Simple Rts

The first priority should be to get a flexible engine running. It should be very customizable, meaning units/buildings/upgrades can be added with ease by just altering some stats. Then we can go on to actually work out the game mechanics. BTW, Vynx are you the main programmer for this project? If not, who is?

JaqMs posted on Jul 3 2006 at 05:41 PM said:
The first priority should be to get a flexible engine running. It should be very customizable, meaning units/buildings/upgrades can be added with ease by just altering some stats. Then we can go on to actually work out the game mechanics. BTW, Vynx are you the main programmer for this project? If not, who is?

I'm not the main programmer no, Wite Noiz is, but i'm in charge of game design, what goes in and what doesnt - so that's up to me, of course input is welcome from everyone, it's a team effort afterall ;)

Customisability is already being considered, and has been discussed at length with Magnulus.

Currently, the main people working on this are;

Vynx - Concept, game design
Wite Noiz - Programming
Magnulus - Graphics, Animation

They'll overlap obviously, but that's mainly what each person is doing at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really think that I can help at this moment ( maybe I could do some music later, depends on my time, the band and other factors ) but I just wanted to wish you good luck with this project. I'll be really looking forward to this and also I'm happy to see another original project for the gp2x made by a small group of developers!

So.. Good luck :)

DaveN posted on Jul 3 2006 at 06:23 PM said:
I don't really think that I can help at this moment ( maybe I could do some music later, depends on my time, the band and other factors ) but I just wanted to wish you good luck with this project. I'll be really looking forward to this and also I'm happy to see another original project for the gp2x made by a small group of developers!

So.. Good luck :)

Hey, that'd be awsome if you could help out with music, something we're lacking at the moment ;)

Thanks for the words of encouragement :)

Wow! Active day...

It's great to see the interest this has sparked, and I love the stuff growing around it already.

My plan was to release the first concept app this week - basically just a map loading and viewer. However, I didn't get home until gone 9pm tonight (train problems) so I've pretty much lost one evening already (and I'm busy or working for two others).

Anyway, I'm going to aim for something to show this weekend, but it'll most likely be just after.
Vynx and I have gathered loads of ideas, but keep them coming in. I can see the "simple" RTS becoming extremely big in the future ;)

Er, is there any way we could get aquainted with those ideas? ;)
Well I can't wait for the prototype app.... And for the second my GP2x to arrives, ofcourse.. :p

Megagun posted on Jul 3 2006 at 10:19 PM said:
Er, is there any way we could get aquainted with those ideas? ;)
Well I can't wait for the prototype app.... And for the second my GP2x to arrives, ofcourse.. :p
Vynx said he was going to wrote a document tonight with the ideas. We've got some that will be implemented (after discussion/development of them) and loads of future "wants".

My goal is to release lots of prototypes of the stages of development - each adding something new.
I'm going to knock together a webpage for me to post stuff to. I'm not saying "hey everyone, check out my l33t skillz0rs" ;) just something for those who are interested in following our progress.

Magnulus posted on Jul 3 2006 at 04:10 AM said:
PS: If you're a writer and you want to help writing stories for games, you should put yourself in the Talent Thread so people can find you easily if they're looking for writers. You'd be the first one specified as a writer so far (I should really add that in for myself) so your prospects are good!
Make sure you have some sample work to link to, for example that post you made right now, but also other, more elaborate things. Doesn't have to be GP2X related, either.

Alright, thanks for the suggestion. *Nod* I've only done writing for add-ons to games, but who knows. Maybe someone needs something a bit creative in the storyline department.

Thanks all, for the compliments. I gave the list for the creators to pick one or two to be the main resource of the game, not for ALL of them to be included, naturally. I can trim them down, modify them, combine two or three into one mass resource, adjust almost anything you want.

If red and blue are the only colors likely to be in there, then I can write a story up about those then. I'll also toss in a couple extras for a yellow and green, just in case, and see if I can't get a friend of mine to make "flags" for them. She's an artist of sorts, and has a lot of talent.

I suggest you have a chat with Vynx first or send him a PM asking if he's interested. It'd be a shame if you went through all that trouble if he then says no, and you're also making it much harder for him to say no if you've already made it. One doesn't want to step on one's toes. Again, I'm not saying they'll not want or appreciate it, I'm just saying that you should perhaps just wait for an answer first. You're really enthusiastic, and I like that. I hope you get together with some people working on some epic ideas.

