Simple Rts

Vynx

SIMPLE RTS

Yes, that is actually the title name ;)

What I propose is this: An RTS game so simple that it shouldn't require too much time and effort to get it running - once that's out of the way, perhaps the code can be worked on by others in the community to expand it, give it a great art design, and perhaps more.

Here's how I imagine it would look at first;

simplerpg3ep.png

Like I said, pretty basic, but that's the point. Two types of units to start with (obviously more would need to be added, otherwise it wouldn't be much of a strategy game. Tanks, defense turrets, and so on). Small ore collectors would be the source of your income, and basic troops would be the backbone of your fighting force. Once that's out the way, adding more units shouldn't be too difficult. Custom units like turrets would take more time, but those can be added later on in the development to expand it.

How will an RTS work on the GP2X? It doesn't have a mouse.

A pause function would be included where you could still select units and issue orders, and those orders would be carried out once the game is unpaused. This will give you time to move your units. A time limit could be introduced to keep you on your toes; it wouldn't be an RTS without having to constantly think about your next move. This could either be a set limit or something you decide upon yourself before setting up a skirmish.

What about detailed information like unit and building health, current research levels, and other information?

Detailed unit and building information can be displayed on another screen with a simple press of the R button, for example, or a menu popup could also be displayed when you select a unit or building, allowing you to check stats, buy more units, research, and so on.

The graphics are kinda crappy, what about better graphics?

Those can always be upgraded, or perhaps even made customisable to the user - the whole point of the project is to start off simple, and then work upon that if the interest is there.

Would the game size be limited to the GP2X screen resolution?

It doesn't have to be, using the joystick and a specific button press could allow you to scroll around the map with ease.

The GP2X is severely lacking any sort of RTS gaming goodness - the system is far from perfect from this sort of game, but with a little tweaking and thought put into it, I bet it could be done to a pretty good degree.

:)

how about a port of liquid war www.ufoot.org/liquidwar. the source is available and there is a linux version available. its a simple yet fun and unique rts

Might be a good idea that. What I forgot to factor in was RTS A.I, and from what I know A.I is a pain in the-, well, a pain in the everything really :lol:

I'd love to see a new RTS on the GP2X though. Not a port, but something fresh that we can say "The GP2X can do".

Last edited by a moderator:
I could work out a couple mock pictures and a few ideas along these lines as well. While not a great artist, I'm not too bad and have a few RTS ideas I could pitch in. I just don't know anything about coding, so I can't do that.

Since my semester is over and my soldering tools are gone, I'm going back to work on freeCNC (Command&Conquer) port for gp2x. What I have already done is...well it compiles and runs but it seems to me that something is messed with opening resource files. Anyway if I will have something done, I will post it.

PS.
Btw I'm planning to write my own RTS engine for gp2x so people could create their games. No plans for AI so far but...who knows. Like with freeCNC, progress is 0%

if not a port maybe someone could use the idea of liquid war to make an rts for the gp2x. the first thing i thought of when i saw your mock up was that game.

the main reason why that game or something like it would really work well for the gp2x is because all you basically do is control the cursor. your "troops" or particles of liquid or whatever follow the cursor and will kill the enemy to reach that cursor. it can be played by up to four players and is easy to play yet if playing with 3 oppenents can be fun and engagine with the positioning and determinig where your cursor needs to be.

so if no one wants to port liquid war they could use that as the start of a gp2x rts and then maybe add cool new gp2x exclusive features from there such as maybe special powers or point on the board that need to be captured or whatever.

ai for this type of rts would easier to program for and this would work well with the gp2x controls. no need to select units since they automaitcally go to the cursor.

in any case an rts for the gp2x would have to have very carefully planned intuitive controls or it could be a chore to play.

also i think i would even more like to see a turn based strategy game for the gp2x. either something in the style of worms/scorched earth type or something like x-com ufo defense/jagged alliance

also i think i would even more like to see a turn based strategy game for the gp2x. either something in the style of worms/scorched earth type or something like x-com ufo defense/jagged alliance

Wasn't there an Advanced Wars clone on the GP32? I'm sure I remember seeing that somewhere.

