Should We Move? - Forum Transfer Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex. said:
The forums will lose their focus, this will no longer be a tight community which was what made it such a nice place. There are plenty of already established DS, PSP, and I bet even IPhone forums, why make another one? I thought this was a community for fully open handhelds, why should this change?

Many of the forums are also plainly useless imho. If we have more than 10 (sub-)forums the discussion will become VERY spread-out. And we don't really have that huge of a community to speak of.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about headers instead of sub-forums?

I think it should be kept to the 'real' openhandhelds so as not to attract that crowd...

You want httrack, it's and open source website copier that should be able to archive the entire site as if you're a guest.

CODE
http://www.httrack.com/

dflemstr said:
Alex. said:
The forums will lose their focus, this will no longer be a tight community which was what made it such a nice place. There are plenty of already established DS, PSP, and I bet even IPhone forums, why make another one? I thought this was a community for fully open handhelds, why should this change?

Many of the forums are also plainly useless imho. If we have more than 10 (sub-)forums the discussion will become VERY spread-out. And we don't really have that huge of a community to speak of.

Yeah, I'd say get rid of the excess forums IE.

Nokia Tablet Discussions 0

No posts

Netbooks, MIDs and UMPCs 0

No posts

Apple iPhone Discussion 0

No posts

Android Discussion 0

No posts

Nintendo DS / GBA Discussion 0

No posts

Sony PSP Discussion 0

No posts

Other Handheld Discussion
Other wise, it's not the successor to GP32X, merely a gaming forum, with a diluted community.

I was thinking that with some creative scraping of the lo-fi version of this site, and a clever enough PHP programmer (I'm pretty clever BTW). One might be able to scrape all the entries out of this site and inject them into the new database.

Oh my god, ripping the forums is a nightmare
(even the lo-fi version)
it's not a viable solution it appears, so either you just let the forums go or you do somethingl ike what mindlord says

Having to hold my tongue here to avoid cheek, but I'm in favour of a move - this board just isn't being maintained AFAICS. Sad - but the definition of madness is to keep trying the same thing expecting a different result. We keep hoping for a working GP32X forum, and it isn't happening. Move onwards and hope for upwards.

'Alex.' said:
Besides the usual nostalgia (that unfortunately started to die in recent times), the only drawback I see to the new forums is the overwhelming number of platforms the forum will cover. GP32, GP2X, Wiz, and Pandora were a given, and perhaps A320 too, but now you also have IPhone, Android, PSP, DS, GBA, Nokia, and UMPC sections!...

Agree, keep the mainstream away. "Other consoles" forum should be fine for those who need it.

Auritribe said:
i support this decision. but seriously...get rid of the excess junk forums like iphone and psp.

Yeah, it doesn't need to be another dcemu or whatever. I think nokia ones should be gone too, we already have many dedicated communities to that on the internet to that. the current ones + dingoo seems most fitting imo

Wow this is really inappropriate. The OP team really does not have the authority to rally a move on someone else's board. If the OP team wants to announce a new forum opening that's fine but placing a news/sticky rallying against this forum is an abuse of Chip's moderator's status. Hando was good enough to let the OP team have a home here to set up but then to coax everyone to leave because it isnt good enough for them is just plain wrong. If the OP team is ready now to go then go but you have no right to pounce on the board this way. If someone else attempted to do this the thread would be closed. Set up your OP forum and announce it when your done but this should stop.

DisgruntleElf said:
Wow this is really inappropriate. The OP team really does not have the authority to rally a move on someone else's board. If the OP team wants to announce a new forum opening that's fine but placing a news/sticky rallying against this forum is an abuse of Chip's moderator's status. Hando was good enough to let the OP team have a home here to set up but then to coax everyone to leave because it isnt good enough for them is just plain wrong. If the OP team is ready now to go then go but you have no right to pounce on the board this way. If someone else attempted to do this the thread would be closed. Set up your OP forum and announce it when your done but this should stop.

Uh..
I don't think you quite understand this.

DisgruntleElf said:
I understand your feelings, but I think you're getting it wrong:

Chip said:
We've already made the decision to try to move everybody. We can't force people to move. If everyone keeps posting here instead of there, then that is the community's decision. At least when this board finally does bite the bullet, the new board will be ready.

If you don't wanna move then that's your call, in fact you can perfectly be posting in both forums. :)

But it's necessary for people to start considering that these boards might crash without proper maintenance. It's not like OpenPandora is locking down gp32x.de, because we all agree: This is home. We didn't want this to happen. But these things happen.

(naw)mcx posted on Apr 24 2009 at 06:22 PM said:
DisgruntleElf said:
Wow this is really inappropriate. The OP team really does not have the authority to rally a move on someone else's board.

Uh..
I don't think you quite understand this.

yeah re-read the original post, it lays out that every attempt to work/contact with hando was made. If we have another attack that brought the forums down like last time, it probably isnt coming back.
Time to end that gamble and fold and take what we can with us.

As a relatve old-timer, I'm open to the move - BUT I would dearly love to have the old forums archived or integrated to keep the history alive. Oh the fun of reading through the GP32's teething, Peter R's "growing up", DaveC's relentless prodding, the Epicentre saga and even Chad78!

Also agree about keeping the new forum's front page to the REAL open handhelds - GP32, GP2X, Wiz, Pandora, and currently the Dingoo since it is gaining quite a following here (although it could wane like the JXD31 or whatever). Everything else should be in "Other" - or perhaps sub-forums inside there.

But ideally, this forum would just be fixed or handed over to get properly maintained...

Goodbye all who leave, wish I could say I will miss most of you but I won't!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back