Of course, it'd be good exercise even if it weren't used. :D

Oh, and regarding the flags, I don't think that'd be necessary. For the sake of he simplicity, I think it'd be best if we kept in-game graphics to a single artist, because it'd be disorienting with several different graphic styles on one screen. Someone else will probably be doing the menus, though, and there's no telling who that might be.

Vynx should be posting a design doc of sorts tomorrow evening or so, from what he told me.

I meant for like a mini manual. Every game should have some kind of documentation.

Came up with one plot idea I want to run by Vynx, but I'm not sure if I am crazy about all the points, so I'll just PM him with the details.

Vynx posted on Jul 1 2006 at 09:53 AM said:
This isn't a request thread for RTS ports, sorry :)

While we appreciate the help and feedback, we're not interested in porting games that have already developed - what's the fun in that? The GP2X needs new games, original games.

It'd be like....someone saying they were going to develop a game called Sonic on the GP2X, but then told that Mario should be ported instead - the two games are vastly different and it would deviate from the goal, and the same can be said here.

Are you talking about my Z comment?

Because if you are, you obviously didn't read my entire post. I wasn't suggesting you port Z, but suggested using an economic system from Z instead of the usual resource gathering system used by most RTS games in the original RTS you are creating.

I think it might have been hackgrid's comment that created the mindset.

lintsniffer posted on Jul 4 2006 at 06:40 AM said:
Vynx posted on Jul 1 2006 at 09:53 AM said:
This isn't a request thread for RTS ports, sorry :)

While we appreciate the help and feedback, we're not interested in porting games that have already developed - what's the fun in that? The GP2X needs new games, original games.

It'd be like....someone saying they were going to develop a game called Sonic on the GP2X, but then told that Mario should be ported instead - the two games are vastly different and it would deviate from the goal, and the same can be said here.

Are you talking about my Z comment?

Because if you are, you obviously didn't read my entire post. I wasn't suggesting you port Z, but suggested using an economic system from Z instead of the usual resource gathering system used by most RTS games in the original RTS you are creating.

Sorry, it wasn't really aimed at your post, I know what you were saying, it was more of a "no more port requests please" kinda statement ;)

Yeah, we're considering resource alternatives, we'll have to see what works best - still writing up all the details and such.

'Allo, all. 'Tis Kyalami again. I just read a couple of posts on this thread, and I see the project garned a lot of interest! Thumbs-up to Winterkid for the storyline. Truth be told, I'm a bit of a writer meself! Anyway, I can see this project's going to be a big one in little time so thumbs-up to everyone involved!

Kyalami

Kyalami posted on Jul 14 2006 at 04:53 PM said:
Anyway, I can see this project's going to be a big one in little time so thumbs-up to everyone involved!
Cheers, but if you mean it's going to be developed quickly, you're probably out of luck... I only have so much time to give ;)
While there's little to no functionality yet, the base framework/engine is looking pretty good, so I'm hoping that development will speed up.

For a "simple RTS", though, we have more planned features than some of the larger commercial ones o_O

Wite_Noiz posted on Jul 14 2006 at 10:03 AM said:
Kyalami posted on Jul 14 2006 at 04:53 PM said:
Anyway, I can see this project's going to be a big one in little time so thumbs-up to everyone involved!
Cheers, but if you mean it's going to be developed quickly, you're probably out of luck... I only have so much time to give ;)
While there's little to no functionality yet, the base framework/engine is looking pretty good, so I'm hoping that development will speed up.

For a "simple RTS", though, we have more planned features than some of the larger commercial ones o_O

Besides, as you said, the base engine, framework, etc., I think that all this RTs needs is a story to drive it along (e.g. mission briefings, text cutscenes, etc.), and maybe mouse functionality. Now, i know I haven't gotten a GP2X, but let me just say that there was an n64 port of C&C made, and it used a mouse-like control. I assume this "mouse" was controlled by the analog stick/joystick. It coul.d be integrated, this technology, into this RTS! Also, if you want to select multiple units/vehicles, you could click on the joystick, then drag it across the units! I think it shouldn't be hard, but if it is, sorry!

As far as the text cutscenes go, with a little bit of coding you could probably pull it off.Take for example, the CODEC in the MGS series. You could do this for the cutscenes, for example:

THE PLAYER HIS CO

You must take your men to the hills of the town,

and set up a base! Good luck, Commander!

