skype on pandora

Why? I don't see any reason why Jitsi wouldn't work on the Pandora and its successor. Its only dependencies seem to be JDK and ANT.

Skype is used by all of the people I voice chat.

Unfortunately none of them use Jitsi or have probably even heard of it (like myself)

I'm assuming Ian is referring to Skype; and Jitsi might be okay, if you know others with Jitsi, doesn't help when your contacts who are on Skype... but that's the same with every single IM system

Edit: :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
No one wants to use something other than Skype because everyone is on Skype, so no one moves to something other than Skype and nothing gets better.

Now that I know about Jitsi I think I'm going to install it alongside Skype and, if it's actually any good, slowly convince my Skype friends to try it as well, and when that's done I'll just ditch Skype.

Another reason for Pandora 2 to support android
Does Skype not run on the P1's Android? And if not, what makes you think the P2 would support it any better?

Skype doesn't currently work on P1 with Android for voice.

Hopefully Android would be more compatible with P2 hardware as the P2 hardware will be based on items already in phones (I believe P1 was designed before Android was available)

I could ask my friends to move over from Skype, but then they would have to ask their friends and so on and so on.

Snowball effect would be nice but I doubt it will happen as most people I know use Skype as they are technophobic and feel comfortable with it's interface.

You dont have to use a specific client with the federated jabber/XMPP network. That being said its a bit swing and miss. Try pidgin and jitsi.

Mumble works very well though, but that isnt XMPP. Its however the leanest with opus 1.1, which has ARM neon optimizations.

Skype is used by all of the people I voice chat.

Unfortunately none of them use Jitsi or have probably even heard of it (like myself)
This herd behavior sucksreally bad. So everyone i know uses windows so I shouldnt use Linux? Everyone I know has a Playstation so I got to buy one?

God forbid we try something else where the source code is actually available instead of the skype black box made for NSA spying.

I could ask my friends to move over from Skype
Don't ask them to move, ask them to try something else in addition to Skype. Just tell them you want to try it for a few weeks. If it turns out to be good they will use it more themselves and then ask their friends to try it as well, and the snowball will just happen automatically. If it turns out to be crap and doesn't really bring anything new then it deserves to and will fail.

^ Good tactics...slowly converting them without them knowing it :) . What game was it that the entire country was taken over in the course of 50 years by another neighboring country using this similar strategy? :)

^It's not a game.. just a hint you may want to learn Chinese.

Although it could of been any one of the Civilization games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I'll give it a go, what client should I use on my phone?

Sent from my GT-I9300

This herd behavior sucksreally bad. So everyone i know uses windows so I shouldnt use Linux? Everyone I know has a Playstation so I got to buy one?
The Win/Linux argument is not the same, the OSes themselves do not communicate.
The Playstation argument, sure you're not required to buy one, but if you want to play online multiplayer with your friends whom have Playstations, then yes, you've got to get one. Unless there's a PSN wrapper for the XboxOne coming out?

Ok, I've tried Jitsi. It's just another "all your accounts in one" application. This'll never work. To stand any chance of competing with Skype it needs to be as easy as Skype. Johnny Average doesn't know anything about XMPP or SIP, doesn't understand which are simple text accounts and which give audio/video, and he probably doesn't have any of these other accounts anyway. Johnny wants to try something new, Johnny wants some straight forward signup and login process for that new thing.

Mumble is terrible. In what way does it even come close to the ease of use the is Skype?

^

I agree, Mumble isn't a bad replacement for Ventrillo or Teamspeak.. it doesn't replace skype.

Back