Beta Snes9X4D4P - Another New Build, Now With Hi Res And New Rom Picker

Prometheus said:
God Ginrai said:
I know that SRAM saving and savestates worked on the version before you added the scaling. (I know because I haven't switched from that version and it works fine.)
That's the one I'm using. :lol:

@Prometheus: You are having problems in an older build. Check to make sure that problem is still in the most recent build before complaining about it. Otherwise, you'll make the devs pull out their hair trying to figure out what's causing a bug that's not there.
Yep, and I'm pretty sure I did make that clear - I'm using the same one as you, in fact. :p I also noted that my Pandora is currently absent.

EDIT: That is to say, the reason I finally remembered to mention it was just as a heads-up in case it had persisted.

You must be using a different version than me, however, unless the version we are using only has SRAM problems on certain games. (I know for a fact that I have used SRAM on 3 games successfully) Super Metroid, Super Mario World, and The Legend of Zelda: Ancient Stone Tablets all worked fine for me as far as SRAM saving is concerned. I would test one of those to see if that works. If it does, then we are using the same version. If it doesn't, then I could send you my copy of the emulator so you can try that. ;)

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious about this, so I'll hold you to that when I get my Pandora back. :p

A friend of mine is very fond of Secret of Mana. I never played it so wanted to check it out.
But no version of the games runs properly. Sound and music works, but the images are garbled. Anyone else having this problem?

Everything else seems to run good.

Thanks!

MarkoeZ said:
A friend of mine is very fond of Secret of Mana. I never played it so wanted to check it out.
But no version of the games runs properly. Sound and music works, but the images are garbled. Anyone else having this problem?

Everything else seems to run good.

Thanks!

Yea, that's a known problem.

-God Ginrai

Is it a high res game, or just fubar'd?

(Offhand, what are some SNES high res games? I need to add a renderer for those (in 1:1 scaling).)

jeff

skeezix said:
Is it a high res game, or just fubar'd?
Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3 are high-res.

OKay, I've got Secret of Mana going I think (at least, starting into a game and falling down the waterfall all looks good.)

Seems like SNES hi-res is two modes; tall (448px tall, yet skinny) or wide (512*224); ie: one dimension can be stretched, but not both perhaps. (or perhaps both and I've not seen it yet.)

So I did some tricks.. in tall mode, double the horiz pixels, and it looks _great_.

Maybe I need to add a 1.5 * horiz scale, so that it nearly fills the screen; as is now, it letterboxes (black on left/right side, akin to 2x2 scaling mode on low res games.)

*shrug*

Gotta run or I'd post a pic; I'll post a beta for you guys tomorrow, but shoudl be good.

I'll have to try some other hi res games; not sure if I have any carts. I opened up Secret of Mana and read the chip today, woowoo (I tend to rip my own carts; if you've got an eeprom burner, thats how you roll ;) Well, that and a SNES multicard flash kit :)

jeff

Just tested this and seems very good! I have been waiting for full screen for a while, Super fat Mario here we go!

skeezix said:
I'll have to try some other hi res games; not sure if I have any carts. I opened up Secret of Mana and read the chip today, woowoo (I tend to rip my own carts; if you've got an eeprom burner, thats how you roll ;) Well, that and a SNES multicard flash kit :)
Yeah but the chips are soldered to the board! And I thought copying to 3.5" disks using my Wildcard was a pain.

*g* Always buy multiple of carts, when you intend on doing bad things to them, is my advice; for awhile I was killing 2600 Combat carts .. turning them into other games, or 2600 homebrew, etc. But sort of feels bad to kill a classic cart, even if theres more than 1 for each molecule on earth.

Theres a pile of good cart readers nowadays, to make drag-and-drop cart ripping easy, too. (Esp for snes and genesis.)

jeff

skeezix said:
*g* Always buy multiple of carts, when you intend on doing bad things to them, is my advice; for awhile I was killing 2600 Combat carts .. turning them into other games, or 2600 homebrew, etc. But sort of feels bad to kill a classic cart, even if theres more than 1 for each molecule on earth.

Theres a pile of good cart readers nowadays, to make drag-and-drop cart ripping easy, too. (Esp for snes and genesis.)

jeff

Like our very own retrode. ;)

-God Ginrai

OKay folks, give this one a shot.

Changes:
1) Should work for Secret of Mana; please try out other Hi Res games.. I've no clue which they are, and not much of a SNES collection here anyway. Give it a whirl :)
2) It does include the first stab of a new rom picker I built; for now, it flickers between picking the rom and starting the emu, as this is a generic build of the picker, and its not tightly interlinked with the emu yet; other folks will be able to use this picker in their emus as well, as a result. In a bit, I'll see about integrsating it right into the emu, so you can pick new roms etc without quitting the emu. Let me know if you like where I'm going with this file picker :)
3) Tweaked the compiler options a bit, maybe it'll run faster (or slower?) .. let me know

Please beat this up ASAP and let me know how its going.

No ASM yet; once I get things working more or less how I like them, I'll start rewriting some bits in ASM. And get them cpu cores in.

edit: haha, ED totally busted me on some stupid; using page-down for quit and page-up for 'go up a level' is stupid, when they should just page up and page down. But anyway ;) And the text is too dark, I know I know, its beta ;)

jeff

http://www.codejedi....4p_20100723.pnd

http://www.codejedi.com/pandora/snes9x4d4p/binaries/snes9x4d4p_20100723_2.pnd -- if you have a huge number of files, use this one ;)

I nabbed that wallpaper for the rom picker from first hit on google; anyone want to make a better one (ie: and let me know what color to make the text on it.) Could put the emu name into the image and such, even.

jeff

Thanks for all the work Jeff, it is greatly appreciated. This emu is one of the best currently on the Pandora!

I never knew there was hi-res SNES games, WOW. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone is tackling the DSP/FX chip games? I know Starfox is running great,and I hear Mario RPG is fullspeed(I havn't tested that one), but is there any updates on StuntRace FX?

Thanks Again,
Chris

Back