Should We Move? - Forum Transfer Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
'hando' said:
So you managed to drag me out of the shadow. Impressive.
Heh - if it was because of the new forum and chip's post, then I can say it definately was worth the work :D

Anyway, here is quick info about current site/server status. As for today server is working and I can't see any reasons for anything that can change this situation. Backup of the database and the whole site is done in regular manner every 24h so there is no need to afraid of anything.

That's very good to know :D Thanks for the info :)

Im not quiting the scene I just live in the shadow of it. As far as I know I pay regularly for site hosting and domain so it rather wont end as a parked domain page soon. I agree Im not active on board but it doesnt mean I dont read post or visit site. When I see the store I care if its open and dont need to se the owner at the door. For me gp32x.de is very important and I am not giving up on anything.

That's true - the team does a good work of moderating everything. You don't need to be an active poster - but if some guys have problems that the mods can fixed but only the owner can, the owner should be there :)

Problems:
Yeah like everywhere there are some problems. Doubled apostrophes can be fixed using this steps from gp2.eXe post

They can... but that only works for FireFox and some derivates.
I'm using Opera and Kazehakase - on both it won't work ;)

While workarounds are nice, they don't fix the problem itself. And for new guys it's kinda weird they need to install a fix first ;)

Mail problem. I admit its annoying. It's also the reason I missed many of mails (including from Chip/Ed). The problem is site generate thousend of mails/PMs monthly and all notifications which are send to notify about eg. ne PM in your inbox are sooner or later threated as a spam. That's the mark of times we are living. Can we change it ? Probably yes. I don't thing we are the only site using IPB and having this problems. Probably it is solved in actual version of the board as well as many other smaller bugs. Forum upgrade can probably fix things up.

Well, as said: I still offer you the full upgrade costs to the latest version.
You think you owe me a lot? Well, without this site, I would've probably never sold the gp2x or helped out with the Pandora. So I do owe you at least the same.
And why should YOU have to cover all the costs alone?
It's a community site and I think it's fair if others who are involved somehow also do pay a bit :)

My mistakes: well, I have to agree I should grant Administrator privileges to someone from Mod team but i didnt. My mistake hoever I actually was pretty sure I gave it to ED but as I just checked I was wrong. Mea culpa. Not responding to emails. Thats kind of my fault as well but from the other hand my email hando@gp32x.de is targeted by I think all spammers in the world :) so yeah I lost some emails beetwen all those nigerian scams and penis enlargement circa about 300-350 a day. however I managed to find those from Chip. I should have gave my private email to mod team but i didn't. I can give it now so it'll solve another problem.

Good to know you have a private eMail you can probably post at the internal mods section :)
If you need any eMail address (hando@gp32x.de, etc.), my server has a very well working SpamAssassin installed.

Well, ED was always a great friend of gp32x.de and he is actually the main reason this site is still online. I owe him a lot. This is also why I didn't actually wanted him to pay from his private cash for something he shouldnt. I thouhgt that maybe some day I'll managed to buy forum upgrade myself but there was always something. Anyway, as you probably noticed this site is not supported by any ads etc. Of course there were a few in the past but mostly done for free and strictly realated to gp32/gp2x. My experience with google ads ended in banning my google account. I don't want to say it won't be ads in future but for today we are ads free so there are no income from this site in any way. Well there is paypal button on the front page so if you want to donate to the site feel free to do it but I want you to know that you don't have to.

My guess is, most of the folks probably don't know there's PayPal button, as most directly go to the boards (well, at least, I do :D).
There's nothing that interesting on the frontpage at the moment, the archive link is broken, the news can also be seen when checking the board (and it doesn't display all news posts...)

So the frontpage might need an update - or maybe you should place the PayPal button somewhere on this board :)

I'm still happy if I can pay for any updates and help you out a bit with that. :D

This site was created with open spirit in mind. As with all open "stuff" there are some flaws but still its free and open. Nobody is forced to anything. The are no ads and anything, its flowing. There are no big investments in powerful server farm, up to date software etc. I am not related in anyway with any hardware makers/distributors etc. so I am free from influences and nobody pushes me to do stuff I wouldnt like. And those condition I think created one of the best opensource gaming communites around. Of course we can improve things. As I said there is Paypal button on the front. You can use it. It's free to use it :) And when the money will be enough I can upgrade forum, think about other important stuff to improve our being here. And of course spend the rest of the money on the beer :) So I think this long pargraph explain somehow why I didn't wanted ED to pay for anything on purpose.

