Beta Snes9X4D4P - Another New Build, Now With Hi Res And New Rom Picker

As with the other scaled version of snes9x, save states aren't working for me. It crashes back to minimenu whenever I try to save a state or load a state from the June 1 release.

As for scaling, 2x2 is a good option, as is 3X2, although if possible an option to stretch to a 4:3 ratio would be great. SNES outputs at an 8:7 ratio, but was meant to be stretched by 4:3 TVs. I guess that would mean an image resolution of 598x448 on the Pandora screen. Some gp2x emulators achieved 4:3 ratio with software scaling I believe.

Just one thought about the whole sram issue...

I assume people suffering from the problem are not making the mistake of playing to x point, saving, then loading an earlier savestate when they die (i.e. before the sram was made)? Since when a savestate is loaded, of course, sram is also loaded, and then when you enter the menu, the sram is replaced by the one from the savestate (since sram is saved on opening the menu). Similarly important, presumably, is loading the menu before quitting the application (though this seems much more natural with Pandora than with previous gen devices where quitting was slower than just power-cycling).

As I say, probably people are not being caught out by this, since it's a problem for most emulators on and off Pandora, and we've all got some experience with some of them. But worth mentioning, just in case...

EDIT: Of course, if I'm wrong and it's a case of savestates just not working full stop, rather than anything to do with sram, then obviously this isn't an issue; I generally make it a rule not to try an emulator unless both sram and savestates are working, so I haven't tried the previous scaled build, and similarly won't try this... for now...

Dave .. Not too much time (spread too thin) so Im prioritizing; SiENcE is actively maintaining this and its a super easy port, and Ive done my tweaks and additions and most are very happy.. Big win. Adding asm cpus would be a big speedup and should come soon. A lot of what you assume would instaport in pocketsnes would not .. All the wiz/gp2x xisplay code probably doesnt apply here for instance.

I or someone will also do pocketsnes or perhaps roll some bits into this one. Pocketsnes is not actively maintained and I recall it was also a total mess (could be misremembering). More work to port.. And not a clean foundation. Really, someone should redo pocketsnes and make it nice and clean and it wouod rule, but thats more effort than i can afford (especially as a non snes fan. Im only doing this one because it makes so many people happy, but ive barely played snes.. Only picked one up to rip carts on 7+ years ago :)

If someone has free time, join the fray; for now Im doing the path of least resistance :)

Jeffphone

Tobriand said:

I assume people suffering from the problem are not making the mistake of playing to x point, saving, then loading an earlier savestate when they die (i.e. before the sram was made)? Since when a savestate is loaded, of course, sram is also loaded, and then when you enter the menu, the sram is replaced by the one from the savestate (since sram is saved on opening the menu).
I can't speak for anyone else, but I can say that this definitely isn't the case with me, because I simply don't use savestates if a game has SRAM saving (and for games that don't, I only use them when I complete a level or two, as a stand-in for SRAM saving). :p

Last edited by a moderator:
ED just tried and says SRAM seems working fine.

Perhaps the only problem is crashing during savestate save/loading? I've not tried savestates with this particular emu myself.

If that is indeed the problem, then that is a more narrow problem description, which is great; also, if SRAM saves are working, this release would be good enough for public distribution I think (ie: to replace the fairly older version.)

So .. can anyone confirm SRAM is indeed working fine?

jeff

skeezix said:
So .. can anyone confirm SRAM is indeed working fine?

jeff
Just tested sram saves in Kirby Super Star and Link to the Past, both worked fine. :)

Nick -- what error? be more specific :)

ie: Perhaps your DNS is screwed up so your system can't figure out what codejedi.com is? (whacky, codejedi being 10+ years old); or a proxy you're going through is blocking it, or any number of things.

If folks think SRAM is good here, I'll post it up publicly on apps and dl.openhandhelds soon though.

jeff

I think i don't changed anything on the save position of sram. I only committed a makefile for the WIZ. It compiles but don't run. I cant debug it, because i have no WIZ. Maybe someone with a WIZ can do a debug session ;-) ?

SiENcE - It was a checkin before that; I think theres some confusion .. sounds like SRAM stuff is okay, but save/load states are a problem; but they might have been a problem for awhile :)

jeff

SiENcE said:
I think i don't changed anything on the save position of sram. I only committed a makefile for the WIZ. It compiles but don't run. I cant debug it, because i have no WIZ. Maybe someone with a WIZ can do a debug session ;-) ?

where do i find the sources?

crow_riot said:
SiENcE said:

where do i find the sources?

