Sleep - How many hours are you getting?

How many hours of sleep do you get per night/day?

• Total voters

About 5:30 Hours: to fell in sleep, i hear very often musik from 23 to 1, and i use the timer from my ipod so it will shut down about 2 hours later i put it on, ..

Then at 5:30 in the morning, i waik up, surv the internet, the boards, then take a shower to drive to work at 8 in the morning..

i sleep too little. Much because i have a bad habit picking up a book no matter how tired i am, and my because of our 10mth old. He sleeps better each week, so books are the dominating factor now.

When i was conscripted (the safe type) we operated with 3 levels of sleeptime/night. We were told 2 hours is enough to keep the body functioning. 4 hours is enough to be able to make 'good' decisions (within the bounds of what we know), and eight hours is needed to absorb knowledge and learn. I dont think this is off by too much.

8 normally but sometimes I only get 4 or so hours and still have to go to work. Stress is bad for regular sleeping patterns.

About 5:30 Hours: to fell in sleep, i hear very often musik from 23 to 1, and i use the timer from my ipod so it will shut down about 2 hours later i put it on, ..

Then at 5:30 in the morning, i waik up, surv the internet, the boards, then take a shower to drive to work at 8 in the morning..
As a kid that is sort of what would happen to me, minus the music.  I still have times where I try to force myself to sleep for hours, and it sucks.  I have found that I need to go to sleep as soon as I feel tired or I won't be able to for a while.  Often when I have music on I start paying attention to it and it keeps me thinking about things (which is often why I can't fall asleep), however talking and many other television sounds don't keep me awake.

i sleep too little. Much because i have a bad habit picking up a book no matter how tired i am, and my because of our 10mth old. He sleeps better each week, so books are the dominating factor now.

When i was conscripted (the safe type) we operated with 3 levels of sleeptime/night. We were told 2 hours is enough to keep the body functioning. 4 hours is enough to be able to make 'good' decisions (within the bounds of what we know), and eight hours is needed to absorb knowledge and learn. I dont think this is off by too much.
2 hours is not enough for extended periods for most people.  Maybe they have a different idea of keeping the body functioning, but a lot starts to go bad quickly if you try to stick with that.  When you add the mental stuff it becomes worse and injuries tend to increase due to lack of alertness and awareness.   That is my experience, at least.  4 hours has always been plenty for me to learn and retain information.  I am pretty sure this is just me, but when I try to sleep 8 hours for consecutive 24 hour periods I feel more tired when I am awake and I feel lazier.  Usually I have to force myself back to sleep to reach the 8 hour mark if I have been getting regular sleep, and is why 6 is about my "normal" max.  If I break up my sleeping time it is a bit different, but I have never documented and tested doing that.  A few weeks ago I was thinking of trying 30 minutes every couple hours to see how long I could sustain it, and doing 2 blocks of 4 hours each day to reach the recommended 8 hours a day.

2 hours is not enough for extended periods for most people.  Maybe they have a different idea of keeping the body functioning, but a lot starts to go bad quickly if you try to stick with that.  When you add the mental stuff it becomes worse and injuries tend to increase due to lack of alertness and awareness.   That is my experience, at least.
Yes, "functioning" was though more as being able to walk your normal distance. Anyway, one of the exercises we had was one of few times I can safely say I hallucinated so mental function goes for me at two hours/day at least. I am sure elephants or orchestras don't really roam Norwegian woods :wacko: it was an interesting experience though. Come to think of it, if you put a seriously sleep deprived person alone in the woods for a night, give him a radio and tells him to report anything out of the ordinary... you are asking for weird reports

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, congrats, mate! hope all is well?
Thanks, all is well :) 4 days old now! Last night we kept the baby with us and it disrupted our sleep several times, but we are slowly learning how to adjust. I heard the first 3 months are the worst :)
this your first kid?

actually the first 18 years are the worst :)
haha i hope it's not that long :)

Yeah, first kid - a girl. She's easy so far - as long as she gets her milk, she sleeps for 2-3 hours without problem.

