Worth buying Pandora after Pyra announcement?

robohappy

Hi im a new user and I have been interested in getting an Open Pandora for a long time. In fact I was seriously going to order one until I heard of the announcement of the Pyra. So my question is, should I get a Pandora or simply wait till the Pyra comes out. BTW is there an estimate date when the Pyra will be out?

No date for the Pyra.

In order to choose between the Pyra and the OP, the big question is what do you plan to do with the device ?

Hi, I'm new user also. Not yet own open pandora, but really looking forward to Pyra

And judging by the blog periodically written by EvilDragon. I would assume that it would be that this year is the release of Pyra

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I'm new user also. Not yet own open pandora, but really looking forward to Pyra

And judging by the blog periodically written by EvilDragon. I would assume that it would be that this year is the release of Pyra
There is still some big design things that need to be worked out, think sometime 2015 at the earliest and you will be saner. 

I know that I don't have enough time to do all the things I can do and would like to do on my Pandora today. If I got the Pyra today, it wouldn't change much to me... except that I'd have even more things I don't have time to do/play.

If what you'd like to do with such a device is something that can only done on the Pyra, you better wait. Otherwise, waiting for the Pyra can be tempting anyway, but there's no release date for now, and it might very much be a year or even more before you can get one.

Really doubt that. Many consoles in history hit design flaws that need a fair big revamp when made my multi-nationals. This is a small outfit and woudln't hold your breath for a December release.

Couple in the fact Ed's strategy is to grow slowly meaning production will likely be staggered (like the Pandora was/is).

If you're considering a pandora now is a pretty good time as the software library has hit a fairly mature point.

Really doubt that. Many consoles in history hit design flaws that need a fair big revamp when made my multi-nationals. This is a small outfit and woudln't hold your breath for a December release.

Couple in the fact Ed's strategy is to grow slowly meaning production will likely be staggered (like the Pandora was/is).

If you're considering a pandora now is a pretty good time as the software library has hit a fairly mature point.
Yes, that is correct bro ExquisiteCorpse. But when I am hearing the news Open Pandora is already started producing for their final batch. Then I know, I'm too late.

So, I think it would be much better for me, to wait for Pyra,

I bought my OpenPandora fairly recently without knowing anything about the Pyra, while I probably should have waited, I don't think I regret buying the Pandora and might not get the Pyra once it's out (or at all and probably skip to the next iteration). But it really depends on what you want to get it for. If you're getting it for game emulation and you're gonna focus on the console side of things, there are cheaper alternatives (GCW-Zero, etc), or if you're like me and want it for old computer emulation (MS-DOS among others) Pandora will be more than adequate in that regard.

I think my means of usage will be like everyone here. As another ultra-portable PC for learning, studying, playing, making apps and games.

Though my hope is high for a PS2 emulation through Pyra. I can't wait to play Wild arms 3 again :)

Buy a Pandora now, buy a Pyra whenever it is ready. If you're low on cash, you can always sell the Pandora on eBay or something, it's a limited-edition collectors' item, its value will not really go down much. If you're really low on cash, you shouldn't buy either.

yep, bro _wb_, I think I need to save money first for Pyra :)   [start filling piggy bank again]

Though my hope is high for a PS2 emulation through Pyra. I can't wait to play Wild arms 3 again
Since high end desktops struggle with PS2 emulation I highly doubt it would be anywhere near playable on the Pyra.. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised.. but I doubt it possible.

Though my hope is high for a PS2 emulation through Pyra. I can't wait to play Wild arms 3 again
Since high end desktops struggle with PS2 emulation I highly doubt it would be anywhere near playable on the Pyra.. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised.. but I doubt it possible.
It seems very unlikely, and if it is even possible at all, it would be not immediately available when the Pyra is released. It may be something like DS, PSP or DC emulation for the Pandora -- possible, at least for some games, but only available after several years. Or it may be not possible at all. Don't hold your breath.

Buy a Pandora now, buy a Pyra whenever it is ready. If you're low on cash, you can always sell the Pandora on eBay or something, it's a limited-edition collectors' item, its value will not really go down much. If you're really low on cash, you shouldn't buy either.
This is a quote of my plan hehehe :)

I own a Pandora and absolutely love it, but like he had said, and as I figured, it is a "limited-edition" kind of thing and once the Pandora's are out of production, and before the production of the Pyra, I plan to sell mine...save it my money and use it to and order a Pyra when the time comes :)

or knowing myself, I probably will love the Pandora too much I might just hold onto it and show my grandchildren 30 years from now and show how lame I was because I had to use my hands and now everyone just plugs cables into their brains (jk).

Anyways that was my initial plan even though I may not stick with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who knows if a secret PS2 emulator is currently in the works exclusively for Pyra ..... -_-

Who knows if a secret PS2 emulator is currently in the works exclusively for Pyra ..... -_-
If there was some kind of magical emulator being developed in secret.. it won't be any where at playable speeds.

Safe Pyra enhancement guesses:

Emulation

Many more emulators at full speed, GBA through possibly DC

- DS games should be much more amazing on the Pyra... here's hoping

- PSP games ought to be much more playable without such a large need for hacks.

Much improved DosBox performance, especially for Pentium era games, and games that are higher res than 640x480

- Looking forward to Elder Scrolls Arena/Daggerfall to be far more playable.

Much improved Qemu performance, higher Windows 95/98 screen resolution.

- Looking forward to Magic the Gathering, Might and Magic 6, 7, 8, Wizardry 8

Many more arcade games supported, more accurate emulation

Gaming

Many games that had to be shrunk down to 800x480/640x480 and were natively 800x600 or 1024x768 suddenly fit on screen now

- Uplink becomes far more easy to port/play

- Battle for Wesnoth gets a lot more screen space to display things.

SWF games may have the needed CPU grunt to work better

- Binding of Isaac might become really playable

Java games will have some much needed performance boost

- A lot of the more complex games become playable... somebody *might* take a stab at getting OpenGL layer working here... or not

Non Gaming bonuses:

GIMP, LibreOffice, CodeBlocks all suddenly get more screen real estate for displaying menus and becoming much more full desktop versions

Better screen, more aliased fonts to display, more text on screen, etc.

Better browser experience, as you can display more on screen at a time if you want

And... a few things I wouldn't hold my breath on...

- PS2/Xbox games or higher

- Vita/3DS games... technically possible, but not likely to play much other than demos

- Any Windows games that require a 3d graphics card

- Windows XP emulation in Qemu (might happen... but who knows how well it will work)

Anyway... still say it's worth getting a Pandora now... I'm not convinced that the gaming/emulation is going to be light years ahead for the Pyra for the majority of games, just smoother... 

Back