Cool idea, definatly in the right subforum :).

Although I think it would be much nicer with a less mouse oriented aproach where you have several modes. A mode for selecting a squad of troops would be using the stick to select the nearest squad in the direction you move the stick move the stick again to jump to the next squad in that direction etc. Next you probably want to use the squad to attack so you bring up the attack mode, in which you select a target in the same manner only this time you can only select enemies, or a mode where you only choose a direction of an attack.

I think this together with a nice mode for merging/splitting squads and other modes, would make the game more real-time friendly.

Ravnos, I like your posts man, but your avatar hurts. It moves, so my eyes keep wanting to look at it, and it's completely disgusting. I mean it's not even funny. If it didn't move, I wouldn't have a problem 'cause I wouldn't have the very synapses of how the human brain works pushing agianst me. Please please please change that? I will draw you whatever avatar you want as fair trade :).

Okay, you said the source was lost? I'd love a Advance Wars port because that's my favorite GBA game (also the one I play with my 9yo daughter). Can you elaborate? Maybe we can contact the author?

Cool idea, definatly in the right subforum :).

Although I think it would be much nicer with a less mouse oriented aproach where you have several modes. A mode for selecting a squad of troops would be using the stick to select the nearest squad in the direction you move the stick move the stick again to jump to the next squad in that direction etc. Next you probably want to use the squad to attack so you bring up the attack mode, in which you select a target in the same manner only this time you can only select enemies, or a mode where you only choose a direction of an attack.

I think this together with a nice mode for merging/splitting squads and other modes, would make the game more real-time friendly.

What about unit defining via hotkey? For example - hold down L, and use plus and minus to select a number, then that selection is under that number - you could do this with anything - buildings, units, whatever - all you'd need to do is use the -/+ to select that group again - how's that? ;)

Ravnos, I like your posts man, but your avatar hurts. It moves, so my eyes keep wanting to look at it, and it's completely disgusting. I mean it's not even funny. If it didn't move, I wouldn't have a problem 'cause I wouldn't have the very synapses of how the human brain works pushing agianst me. Please please please change that? I will draw you whatever avatar you want as fair trade :).
Hehe. I blocked the image url ages ago ;) (no offence, Ravnos)

Edit: Wait... I just reread that... you'll draw him a free avatar for having an annoying and offensive one?! Hmm....... :ph34r:

I'd personally like an RTS with graphics like that. Something simple, that allowed a LOT of units. >_>

I'd also LOVE some type of simple way to customize, add, and delte anything in the game. Health, types of damage, size of units, everything. I'd be fine with someone releasing a version that had working AI, resources, and the like, even if it only had one or two units and buildings for each side if there was an easy way to customize everything, even for people with very little knowledge of coding (the most I do is go into PC game files and change things (like pop. limits in RTSs and the resolution in most games...massive armies and high resolutions FTW! >_>).

EDIT: Actually, I wouldn't mind having a game like that for the PC. I'd like the graphics like that too, since I'm no good with modeling... >_>

I'd personally like an RTS with graphics like that. Something simple, that allowed a LOT of units. >_>

I'd also LOVE some type of simple way to customize, add, and delte anything in the game. Health, types of damage, size of units, everything. I'd be fine with someone releasing a version that had working AI, resources, and the like, even if it only had one or two units and buildings for each side if there was an easy way to customize everything, even for people with very little knowledge of coding (the most I do is go into PC game files and change things (like pop. limits in RTSs and the resolution in most games...massive armies and high resolutions FTW! >_>).

EDIT: Actually, I wouldn't mind having a game like that for the PC. I'd like the graphics like that too, since I'm no good with modeling... >_>

Well, that should be possible with scripting (big fan of scripting me ;) ), i'd love to see Simple RTS created with that in mind, being able to alter unit size, health, attack power, price, and name, as well as the building it can be built from - that'd be awsome :)

A bit off-topic,
Has anyone here tried Armor City? Just curious, its a remake of Armor Alley/Rescue Raiders. One of my favorite games of all time and a superb Proto-RTS.
If we ever get wireless/net play orking on the 2X, I hope the developer enables some multi-player.