SAMPLE TEXT

I think the text would be easy to input, but I don't know about the pictures of the characters. Maybe you could animate their faces!
If this is too hard, or impossible, forgive me. I'm just sharing ideas. G'luck!
P.S.: "HIS CO" would be on the right side, the player on the left. I can't align it right! Of course, the text in the middle!

Whoa there, Nelly.
Like we said earlier, it's going to stay fairly simple still.
Mouse support is kind of a non-issue as the GP2X has no mouse and will not feature support for a mouse unless hooked up via the Break Out Box. I'm pretty sure Vynx doesn't want to alienate the potential player base like that. The GP2X also has no analogue controller, so that's out of the question as well.

What we've discussed is an entirely new (and dare I say revolutionary?) control system that should work like a charm on a handheld.

We'll see about the missions and how they are presented, but to start with, we're going for a skirmish based system. We might come up with some campaigns, but that's not in the plans as of right now.

Magnulus posted on Jul 14 2006 at 11:59 AM said:
Whoa there, Nelly.
Mouse support is kind of a non-issue as the GP2X has no mouse and will not feature support for a mouse unless hooked up via the Break Out Box. I'm pretty sure Vynx doesn't want to alienate the potential player base like that. The GP2X also has no analogue controller, so that's out of the question as well.

What we've discussed is an entirely new (and dare I say revolutionary?) control system that should work like a charm on a handheld.

We'll see about the missions and how they are presented, but to start with, we're going for a skirmish based system. We might come up with some campaigns, but that's not in the plans as of right now.

Now, I'm not expecting a new Command and Conquer game to emerge from this project, but is it going to be something like Famicom Wars for the NES? If you've played it that is...
If you haven't it's a tile based turn-based war strategy game, much like Advance Wars but under the name of Famicom Wars (hence the fact it was made for the NES). Famicom Wars is pretty much the same, except with less animation than Advance Wars.
No, wait. What am I thinking! A real-time-strategy game can't be turn-based! Sorry! But that's pretty much my question. Is it gonna be C&C style (real-time, no turns, like that?) or is it gonna be Famicom Wars like (turns, tile-based, etc.)? Also, what do you mean by skirmish? When you say it, do you mean a short battle? I know that's the definition of it, but is that how it's gonna be in the game? A short 'n simple battle mode? Cool, of course, but I'd like to see some kind of story-driven campaign, regrdless of how it's presented.
Just asking! Great ideas and works, guys! Can't wait 'til I get my GP2X so I can play the Simple RTS game! TBA!

Kyalami posted on Jul 14 2006 at 08:10 PM said:
Magnulus posted on Jul 14 2006 at 11:59 AM said:
Whoa there, Nelly.

Now, I'm not expecting a new Command and Conquer game to emerge from this project, but is it going to be something like Famicom Wars for the NES? If you've played it that is...
If you haven't it's a tile based turn-based war strategy game, much like Advance Wars but under the name of Famicom Wars (hence the fact it was made for the NES). Famicom Wars is pretty much the same, except with less animation than Advance Wars.
No, wait. What am I thinking! A real-time-strategy game can't be turn-based! Sorry! But that's pretty much my question. Is it gonna be C&C style (real-time, no turns, like that?) or is it gonna be Famicom Wars like (turns, tile-based, etc.)? Also, what do you mean by skirmish? When you say it, do you mean a short battle? I know that's the definition of it, but is that how it's gonna be in the game? A short 'n simple battle mode? Cool, of course, but I'd like to see some kind of story-driven campaign, regrdless of how it's presented.
Just asking! Great ideas and works, guys! Can't wait 'til I get my GP2X so I can play the Simple RTS game! TBA!

As the name suggests, it's a real time strategy game, turn based has been done to death on handhelds, it's RTS' that handhelds really lack, so I guess we're going to prove that it can be done with a non-conventional control scheme and standard buttoned handheld ;)

As of yet there are no immediate plans for plot development, and if there were I would probably handle that aspect of things myself (I know we have a fair few writers on the board, but I also happen to be a writer, so i'd probably do this side of things myself, as I know what direction it needs to take, but that doesn't mean I won't listen to suggestions) Once the skirmish mode is up and running, perhaps we can think about campaigns, it all depends on how well everything goes, there's quite a lot of work to do.

Hopefully though, Skirmish mode will be a little more than a basic battle, with quite a few alterable settings.

By Skirmish, I meant the way that you can set up battles in Warcraft and C&C and Starcraft for a once-off battle to the death against the machine, altering settings like the map and such.

Back