skype on pandora

qpens

Still Fresh
HI! can I run skype on Pandora or is there any other client working with skype network that i can run on Pandora ?

Skype protocols are closed. Skype itself is closed as well. As a consequence, Microsoft is the only party capable of porting skype to the Pandora (don't count on that ever happening).

There are VOIP clients available though.

[edit]Apologies. I didn't notice this was posted in the Ask Craig Questions board.[/edit][edit2]Thread was moved[/edit2]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, a third of the questions that Craig gets asked can be answered by others.

Are you asking because you want Skype specifically, or do you just want some internet telephony software?

Sounds like by the phrasing of the question, he/she needs access specifically to the Skype network.

^ I'm wondering if there is any sip telephony software that runs standalone in a .pnd and just works, being as Linphone apparently no worky without the Stuckie Extend bit (probably due to ALSA issues).

I ask this question because there is linux skype 2.2 beta version to download as i know pandora is based on linux just on different CPU :p

you just answered your own question, different CPU

i don't know much about linux thats why i thought if there is linux skype there will be some on who will make this on arm cpu

^ Unfortunately, only the people who make Skype can make it do that, because to the best of my knowledge, the source code is closed.

OK about skype i know that is owned by Bill the network is not blocked because fring on mobile phones us this network i know because i was using that and normally i was calling friends and i saw my buddy list from skype. there is skype mobile as well mobiles are on arm CPU right? My knowledge is not big about this subject best idea is mail skype and ask them about this. Any way thanks for help guys

http://www.fring.com/

For all of you that think skype is closed and owned by Bill https://developer.skype.com/public/skypekit if i will ask them about skype on pandora they will tell me do it your self :D :D:D so whose good coder and will do skype for Pandora

Who I should ask about this on Pandora forum?

At Skype, we believe that every connected device is, potentially, a communications device. We envision a future in which you'll see and converse with the people in your life no matter where you are or what you're doing -- sitting in your car, watching TV in your living room, or just checking the time

Skype is closed and is owned by Microsoft. People don't "think" that - that is a fact. ;)

To quote from the page you linked to;

That's why we're so excited to announce SkypeKit, a collection of software and APIs that allows Internet-connected devices or applications to offer Skype voice and video calls.

SkypeKit is primarily intended for use in consumer electronics. It's designed to work with a wide variety of chip sets, operating systems, and audio/video devices. Think of SkypeKit as a "headless" version of Skype--that is, it runs invisibly with no user display. That way, developers are free to surface and deliver Skype functionality through their own products' interfaces.

Unfortunately, the page doesn't contain source code - it's about allowing certain types of product to interface with Skype "headlessly" (as in, without the Skype software or GUI), for a fee. The example photos show off what they mean by this, by showing the application integrated into a small computer in a car, and into what appears to be some sort of science-fiction watch.

It may well be useful to someone, but I'm pretty sure that this would involve someone having to write something from scratch, and do a hell of a lot of work on it.

I just found this thread and saw this: http://blogs.skype.c...eo_calling.html

Basically, they're letting people integrate Skype into desktop programs, natively. http://developer.sky...illian]Trillian is doing this already, so is it too far-fetched to think it's possible to make an ARM-Linux port with a base interface?
There has been an API for a while, but you needed to link against a binary not against source. Without an ARM binary providing that API we are not a step closer.

I've raised this a few times, the last one was here :

There *is* Skype on ARM - However, it's an Android package. So it might be portable, or you can wait until Android is ported to the Pandora

Back