Tbh, if you got the colourscheme right and abandoned any hope of the game looking "real" (a la, say, Command and Conquer - people look like people, grass looks like grass) you could actually end up with something amazing as a game, regardless of platform.

Imagine, if you will, differentiating between units by shape (say, circle, box, star, triangle) on a vektar-esque zoomable grid. Simple rules - factories do one of two things: produce more of a specific sort of troop (either they're turned on or turned off, but you don't need to choose the troop type) and train troops to be better (which combat would do too, but you risk getting everyone killed).

And that's basically the outline of the game rules. Might also make it easier for AI to be programmed if the rules were kept comparatively simple.

You could, if you wanted to add complexity, then add contour lines to the background to add startegy that way (bonuses if attacking from high up, but time to move a unit between contour lines is constant, not time per pixel), or the classic "wavy blue" river across the middle of a map.

The end result could work very well, I think. Not dissimilar, perhaps, in feel to Darwinia - but without the gorgeous graphical splendour that it has available to it!

I took the original concept you posted about, added a few creative touches of my own, simplified a few of the things I didn't know too much about (resource specifics, terrain detail, the storyline/plot), borrowed a few concepts from a couple other RTS games and created the following mockup of what I imagine the game to be kinda like before the GUI and control and such. To create a bit of DRAMA, I put a small enemy force approaching.

[img]http://members.shaw.ca/winterkid/2xrtsmock.jpg

2xrtsmockleg.jpg

Based on what Tobriand said:

war.png

Can you tell who is flanking who with fighter/bombers? Can you tell which side has the bigger guns, but less corvettes/frigates?

Simplistic symbology, if done right, can tell a lot. After that, it's all gameplay. As you can see here, I assume the ships can rotate their facing, which can be used later for more complicated 2d or even 3d polygons, assuming the game was GPL and someone else came along afterwards.

It's all based on positioning...

war2.png

Here's how this game works.
  1. You have four attack unit types: Capital Ships, Cruisers, Frigates and Fighters selected by pressing SELECT than A,X,B,Y.
  2. You have four support unit types: Mothership (makes more, and repairs), Repairship, Minelayers (every RTS needs something for turtles) and Turrets (mothership makes them and sends them to the square you designate) selected by pressing START than A,X,B,Y.
You can't control who your ships shoot at, you can only control their movement.

Selecting and Movement works in this way...
  • Press THUMBPAD down and you activate the "select grid", which makes the grid show up in the background with the button labels.
  • Press that button and your cursor appears there, 4x as big as usual (takes up the whole Y grid, for example). Press a diagonal to narrow your cursor down (you don't have to). Up assumes diagonal left, left assumes downleft, etcetera, for those accidental presses.
  • To grab grids that don't have a button, just move the grid-cursor with the thumbpad.
  • Press THUMBSTICK again, and whatever ships you have selected will go there.
To move something, you either select ALL of a unit type (SELECT, A would grab your Capitol Ships, wherever they are), or you select units in a grid (of any of the four types you currently are working on, based on whether you pressed SELECT or START last, either attack or support units). For example if we grabbed B we would net either the Mothership or the Frigates, but not both.
  • L, when the thumbstick hasn't been pressed, releases all selected units.
  • If you enter Thumbstick Grid-Select mode with units already selected, it assumes you want to move them. If nothing is selected, is assumes you want to select something, and then move it.

Rock, Paper, Scissors
Fighters go after other Fighters first, then Capitol Ships and Cruisers. Fighters are owned by Frigates. Frigates go after Fighters first, then other Frigates, and suck against Capital Ships. Capital Ships go after Cruisers then Frigates, and suck against Fighters. Cruisers are decent against Capitol Ships, Frigates, and Fighters, but don't own or be owned by anyone.

I think the Rock, Paper, Scissors needs to be change to 4 not 3. I think the grid system needs work - that center area is just too hard to select and you can't macro-select it with a 4x square. Perhaps "Volume -" would select the left two unlabeled squares, "Volume +" would select the right two, and THUMBSTICK down would select the middle two, which it would do every time until you press A,X,B or Y to macro-select another grid area.

Just stuff I come up with quickly. As quick as the timestamp from my last post.

Back