Snes9X4D4P - Beta - 3:2 Scaling Hack

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
hey guys,

I just did a quick patch, and changed it to 3:2 scaling mode only; its 'nearly full screen', yet still 'doubled' (non-smoothed) to keep Dave happy :)

If you want the old 1:2 unsmoothed mode, stick to the _3 build from my previous snes9x4d4p beta thread here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53890-snes9x4d4p-help-me-beta-test/page__view__findpost__p__864245

--> OVERCLOCK LIKE MAD for full speed

NOTES:

- still non-ASM cpu core
- still non-ASM non-hw graphics scaling
- the menu does not let you pick a scaler yet

I will add hw scaler (Smoothed) and maybe asm scaler or hw scaling (unsmoothed), as time permits (mind you, now that this whole bounty thing is up, I'm pretty demotivated to touch snes emulation at all; why should I, when a bounty will come along eventually? Like I said, bounties make my teeth itch ;)
I will add into the menu so a scaler can be picked so you can rotate between faster or slower scalers of various dimensions and effects.
It still needs a built-in rom picker, still uses the same old ugly zenity one; like I said, this is a month of no free time for me, so this is as good as you get.

As this version is not heavily tested (yet seems to run fine, when overclocked), and really needs the menu to make modes pickable, I'm posting it as 'beta'; once the menu can pick modes and you guys say it works okay, I'll update the uploads if you think it a worthy successor.

Still, it _looks_ pretty impressive :)

SiENcE -- not yet checked into SVN; I added some enums and structs to describe scaling, so its a much more sensible approach and we could perhaps merge the code to handle it sensibly across our versions; but I'll check it in in a few days.. time is nuked right now.

Get it here; don't post to app store or dl.openhandhelds yet:
http://www.codejedi.com/pandora/snes9x4d4p/binaries/snes9x4d4p_20100627.pnd

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jeff.

I have not tried it yet, scaling is low on my personal list of improvements. I like it just the way it is, but more options are always nice. I'm more interested in a better and more complete frontend/menu system, and better comatibility of the dsp/fx games.

Your work is always greatly appreciated. Thanks Again!

Chris

I'm not going to tackle the emulation per se (leaving that to poor and mighty SiENcE!)

What sort of frontend things are you looking for?

ie: For my part, I rather figured to change the 'SPACE' menu so it has a few more (and Pandora-relevent) options in it; ie: the scale-mode picker, maybe per-game options (default cpu speed overrides?), and a ROM picker so we can ditch zenity. Make me a list, I'll keep abreast of this thread :) (I'm living on my phone mostly lately, checking threads once or twice a day until things go back to normal)

jeff

looks great! I'm clocked at 825 and everything I throw at it runs terrific.

mario kart
killer instinct
chrono trigger

so far so good. thanks for this :)

edit: yes, a rom picker would be a most welcome change

I didn't have time to check.. I wonder how this one fares from the previous _3 version; ie: software (non-ASM) scaling 1:2 versus 1:3x2, wonder how many FPS we lose :)

jeffphone

Thank you Jeff!!

Please dont be put off by the bounty thing! I wont pay you any money whatsoever to update it!! In fact, you can pay me!! ;)

Seriously, thank you for the work you've put in.

I hope this emu gets better and better!

skeezix said:
Just something like Notaz's Picodrive. Easy to read, and regular basic options like setting the cpu clock, sounds, controls, ect.

Chris

jumpman said:
skeezix said:
Just something like Notaz's Picodrive. Easy to read, and regular basic options like setting the cpu clock, sounds, controls, ect.

Chris

+1 Picodrives menu is wicked. Fast and easy to use.

skeezix said:
I'm not going to tackle the emulation per se (leaving that to poor and mighty SiENcE!)

ie: For my part, I rather figured to change the 'SPACE' menu so it has a few more (and Pandora-relevent) options in it; ie: the scale-mode picker, maybe per-game options (default cpu speed overrides?), and a ROM picker so we can ditch zenity. Make me a list, I'll keep abreast of this thread :) (I'm living on my phone mostly lately, checking threads once or twice a day until things go back to normal)

jeff

How about The Pandora button for menu, and some firmware changes to make that a standard... <.<

-God Ginrai

skeezix said:
hey guys,

I just did a quick patch, and changed it to 3:2 scaling mode only; its 'nearly full screen', yet still 'doubled' (non-smoothed) to keep Dave happy :)

If you want the old 1:2 unsmoothed mode, stick to the _3 build from my previous snes9x4d4p beta thread here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53890-snes9x4d4p-help-me-beta-test/page__view__findpost__p__864245

NOTES:

- still non-ASM cpu core
- still non-ASM non-hw graphics scaling
- the menu does not let you pick a scaler yet

jeff
I don't hate smoothing if it is done well. I am just not a fan of the bi-linear type that the PSP uses so much. If there was a way to mostly do it without killing contrast etc it would be a good option. In this case here horizontal smoothing (not vertical) would be good too.

I did notice some PND weirdness though. I put this scaled version in the same subdir as the original SNES pnd. I didn't override this icon in the new scaled version. When I went to minimenu BOTH PNDs used the default mario icon that you had in the scaled pnd! The other pnd's icon override was ignored :blink: . That is REALLY weird. I can see a kind of conflict of some kind here even though the filenames are different.

Thanks for the update.

Both use same id for now so will conflict. Not intended to have both at once :) once i get menu with scaler picker this should be 'the' version to go with. Hows 1:3x2 look dave?

Also needs 1:1 for snes high res games added

Jeffphone

skeezix said:
Both use same id for now so will conflict. Not intended to have both at once :) once i get menu with scaler picker this should be 'the' version to go with. Hows 1:3x2 look dave?

Also needs 1:1 for snes high res games added

Jeffphone
It looks ok for those that want it fullscreen. It looks better like that then if it were fraction scaled. I could see some kind of horizontal smoothing would be appropriate there though.

Pnd conflict could be a problem for cases like this. Couldn't the filename be used as a way to differentiate too?

Just adding my 2 cents that I think this version is a big improvement on the old version. Thanks and great work.

I missed a function...a romselector in the emu-setting-menu ^^
Maybe you can insert this little missing feature.

And thanks for your work. I loving the new scaling mode =)

ok, possible bug: Is it just me or is save/load state not working in this release?

Loading previous save states returns me to the desktop as does saving new states. I'm using clean dumps, I'm not sure what could be the problem, it worked fine with the old version.

Cheers skeezix, I didn't really use your previous version because the screen was a little to small for me, I'm as blind as a bat so the BIGGER screen is much welcomed and I'll definitely be getting some snes action in now so niceone :)

Monkey - sience had checked in some changes but i didnt examine them. Possibly the save code changed? Try making new saves and see if they work - perhaps some versioning issue, odd as that may be for snes

Jeffphone

skeezix said:
Monkey - sience had checked in some changes but i didnt examine them. Possibly the save code changed? Try making new saves and see if they work - perhaps some versioning issue, odd as that may be for snes

Jeffphone

He said that saving new states drops him at the desktop as well.

-God Ginrai

MonkeyChops said:
ok, possible bug: Is it just me or is save/load state not working in this release?

Loading previous save states returns me to the desktop as does saving new states. I'm using clean dumps, I'm not sure what could be the problem, it worked fine with the old version.

Me also, saves states not working.

Back