Shoulder buttons as mouse buttons?

MozartVonRobot

Still Fresh
As the topic title suggests, I'm looking for a way to remap the shoulder buttons to be used as mouse buttons (R as left mouse button, L as right mouse button).

This because I wanna try using the right nub as mouse and the left nub as joystick (which I've already found how to do), leaving me with no mouse buttons unless I map them to something else, and the shoulder buttons seem like a good idea.

Is there a not too difficult way to do this, where I'd be able to switch back and forth between modes with relative ease? If so, what way would that be? If not, does anybody know if it's being worked on?

I apologize if this has been brought up before.

I use it that way. works very nice, I forgot how I had configured that. You will find it in our wiki how to setup this, or try searching forums :) I can't find this for you. But when you find it - post here a link :)

I use it that way. works very nice, I forgot how I had configured that. You will find it in our wiki how to setup this, or try searching forums :) I can't find this for you. But when you find it - post here a link :)

I think I found the wiki page, but it says "Seems only to be reported working permanently on HF4 }" (I'm running HF5 - are you running HF4, or does the wiki need updating?), and the description of how to do it is slightly less detailed than I'd like, being a new user and not knowing where everything is or how to do certain things that the wiki page seems to assume the reader to already know. I swear I'm not computer-illiterate, but I'm new to this system, so I could use a bit of guidance.

(Wiki page?)

I kind of wish there was an app for this, like the nub settings, but I'll settle for a more detailed step by step instruction, if this is even accomplishable in HF5. I'm not a big fan of nub-as-mouse-buttons.

When I try to drag and drop (or cut and paste) the file into usr\bin, it doesn't want to do it. Just slides right back to where it came from on the screen. What's up with that? Is it full? Should I not have installed the codec pack on the internal? (I swear that's the only thing I've put there.)

When I try to drag and drop (or cut and paste) the file into usr\bin, it doesn't want to do it. Just slides right back to where it came from on the screen. What's up with that? Is it full? Should I not have installed the codec pack on the internal? (I swear that's the only thing I've put there.)

do you have permissions to write there?

Huh? How do I give myself permission? I thought this was supposed to be an open system.

As stated by gfrancisdev, it's a protection mechanism used in pretty much every modern operationg system; no regulat user have any business touching folders outside their home directory and/or removable media. On a multi-user system, this makes sense. On the pandora, not that much. When you first get your account created, your user is also installed in the "sudoers" file. That means you can temporarly gain full system access. This is only really practical in the terminal. Put xkbset in your home directory, then run this command from the terminal: sudo cp -v xkbset /usr/bin

It will ask for *your* password, and you will see nothing while typing it in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Huh? How do I give myself permission? I thought this was supposed to be an open system.

As stated by gfrancisdev, it's a protection mechanism used in pretty much every modern operationg system; no regulat user have any business touching folders outside their home directory and/or removable media. On a multi-user system, this makes sense. On the pandora, not that much. When you first get your account created, your user is also installed in the "sudoers" file. That means you can temporarly gain full system access. This is only really practical in the terminal. Put xkbset in your home directory, then run this command from the terminal: sudo cp -v xkbset /usr/bin

It will ask for *your* password, and you will see nothing while typing it in.
Is "chmod a+x /usr/bin/xkbset" a command I should do as well? I see it mentioned on the wiki page, but no details are given as to what it is or what it does, or even how to do it. When I put it in the terminal, all I get is "chmod: changing permissions of '/usr/bin/xkbset': Operation not permitted". I'm guessing I've misinterpreted the wiki again.

Also, what about this?

"Create a script (file) with this as contents

#!/bin/sh

xkbset m

xkbset exp =m"

Again, no details are given as to how one would go about doing this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back