Should I?

T

Theredbaron

I have been following the Pandora for quite some time. I think it looks awesome, and love the clam shell. I am a bit tough on screens, and I really need them. But I have a problem. My psp has recently died, as did my Ramos T12. So my q is should I wait till the pandora is fully out, or get something like the jxd v3 to tide me over till I can get one?
I don't think I would preorder, is it going to take months for it to get into a more general release? I really want to have a pandora, but it is a bit of a slow release.

If you don't want to preorder, you are out of luck. The next batch will be for preorder, too.

At most there are 2 months before release.
More likely it is within 2 weeks of release.
(To start shipping)

Personally, I would attempt to preorder from the first batch now. Yesterday I would not have projected my personal optimism on others, but it's looking good now (and there always seem to be enough cancellations for new orders to slip in at the end.)

The second batch seems likely to take Longer Than Expected simply based on trends ;-)

I'm hesitant to say this, but it really does look like it's only a few weeks from shipping. It's a pretty good time to preorder. It's more like an order really :p

Other options include getting one on ebay after the first batch ships (I'm guessing a few will pop up there, but you'll pay a premium of course), or waiting for the second batch - which is also preorder, and probably 4+ months away.

I say go for it. This will be one killer device, and I'm starting to feel (dare I say it) optimistic about seeing it ship in the next few weeks. :eek:

You could write to Open Pandora and find out whether you can get into the first batch. In addition, you can wait just a few days and see if these samples cases are approved as the final version. It seems like we should know around Sunday to Tuesday next week. I don't think there's going to be a sudden spike in interest if the news on the sample cases is positive, so if there are a number of first batch pre-orders are still available, it seems worth waiting a few days to see what's going on.

Also, there's a rumor just today that Sony may plan a "PSP-Go relaunch" with maybe a reduced price. So that may be another reason to wait.

wermy said:
I say go for it. This will be one killer device, and I'm starting to feel (dare I say it) optimistic about seeing it ship in the next few weeks. :eek:
+1 on the got for it. +1 on the few weeks. I reckon we should see a few this month and the rest before the end of March.

Last edited by a moderator:
I preordered right after breaking my previous personal carry computer, the OQO 01+. I've been surviving the wait with a Zipit Z2.
poolrad.jpg
zipit-z2-wireless-messenger.jpg

They sell for 50 USD and less... got mine for $25; my girlfriend got one for $12.50 on clearance at Target back in October. This site has a very recent, very awesome Debian build with emulators, etc... preconfigured for it. Very cool device for the price. If you want an odd, pocketable hacker tool for random computer tasks and minor gaming, it's great... if you're not into playing with Linux and want a device optimal for gaming, I retract my recommendation.

x86Daddy said:
I preordered right after breaking my previous personal carry computer, the OQO 01+. I've been surviving the wait with a Zipit Z2.
poolrad.jpg

They sell for 50 USD and less... got mine for $25; my girlfriend got one for $12.50 on clearance at Target back in October. This site has a very recent, very awesome Debian build with emulators, etc... preconfigured for it. Very cool device for the price. If you want an odd, pocketable hacker tool for random computer tasks and minor gaming, it's great... if you're not into playing with Linux and want a device optimal for gaming, I retract my recommendation.
Holy crap, this is really cool. Any tips on where to get one for cheap? They seem to be $50 everywhere I looked. I'll seriously order one like right now if you can give me a cheaper place to order from. at $50 I'll have to think about it for a bit.

rabidpoobear said:
x86Daddy said:
poolrad.jpg

Holy crap, this is really cool. Any tips on where to get one for cheap? They seem to be $50 everywhere I looked. I'll seriously order one like right now if you can give me a cheaper place to order from. at $50 I'll have to think about it for a bit.
They are crap. The screen looks horrid, the buttons feel cheap, it doesn't sound good, battery life is not best, and it has cheap easy-break components. My sister was SO excited when she was getting hers, but It turned out to be a worthless piece of junk to rip off teens on a budget.
I know because it is right around the corner in the shelf, unusable.

wermy said:

may88 said:
wermy said:
+1 on the got for it. +1 on the few weeks. I reckon we should see a few this month and the rest before the end of March.

GizmoTheGreen said:
i say go for it
waterboy_2.jpg

Kloplop321 said:
rabidpoobear said:
[snip me being excited]
They are crap. The screen looks horrid, the buttons feel cheap, it doesn't sound good, battery life is not best, and it has cheap easy-break components. My sister was SO excited when she was getting hers, but It turned out to be a worthless piece of junk to rip off teens on a budget.
Wow, that's a very negative review. That's really too bad. I guess I won't be getting one then.

SONY said:
(quote)

(quote)

(picture)
No comforting words of your own?

I'll say it: Go for it, it is an AWESOME device and it is SOOO darn close

Kloplop321 said:

I still want one, for hacking. Has it an standard minijack audio port? A tiny and cheap device with LCD screen, keyboard and wifi and runs linux. It's a dream.

...Oh wait...!!

....No, not wait, Pandora is not cheap :lol:

The zipit z2 would make a good chumby-like alarm clock. I have been wanting to make one since a few months but haven't found the hardware....until now??

And alarm clock is not the only use I see for it. Media center remote for XBMC? I'll take two or three zipits, I think :lol:

EDIT: where can I buy it for cheap? I've only found an online shop where they sold it for 70 euros plus 20 or 30 euros for shipping :(

Should I?

Should you write more descriptive thread titles? Yes, yes you should. /douchebagishness

I prefer to only buy things that I actually want. So, do you think that the jxd v3 will satisfy your desires, or are you only considering it because you have a pocket to fill?

efegea said:
I still want one, for hacking. Has it an standard minijack audio port? A tiny and cheap device with LCD screen, keyboard and wifi and runs linux. It's a dream.

The zipit z2 would make a good chumby-like alarm clock. I have been wanting to make one since a few months but haven't found the hardware....until now??

And alarm clock is not the only use I see for it. Media center remote for XBMC? I'll take two or three zipits, I think :lol:

EDIT: where can I buy it for cheap? I've only found an online shop where they sold it for 70 euros plus 20 or 30 euros for shipping :(
I wish I knew where to find them for cheap now... I bought from a retail store when they were on clearance, months ago. My recommendation is to save a search on eBay. The jack on the left is a 3.5mm stereo jack, and alsamixer can adjust its volume independently from the built-in, very quiet, mono speaker below the keyboard. I *do not* recommend this as an alarm clock though, unless you're comfortable putting together an NTP script that runs at startup after establishing wifi... there appears to be no internal clock, and I have to set it manually whenever I want accurate system time. Still, Chumby-guts kits still cost over twice the price.

Back