snes emulator performance

defjam2107

Still Fresh
Is the snes performance on gp32 any good? if not what other consoles are good to emulate.iv heard problems of snes games overclocking the gp32, so is it dodgy to play snes games?

I'm still relatively new to the whole emulation scene on GP32, but from what I understand is that one emulator runs SNES games pretty good. The only flaw is it has no sound and you can't save your games. The other one is pretty slow, but it has sound and can save. SNES emulation is improving and I think it is only a matter of time before it is perfected. The PC Engine is great it has most of the games SNES had besides the rpgs and first party games. Everyone I have asked said that slow down on rpgs really isn't a problem. Anyway you can read the FAQ for more info.

The Snes Emulation at the moment is a little sluggish depending on the game. I've found some games such as Congos Caper and Sensible Soccer to run ok at Frameskip 3 with sound. Really your gonna have to wait for snes emulation. However PCEngine, Atari ST, Nes, SMS, SG1000 and a few more are extremely playable thru the GP32.

Some games are playable. Super Punchout runs fine on frame skip 4 no sound. Final Fantasy 2 is just like punchout except it freezes randomly. Games like Mario RPG and Tactics Ogre are very slow. I had to put it at frameskip 10 with sound to get about perfect speed, but frameskip 10 is too choppy.

I actually use the snes emu quite a bit although there are better emus out there at he moment. I just enjoy super mario on it, it plays pretty well on frame skip 2/3 with no sound.

The most recent version of Snes9xgp is fairly fast. Not perfect, by any means, but fairly fast. Or at least, very playable. What's be the best way to describe it... Snes emulation, without sound, is roughly 95% at fs3 for a lot of games (I've played through lots of Earthbound on it).

Its not ideal, but it'll do.

For actioney games, just look at PCE instead - loooooads of puzzle/action stuff there (specially shooters). Also we've got GB, NES, SMS/GG (some GG games look *really* good, a little surprisingly. Must be the bigger palette), Atari ST (go have a look at www.atari.st to see lots of screenies), C64, CPlus/4 (Think C64 but downgraded a bit), and several more - just look around the sites.

Also, don't forget ScummVM. The 133MHz version has fairly good sound (not perfect) and full speed - and the games play *very* well on a handheld.

Back