So after roughly 1 year of Pandora ownership...

MrConfusion

Very Active Member
... I just ordered another Pandora :wub: .

In theory that should just about summarize things, but since I feel talkative and the kids are finally asleep, I'll let the text flow for a while so you can all nod "yea" and fell happy about having the same beautiful device :D ...

In tech terms it has been a wonderful year indeed with this wonderful little device at my disposal! I don't think I've ever owned a device before in my life that would have become this "glued to me". Well, maybe the first Nokia Communicator, but that was for very different reasons... like being a phone and a calendar... the Pandora is just so much more :) . People I meet do notice I own one since they rarely see me without it popping up in my hands at some point...

Yes, I could easily still live without the Pandora, because I could switch back to my old setup (Palm devices for portability, laptop for Real Work). But I'd hate to do that. It would feel cumbersome, messy and inefficient.

The Pandora has basically now been integrated to my work workflow. All the little helping utilities and spreadsheets now run on the Pandora... they used to run on a Palm and a PC, PalmOS, Windows and Linux... some things here, some things there... all of it a mess... No more: all that stuff is in the Pandora now, because it is small enough that I bother to take it with me wherever I go.

And even better, whenever I have time to spare the Pandora provides me with the kind of entertainment I haven't been able to enjoy properly for ages: Coding and gaming, without wrist aches (the aches just don't seem to appear on the Pandora unless I really, really do long typing/gaming sessions with it!). And I can do these wherever, whenever, I have the chance for it. Especially for coding it has revived a hobby I almost forgot I had before the kids started "popping up" and my wrist started developing pains!

Though I've cursed the state of commenting in OSS several times I've had incredibly fun hacking stuff like SDL and the UAE revisions - integrating them to my environment the way I want them. And it's still WIP, because I code in spurs of a few weeks, then play a game with the "fruits of my labor", then code again... Incredibly fun! Really! I cannot thank ED enough for fighting the Big Fight and thus making it possible for me to finally get this device after years of waiting. While using this thing, I often feel like I'm 19 again. And not just because the games are the the same, but because the "feel" is just "right there", if you know what I'm saying.

I considered whether I should order a second 1 GHz Pandora for a very long time, what with the Pyra being prepared for launch and everything, but in the end:

• The Pandora is fast enough for what I need it for and I've been using a Classic so far, so the 1GHz I now ordered will be even snappier!
  • If I calculated right, the dots in the Pandora screen are slighly larger compared to the Pyra, assuming it's the BOE display that gets chosen (less DPI is better in my book and I still prefer pixellated text etc. to smoothed text)
  • Important: The changes I've done to the software bits and pieces I use on the Pandora have taken so much time that I don't want to risk them not being trivially compatible with the Pyra
    they probably are, but they aren't guaranteed to be and in any case there'll be major app and library revision changes, so porting the changes (especially kernel, SDL) to newer versions will be required
[*]Having two devices of the same type will have a lot of advantages for me, for example: leave one compiling a larger piece of software at home, take the other with me, shared charger, batteries etc.
[*]Fits my cool and practical existing leather "case" which I had some trouble locating ;) .

When I start lusting after the Pyra I can afford it (unless ridiculously expensive) now that the Pandora has shown there is real value in owning one - that was always the main counterargument for getting the Pandora, the main reason I kept on waiting an eternity for Craig to deliver and didn't want to spend more money: "That thing looks like a toy... it's a spiritual successor of an overgrown gameboy, it remains to be seen whether it is really what it appears to be under the hood.".

I don't know yet whether I'll be in the first wave of Pyra preorders. Even if I do preorder it, it probably will stay at home for the first few months, because a lot of my work workflow now revolves around the Pandora and if it aint broke, there's no need to fix it... But we'll see how the Pyra project evolves... A lot of the discussion going on around the Pyra kind of doesn't concern me. For example, the keyboard layout does not really matter, as I will customize it anyways, just like I did on the Pandora. In fact I think it would be cool if you could order the Pyra as a "Das Keyboard"-like Ultimate version option ;) (no labels on keys at all - choose your own layout, then memorize it).