2 hours is not enough for extended periods for most people.  Maybe they have a different idea of keeping the body functioning, but a lot starts to go bad quickly if you try to stick with that.  When you add the mental stuff it becomes worse and injuries tend to increase due to lack of alertness and awareness.   That is my experience, at least.
Yes, "functioning" was though more as being able to walk your normal distance. Anyway, one of the exercises we had was one of few times I can safely say I hallucinated so mental function goes for me at two hours/day at least. I am sure elephants or orchestras don't really roam Norwegian woods :wacko: it was an interesting experience though. Come to think of it, if you put a seriously sleep deprived person alone in the woods for a night, give him a radio and tells him to report anything out of the ordinary... you are asking for weird reports
Yeah, I guess hallucinations may be present in a functioning body, but are a clear sign to me that it isn't functioning properly.  I personally prefer to keep from pushing myself (or letting others push themselves) to the breaking point.  Stop just short of that.  People might not be happy, and there may be a lot of pain and such, but it helps show what someone is capable of, and that it is a lot more than many might guess (not including those that falsely think they are invicible and make stupid choices like jumping off of a third story balcony while drunk).  

Sleep is a funny one, though.  My being fully functional and content with 4 hours a night for extended periods is not enough for some.  I have met some people that were pretty useless and constantly falling asleep with that.  I lived with someone that was eventually diagnosed with narcolepsy and sleep apnea, but I thought he was one of those people because he would be talking to me and fall asleep midsentence.  I have seen others somehow fall asleep standing up and unsupported and somehow not immediately fall down.  If I fall asleep in a chair I hit the ground pretty quick.  People are pretty interesting (and funny) when tired, and moreso when sleep deprived.

Do you have any evidence to support your statement that there are no elephants or orchestras in the Norwegian woods?  Maybe they had a very good reason to be there.  Most hallucinations I have experienced are weird shadows in my peripheral vision, but those don't seem to be related to lack of sleep and may be something else entirely.  The only time I know for sure I hallucinated was when I visited California and saw an astronaut in full suit on a street corner.  The person I was with insisted there was no astronaut.  This was probably due to dehydration, however lack of sleep and other factors may have been a factor.  Think about it, I was in California, why wouldn't there have been an astronaut on the corner?  

Way to go, ekianjo!

Great to know that at least you managed to find a girl that actually wants to have children.

at least you managed to find a girl that actually wants to have children.
Is it that difficult nowadays ? :)
Depends on where you're hanging around.

A current study has shown that Germany has (in relation to the population) the lowest birth rate of humans on this planet, followed by Japan and some others.

Yes, it's very difficult around here.

http://www.epochtimes.de/Zwei-verborgene-Studien-Deutschland-hat-die-niedrigste-Geburtenrate-der-Welt-a1258902.html

The Germans are also the poorest citizens in the EU (half as rich as Greeks actually), which may be one of the reasons for the unwillingness to produce children.

A current study has shown that Germany has the lowest birth rate on this planet, followed by Japan and some others.
Well in Japan at least it's not because women don't want to have kids - it's more of a "being at the right place at the right time" kind of problem. But it may be different elsewhere.

The Germans are also the poorest citizens in the EU (half as rich as Greeks actually), which may be one of the reasons for the unwillingness to produce children.
Source?
A lot of people have to go by with close to minimum wage which is €325/month here (~€2/hour), and this is within the EU.

Source?

A lot of people have to go by with close to minimum wage which is €325/month here (~€2/hour), and this is within the EU.
Source is linked in the article, but here are the studies:

http://www.hwwi.org/fileadmin/hwwi/Mediencenter/Pressemitteilungen/2015_Pressemitteilungen/2015-05-29-BDO/20150529_PM_IBC_Geburtenrate_HWWI.pdf

http://www.bundesbank.de/Redaktion/EN/Downloads/Publications/Discussion_Paper_1/2012/2012_07_10_dkp_13.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

Rent for a 29,5m² flat in the not so ideal part of town is around 290-400€, so nobody would be able to survive with 2€ per hour here.

I don't have much left after rent and basic supplies. Most people here are working to keep the property owners rich, but every attempt to regulate the rent has fallen flat thanks to the two powerful parties.

A current study has shown that Germany has (in relation to the population) the lowest birth rate of humans on this planet, followed by Japan and some others.

Yes, it's very difficult around here.
Well, at least someone has to do something against worldwide population growth. ;) But it seems not working, humans in other countries multiply much faster than we can not getting children... XDSeriously, some people must banging like rabbits to outdo the whole EU population decrease, where does this all end? "Soylent Green" anyone? ^^"

Well, our current way of living is unsustainable anyway. Eventually the whole system will collapse and ... I don't know... say half the population will die.

It will be for the better.

Back