Beta Snes9X4D4P - Another New Build, Now With Hi Res And New Rom Picker

skeezix said:
OKay, I've got Secret of Mana going I think (at least, starting into a game and falling down the waterfall all looks good.)

Seems like SNES hi-res is two modes; tall (448px tall, yet skinny) or wide (512*224); ie: one dimension can be stretched, but not both perhaps. (or perhaps both and I've not seen it yet.)

So I did some tricks.. in tall mode, double the horiz pixels, and it looks _great_.

It can do 448/479 in both 256 and 512 wide modes with interlacing, but almost nothing uses it. What were you testing that uses interlacing with 256 wide?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I enabled interpolated sound in the _2 build, but I forget which is uploaded :)

Try it out, let me know. (And if no change, you could create args.txt and put in '-sq5 -is' to get 30khz audio with interpolated sound.

jeff

The only two hi-res games, that I know, are Secret of Mana 1 & 2
Can anybody tell me another hi-res game for testing?

skeezix said:
I think I enabled interpolated sound in the _2 build, but I forget which is uploaded :)

Try it out, let me know. (And if no change, you could create args.txt and put in '-sq5 -is' to get 30khz audio with interpolated sound.

jeff
Very nice. Looks like we will have nearly perfect SNES Emulation, when I have my Pandora "soon". :)

Uh, I know interpolated Graphics but what exactly is interpolated sound?

Serenity said:
The only two hi-res games, that I know, are Secret of Mana 1 & 2
Can anybody tell me another hi-res game for testing?

Did you read the previous posts? MDave suggested some to skeezix, you can try those.

-God Ginrai

fusion_power said:
Uh, I know interpolated Graphics but what exactly is interpolated sound?

http://www.alpha-ii.com/Info/AudioInt.html

skeezix said:

jeff

Yes, sound is interpolated in the _2 build :D Didn't have to do anything. Great! Haven't tried the other one though.

Thanks skeezix :)

EDIT: Doh, hi-res mode doesn't seem to work right for the following games: RPM Racing and Super Formation Soccer '94 (selecting teams).

Hahaha, i love this forum. I mention secret of mana, and all of a sudden it seems to be working :D
Going to try it out now, but already: Thanks, and great job by everyone involved!

Cheers!

skeezix said:
http://www.codejedi....4p_20100723.pnd

http://www.codejedi.com/pandora/snes9x4d4p/binaries/snes9x4d4p_20100723_2.pnd -- if you have a huge number of files, use this one ;)
As far as I can tell, the first one crashes, and the second one takes a long time to select the file you want.

Seiken Densetsu 3 works, but is too slow without frameskip.

Long time? You have a directory with 10,000 files?

Ill be adding jump-to-key for keyboard; maybe i should make it scroll faster the longer the dpad is held .. I only have a few dozen files in a dire tory so its fast for me :)

The first crashes at >1000 files per dir; the second is 10,000 max. (yes lazy me)

Jeffphone

Okay I don't get it with the recent updates and even the last file I had (which was really old) SNES is running slow. It used to run fast and fine for me. But has anybody else had any speed problems?

HackModford said:
Okay I don't get it with the recent updates and even the last file I had (which was really old) SNES is running slow. It used to run fast and fine for me. But has anybody else had any speed problems?
I think FS0 is enabled by default now... previously it's been auto.

Yes that makes it run nice. But it's still slower than what it used to be. It's about where it was with the last file that had auto frameskip. It's somewere around frameskip 1 and 2. Is that how slow everyone else is? I'm overclocked to 800 shouldn't it be good?

PokeParadox said:
I think FS0 is enabled by default now... previously it's been auto.
Yeah, I set it back to auto when it was running too slow, sometimes even at 800MHz.

Hey Jeff, I reckon right on the d pad for going down a page and left for going up, same as picodrive ;) I love that Rom picker. Going back into the picker after quitting a game will be a god send :)

Not had chance to try this yet! Good job!

Most games run fullspeed for me at 650MHz.
Even Yoshis Island runs perfect at 750MHz.

What games are you trying that don't run fullspeed with FS0 at 800MHz? :eek:

Anything I try....

For sure

Mario Kart, Fzeroe, Super Mario All-Star + Mario World, Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island... basically anything I throw at it. And I noticed this slowdown after I started zipping roms a while ago. But for some reason the emulator won't open the unzipped roms? Or atleast go into the folder were the pure roms are. I have Roms>SNES>zipped roms to play or>folders that individually have the rom unzipped
And I can't get to those folders for some reason... I'll have to mess with it some more...

Tried the new version.

Yes it is slow but tht is with FS 1. I run at the default 500 MHz. I put it on auto and it is faster (but jumps more now and then) . The screen tearing is pretty bad in this version with scrolling (try Adams family II). Couldn't that v-sync code be used?

The ROM browser. It is ok and simple but needs a few things.
I haven't looked at to see if I can do it it but the background pic needs changing. It is too hard to see the text as it is so "busy".

It needs a standard way of jumping pages such as shoulder left and right and/or d-pad left, right. Prefer d-pad left/right.

Needs scroll wrap. If I am at "Adams family" and want to play "Zombies ate my neighbors" I should be able to press UP on the pad to wrap down to the Zs rather than spending along while waiting for the thing to scroll down. Yes that is for those with lots of ROMs. If you only have 5 on there no big deal but if you have a whole set...Some people are pirates and have lots of ROMz (not me of course, I just did it to test the ROM browser)...

Needs to delay key repeat. Now if you press the button while browsing directories it is a bit twitchy. No big deal I guess as you will only do it once in a while but still for the sake of completeness.

Maybe the screen in 2X mode could be centered vertically?

Maybe the sound interpolation is slowing emulation. Should have an option to shut off for speed?

Thanks for the continued great work on this.

Back