Yes I'm interested too ;)

I have a couple Wizzes, so I should do a build.

I've got an svn address I check in to, but not sure if its a public or private one (ie: maybe theres a public one somewhere else.) I'l let SiENcE speak for that.

jeff

skeezix said:
I have a couple Wizzes, so I should do a build.

I've got an svn address I check in to, but not sure if its a public or private one (ie: maybe theres a public one somewhere else.) I'l let SiENcE speak for that.

jeff

oh ok, no problem with that. still offering my help if it is needed, though :)

skeezix said:
SiENcE - It was a checkin before that; I think theres some confusion .. sounds like SRAM stuff is okay, but save/load states are a problem; but they might have been a problem for awhile :)

jeff
Yes, when i tested your last beta (the first one changing the aspect ratio stuff) it was impossible to use savestates. Loading them wasn't working, since the prog would exit/crash (not sure what exactly) when trying to do so.

I think sram saves were basically working, but in some cases they were bad/wrong/broken. A case of this was Zelda (A Link to the Past). Saving a normal savegame (aka sram) resulted in basically being a "start of game" save, so not a real save where I stopped playing. Though the created game list (there are three slots for "parallel games" in this snes game) showed correctly the amount of "hearts" I collected. But I think this issue might be 100% game specific.

Prometheus said:
Tobriand said:

I assume people suffering from the problem are not making the mistake of playing to x point, saving, then loading an earlier savestate when they die (i.e. before the sram was made)? Since when a savestate is loaded, of course, sram is also loaded, and then when you enter the menu, the sram is replaced by the one from the savestate (since sram is saved on opening the menu).
I can't speak for anyone else, but I can say that this definitely isn't the case with me, because I simply don't use savestates if a game has SRAM saving (and for games that don't, I only use them when I complete a level or two, as a stand-in for SRAM saving). :p

Damn, I wish I had your self-control.
That quick-save button is always just so tempting...

And then it ruins the game XD

Maybe I should strip out savestates on my emulators when I get my Pandy...

EvilDragon said:
chaosmage said:
EvilDragon said:
Until HF4 is released, do NOT clock exactly to 650 Mhz. Due to some small error in the algorithm, setting CPU Speed to 650 sets it to -1 MHz (whatever the OMAP does then... but it's slow).

So use 651 or 649 or something completely different - but not 650 :D

Yeek. I assume that the slider doesn't change the actual speed until you click on OK, right? Otherwise this is bad mojo...

Only when you press OK. Before that, no speed change happens.

Are there any other speeds we should avoid because of a similar issue?

Not that I know of - but if you overclock and your Pandora becomes really slow, you found one ;)

Don't worry though, a reboot changes your speed back to normal and Hotfix 4 Beta should be available until next week :)

there are actually quite a lot of speeds that cause this problem. check out the results of the test I ran here:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54017-cpu-speed-not-resetting-after-powersave-mode/page__view__findpost__p__894506
to see which ones if your interested. The speeds where you see a jump in cpu% are the ones that create the error.

as to the topic :D

this version is also not letting me load my savestates. It just dumps me to the desktop like the previous release. saving to savestate does actually seem to work, although it also dumps to desktop directly after it makes the save. regular in game saves seem to work fine for me.

also when in 2x2 mode the menu shows twice. one off center to the left and another 80% off screen to the right.

Craig updated on apps, ED updated on dl.openhandhelds; we should be good to go with this one.

We'll look into savestates and asm cores soon..

jeff

skeezix said:
Craig updated on apps, ED updated on dl.openhandhelds; we should be good to go with this one.

We'll look into savestates and asm cores soon..

jeff

I know that SRAM saving and savestates worked on the version before you added the scaling. (I know because I haven't switched from that version and it works fine.) All the complaints about Save states not working started cropping up after you released the version with scaling.

@Prometheus: You are having problems in an older build. Check to make sure that problem is still in the most recent build before complaining about it. Otherwise, you'll make the devs pull out their hair trying to figure out what's causing a bug that's not there.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
I know that SRAM saving and savestates worked on the version before you added the scaling. (I know because I haven't switched from that version and it works fine.)
That's the one I'm using. :lol:

@Prometheus: You are having problems in an older build. Check to make sure that problem is still in the most recent build before complaining about it. Otherwise, you'll make the devs pull out their hair trying to figure out what's causing a bug that's not there.
Yep, and I'm pretty sure I did make that clear - I'm using the same one as you, in fact. :p I also noted that my Pandora is currently absent.

EDIT: That is to say, the reason I finally remembered to mention it was just as a heads-up in case it had persisted.

Back