It does a bit - however, I didn't know that myself until now.
And... who tells you I won't use that PayPal button to spend the money for the upgrade right now? ;)

How much is it we need to gather? I'm sure we can get that from the community here - without forcing them, just by letting them know. :)

I don't know how it'll end. I am pretty sure we should have forum upgrade, front page upgrade, new server but from the other hand I want to keep the spirit of the site free. I hope we will work something out with the team. We improve methods of communicatios. i'll grant administrators rights to a few people. Since the topic started I got plenty of emails with propositions of help and money offers. Thanks for all of them. Please forgive me I won't replay to all of them but please threat this post as an answer to any of you. As for money donations. I you feel you want to donate use Paypal. But think first before you do it :) If it was me I would like to buy myself a few beers than donate to the site with doubled apostrophes bug ;)

Don't worry, I WANT you to keep your site free.
That's why I offered donations, server space, etc. and NO ads to you.
I don't want ads, I just want the site to continue as it is :)

If the server will ever be too expensive or unreliable, you can be sure I can give you all you need on my server. Even if it will just be temporary until you get a new one :)

Ok. Time to take a walk with my daughter

:D Haven't seen any pictures of her for quite a while :)
She's really become a cute young lady already :D

I hope you enjoyed your walk :)

And... last, but not least: I'm glad you're okay, alive and kicking. You never know with the internet today, but for me, you are definately more a friend than just a site admin :)

Last edited:
Rico AND kknd_cf got mod status removed over WarmFluffyUK? Ummm, thats a bit shit. Plus klown was hilarious.

Anyway, glad to see the site might be getting fixed now :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh... great, and just when i was warming to the move.... lol

Hey at least we get some new Admins!

Hando thank you for your explanation, i feel that we as users have let you down in some ways too. I think we can from our side support you better, even it mainly be through donations in paypal. Hando, when ever you need something, dont go solo, there are many here that would help with anything in a second.

I have to say this ending to the 'forum crisis' is befitting of our community, even though it started out nasty, it has ended in a way that I dont think would happen on many other forums.

This debate has seemed to have brought the personal vendetta's to the surface. I think its time to let these go, for the sake of the community. I think most of us are here for our love of games, open source, and having fun.

I can say now I for one am not going anywhere else.

Great to hear from you hando, And that you are alive and well.

I feel pretty guilty, As in all the years i have been here, I have never once made a paypal donation, And am very sad to hear that you have only ever received one donation through paypal, That's pretty atrocious.

It`s been a long time coming, But i have hopefully rectified my tight fisted ways and made a small donation to help keep GP32x where it needs to be. As for a lot of us old timers, It`s has been like a second home.

All the best hando.

Wow, I've sort-of been lerking in the shadows for a while, visting every now and then out of my busy schedule now a days. Sorry and sad to see this site in such a state. There are a lot of memories here. I have my bags packed and am ready to travel back and forth between sites.
move.gif

:(

'finty' said:
Rico AND kknd_cf got mod status removed over WarmFluffyUK? Ummm, thats a bit shit. Plus klown was hilarious.

Anyway, glad to see the site might be getting fixed now :).
Indeed it is. And it looks like Chip will be spared, DESPITE half the mod team being opposed to his actions? :blink:

Thanks for the reply though.

Great news! Hopefully with this the community will rejoin again here.

For those wondering why I was posting on the three forums, well this is the reason. Why pack everything if you don't really know if you're moving? :p

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Indeed it is. And it looks like Chip will be spared, DESPITE half the mod team being opposed to his actions? :blink:
I have a feeling that it's poll time.

pandora said:

No you don't.

PoisonedV said:
pandora said:

No you don't.

No poll, we are not a mob, let the mods / admins decide if any action needs to take place

PoisonedV said:
pandora said:

No you don't.

He made a mistake, I for one accidentally clicked a poll to ban somebody on an online game. I only meant to boot him from the server where we were playing because he was being annoying. I apologized and logged out from shame.

I say just let him be, as long as he understands and is sorry for his error. If he doesn't, a short probation.

Just my opinion.

If Hando has given anybody mod status, can they apply the "magic quotes" fix? I would love to be able to use the forum properly again ;)

( I just realized I have a couple bucks in my Paypal, but I really need some computer screws, so if I can't get them for $2 I will donate the $$ to this site. This was the first forum I ever joined, note my username :) , and I would hate for it to go away. )

Good news, hopefully an extra administrator will sort things out on short notice. Would be nice if it would be taken care of before the Wiz and Pandora launch.

Welcome back Hando! :)

Paypal in polish ? LOL :) Maybe it was the reason :) Anyway it's fixed now.

Reagarding Chip. Well he actually tried to contact me. It was my and my messy mail program fault I didnt answer. Besides he was doing a good work here as a mod and as ED mentioned his action was the reason i came back from the darkness of real life to deal with all the problems. So its rather his decision if he is going to stay or move to openhandhelds forum.

Btw. we started discussion in our super secret XTeam forum how to handle all the changes. So stay tuned :)

And I'd like to thank you for all those supporting PMs. You managed to fill up my inbox which I thought has no bottom :) So thank you :)

Hando, you are the Godfather round these parts, and when Chip went behind the Godfathers back, it was always gonna get messy!

Let us know what kind of costs are involved in maintaining this site, so we can make sure that we have you financially covered for the foreseeable future.

x68000 said:
Hando, you are the Godfather round these parts, and when Chip went behind the Godfathers back, it was always gonna get messy!

Let us know what kind of costs are involved in maintaining this site, so we can make sure that we have you financially covered for the foreseeable future.

Hando already excused chip (for the time being), leave it alone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back