I think for me, the Pyra could perhaps offer (in order of significance):

• Longer battery life assuming downclocking etc. would save it - I don't think I'd switch software to heavier apps for most apps
    Coming from Palm handhelds I'm still often left with a dead battery on the Pandora... I just cannot wrap my head around charging every fourth day or so... the Palm would go on for a couple of weeks if I only used it as a PDA
  • My typical day to day Pandora use is still as a PDA, not as a coding/gaming device... when I use it for hobbies I notice the battery easier than when I just pop it open after a day of standby...
[*]Better emulation:
  • Faster Dosbox, with a second core to allow for Roland MT-32 emu process... well there goes the battery life then, though... plus I seriously doubt OMAP5 would be up to running current MT32Emu as it is: it has been optimized to reproduce the oscillators, filters and effects almost perfectly... but very CPU intensively
    Yes, I compiled MT32Emu on the Pandora and toyed with the idea of cutting the fat, but it's a huge undertaking and there has been a lot of easier and more "quick returns" hacking to be done... It'll have to wait for the Pyra
[*]A single, really fully compatible UAE. So far I have been successfull in getting most things to run properly by switching cores as neccessary, but, for example, Times Of Lore seems to have artifacts (timing issues in graphics emulation?) and some games simply freeze no matter which core I use for UAE4All... and this is stuff that comes from the emulated Amiga side, so it it is nontrivial to fix them. But the advanced (PC-originating) UAE versions can be CPU hogs too, so it will be interesting to see how speedily they run and how much battery that speed will drain
[*]C64 is pretty much "done for" already. It works, it's perfect enough.
[*](... aaaaand just so you are not left wondering: I really don't give crap about other devices, so improvements on things like N64 and Nintendo DS are just so much random noise to me)

It's amazing really: When I still didn't have the Pandora I always kept saying: "It's going to be replacement for the Palms, not for the laptop."... Yet, the laptop is exactly what it replaced: I rarely carry my laptop with me to work these days. On the other hand, when I'm on a holiday and I do not think I need the Pandora during the day at the Zoo, it's the Palm I still take with me simply to take notes and have a quick game of chess while waiting in the car... It's like: things turned out exactly as I did not expect them to turn out, but good anyways :rolleyes: .

And again: Thanks to ED for taking over when disaster struck!!!

I own 3. One is at home permanently hooked up to the big retro TV for retro stuff.  The other is always by my side wherever I go.  The last is for my collection. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had a similar experience. What I bought mine to replace didn't get replaced so much, but, to my surprise, it has made me much less reliant on laptops. And I think I have only turned on my netbook once or twice since I got my Pandora.

Whe I went to Ohio Linux Fest, I did not take my laptop at all and I was able to follow along with talks (it was funny watching the guy next to me double-take as he realized "he's using vim on that little thing!"), and do everything else I needed to do. I even used PuTTY to ssh into a box at work to fire up Firefox over XForwarding so I could fix something on the network.

That's why I am so excited about the Pyra. It will have a better screen and keyboard for desktop app use and typing, it will be fast enough that I will use it for almost all my web browsing (I tend to default to my phone or computer still as the Rebirth is just a little slow for modern websites), and I might not even need to carry around a hotspot any more if the T-Mobile SIM works in the 3G slot without T-Mobile's network blocking the traffic. HDMI + keyboard + trackball when at home means I can give my laptop to the kids for Minecraft.

It has also mostly replaced my DS XL as well. I still have some games to play on that, but they have been collecting dust as the emulation has been so good that I just keep playing on the Pnadora instead. Like you, I have noticed that playing on the OpenPandora does not bother my hands or wrists at all. If I use the DS XL for too long, I start getting hand cramps. Not sure exactly why, but this is making me consider just downloading the ROMs for the DS carts I have and leave them in their cases.

Anyway, thanks for sharing! You should get connected to Ekianjo so he can post that on his Pandora blog.

Back