Should We Move? - Forum Transfer Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
'nubie' said:
I don't have any qualms about letting ED have the forums, as long as Craig isn't a moderator (either in person or through puppets). I don't mind craig being who he is, just he shouldn't get to censor any part of the community.
I'm surprised you think I'd want to, I've never shown any interest in being a mod of any forum anywhere, but what i find more alarming is you think I'd ever censor anything, away from these boards I'm very much in to anti-censorship issues in the UK.

If I had any say it would be that there should be less censorship on these very boards, and less banning.

I miss you quasist.

Last edited by a moderator:
4. He dont wanna give back gp32x.de domain / server to someone [ even from forum ] because of nostalgic accent of gp32x.de

yay!

How about stripping the mod status from the traitor/attention whore/power mungler now?

'StreaK' said:
1. Hando is not planning to dissappear from the gp32x/gp2x scene
Thats very good. :)

2. Because of "delicate" situation with the server on which lays gp32x.de , all messages sent to Hando , are marked as "SPAM",
3. Also he gets mainly 300-350 spam mails daily on his email account , thats why sometimes he dont have enegry to dig up everything daily.
4. He dont wanna give back gp32x.de domain / server to someone [ even from forum ] because of nostalgic accent of gp32x.de

Well, all of that would've been no problem if he just moves to our server.
Spamfilter does work very well and he wouldn't need to give up the domain or anything else.
It would still be his domain, we would be the administrator, but it would be on a new, free server.

5. About Chip's information about Donations: Hando told clearly that there wasn't any donation fund created, and he only gets ONE paypal donation since starting gp32x.de

Still I offered him support or payment quite a few time and he didn't want it from me...

6. And for the end, he dont wanna promise anything but he have plans to support gp32x [ and change few things ] in near future, but everythings in his life need to clear, firstly.

I know he had some trouble in real life. I really do hope he can get over with this soon.
On the other hand, he did tell me quite a few times already he wants to improve / fix / change the site... and there was always some trouble in real life.

The problem is, if somebody doesn't have a few days per month for such a big forum... how would that work?

The ideal scenario in my opinion would be to move that site as quickly as possible to my server - with hando as admin as it used to be and him keeping the rights for the domain.
If the server goes down, I can fix it without having major downtimes (handos provider does seem to have some problems). hando wouldn't have to pay anything for bandwidth or hosting.
I'd really like to support him somehow in his real life, so if any money would help, I'll be glad to pay him monthly a nice donation for the boards as well.

But that would mean, that he should have at least a few days per month to fix any problems (like the archive on frontpage, that link and '-bug, add subforums, etc.).

So... if it would turn out like this, I'd really appreciate it.

But in case it won't, we need to have some backup boards... in case anything major happens to those here.

Oh, and I also didn't like how chip started this here. It's definately no news and definately not a "we're moving". It should have been a suggestion with discussion - but we all do some mistakes, don't we?

Last edited:
so what: are we moving now or not? Because I moved already moved my topic and started posting on the new forum to get some more activity :p
This is confusing..
In the case that we are moving we should have a new skin on the new forum (I would be fine with the default phpbb skin).

EvilDragon said:
But in case it won't, we need to have some backup boards... in case anything major happens to those here.

Oh, and I also didn't like how chip started this here. It's definately no news and definately not a "we're moving". It should have been a suggestion with discussion - but we all do some mistakes, don't we?
Yes, we definitely need more than one board to talk about the topics this board supports, but the "We are moving" in every forum "news" section (so it showed up about 4 times on the main page) when Chip isn't even the board admin comes across strongly as an arrogant person. I've never thought of Chip like that before. I don't think anyone would have minded if it was like "Should we move?" or posted by Hando.

JayFoxRox said:
so what: are we moving now or not?
There is no "moving". People are just using the forums they prefer. This may or may not include this forum.

'EvilDragon' said:
HAHAAHAHA! Now that's arrogance! Chip wasn't acting out on his own. You gave him the instructions knowing he had the Moderator status to carry it out! Now your blaming him and trying to wipe your hands clean. Thats insulting to him and this community! My apologies to you Chip.

'Squidge' said:
There is no "moving". People are just using the forums they prefer.
This may be the final answer for "shoud we move?" Theres no doubd that some issues with IPB board shoud be fixed , but theres only minor bugs, nothing big really.

I'll ask Hando tomorrow if he can do backup the database [ just for the case ].

I've never held issue with chip (even when being banned by him) until this.

In a way, I sorta agree with you. I've been here quite long as well , back when this was all about the gp32. Honestly, its the momentum is shifting....and sometimes you gotta move with it. Yes we are talking about a console that doesn't phyisically exist in our hands yet, but you gotta face facts, this forum will crash again.....its a given, it can't handle the traffic. And to be fair, I would love for this place to get fixed. There is alot of history here, both with news and coding competitions and alot of other things that makes this place original.

Why is everyone insisting that the forums are going to crash any day and that the site is doomed to a crash? Where is the evidence for this? I know it was hacked once a couple years ago and there was a virus on it at one time. Other than that I can't remember the site being down for any significant period. I don't visit the site every day, so maybe I missed something. It's weird that all of the sudden since this was posted, people have the site on it's death bed. Is there any evidence to support this? All computers will fail eventually, but why the idea the failure is imminent?

Chris

My suitcase is staying firmly in my closet.

You can get the bulldozers in for all i care, But i`m not budging an inch.

Not_be_moved.jpeg

Trooper

I feel like he could always give someone else admin access (or some sort of access) to the server so that they could work to fix some of the problems. I totally understand that he wouldn't want to give up the server or domain, but giving someone else access would be very useful for the times when the server goes down or a problem arises and he's too busy to fix it.

StreaK said:
'daclassicgamingmaster' said:
So uhh....are we removing Chip as Internets Spokesman? Cuz you know, I'll settle for that.
Theres no need to rush anything, we all should calm down slightly. Wait few days , maybe?

angrymob.png

'StreaK' said:
1. Hando is not planning to dissappear from the gp32x/gp2x scene
Thank you Streak! Sounds good enough to me, a hobbyist running a forum for hobbyists :) This place`s history and personality cannot be duplicated.

Pleasant trip (Chip).

'daclassicgamingmaster' said:
So uhh....are we removing Chip as Internets Spokesman? Cuz you know, I'll settle for that.
Strip Chip of his Moderator Status? No...no...no. Have pity on Chip. The OP team refer to him as their PR guy. Truth is he is more of that one lone guy that sits in the Complaints Department thats constantly getting yelled at by customers and being blamed for everything the OP team screws up and lately thats just about everything. He is not even getting paid. If anyone should be stripped of the Moderator Status I elect EvilDragon. Chip followed orders. EvilDragon gave them and safely had Chip carry them out escaping any repercussions.
As for moving this forum, I highly doubt the OP team is going to let this one go. Think about folks. GBAX is online stocked with A320s and next week the WIZ. Now all the sudden OP is pushing for a move? A coincidence or a business agenda?

whats with all the drama? OMG THE UNIVERSE IS ENDING OH NOES!!! Personally, I am only slightly annoyed by the links not working, but I assumed Hando would get around to fixing that eventually, or at least give someone here access to fix it (isn't there anyone here that Hando would trust to fix it or what?)

the truth is that some people have the reason to stay , other to go. Of course from business point of view , OP team move could be good, BUT ALSO if we think and we care about comfort of using Forum, OP team doing right thing.

In other hand its better to fix gp32x.de forum and not to share community , than make a big bang, fuck everything and burn all bridges... while jumping on another forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back