Smitfraud

daclassicgamingmaster

It Is Your Birthday.
Website
krispf3.blogspot.com
I have smitfraud on my computer and I keep getting nasty popups. Spybot found this problem but cant rid my system of it. I've tried the smitfraudfix by booting into safe mode and following detailed, printed instructions. It's still here.

Can anyone help me with this? I'm not too thrilled with having to reinstall the OS, and I'm a bit of a spaz so manual removal of processes may not be the best idea. Is there another program that can help me? Preferably free, of course.

:(

Holy crap, it worked! All gone :D. Thanks trooper :)

I dont know why such a simple fix isn't floating around the net. All I read were manual removal methods (deleting dozens of files), or paying for a tech guy to fix it for you.

It may be gone, but I did lose all my FF bookmarks and tabs :(

trooper said:
Ooops, Soz DCGM, I didn`t expect that ???. :blink: :eek:

Trooper
No, I don't think it was any reason in particular. I lose them all very occasionally, like maybe once a year or so. I'm not too sure the reason why, but it usually happens when there's another problem and I'm constantly restarting my computer :huh:

Not a big deal. It sure beats having to reinstall windows :)

Last edited by a moderator:
daclassicgamingmaster said:
trooper said:
Ooops, Soz DCGM, I didn`t expect that ???. :blink: :eek:

Trooper
No, I don't think it was any reason in particular. I lose them all very occasionally, like maybe once a year or so. I'm not too sure the reason why, but it usually happens when there's another problem and I'm constantly restarting my computer :huh:

Not a big deal. It sure beats having to reinstall windows :)

Now's a good time to look into the Foxmarks extension. Lets you access your FF bookmarks from any FF browser, and it auto-syncs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, (and I forgot about this entirely), bookmarks haven't worked properly for me in a while. I suppose I need a new install on firefox, but I'm just too lazy. I slide all interesting pages into the tab area and they appear on the drop-down list on the side.

I lose that list as well as the other tabs. But I will search on my computer for that file you mentioned trooper, and ill look into that extention.

For future reference, on Windows XP, your bookmarks.html should be in c:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<random string>.default\bookmarks.html

I know it's a long path name, but it's good to know. I make periodic backups of my bookmarks.html file since I have so many it would be a pain in the ass to lose them all.

I would like an easy way to search through them, though, so if anyone knows of a good bookmarks search plugin I'd appreciate it.

If you used adaware it will remove your bookmarks maybe spybot does too. But if after you have used adaware you expand the first set of stuf it finds it will say that they are not harmful so uncheck them and then click on next and it will just delete the harmful things and not yoru bookmarks and whatever else is inthe top lot of things that arent harmful.

Back