Snes9X4D4P - Beta - 3:2 Scaling Hack

okay, will have to debug it

BTW, regarding .. I like the idea of Pandora button bringing up aq PSP-like ovelay with 'kill app' or 'app list' type options .. we did that originally in fact, but its a bit of work (ie: with PSP, Sony has forced only one system coding approach; we instead, have SDL fullscreen, framebuffer, opengl, and X11 type approaches, so woudl have to ensure whatever system woudl work across all those, plus be fast, etc.) I think everyone agrees a change is in the wind, but its a bit of time to get there.

jeff

skeezix said:
!

What sort of frontend things are you looking for?

ie: For my part, I rather figured to change the 'SPACE' menu so it has a few more (and Pandora-relevent) options in it; ie: the scale-mode picker, maybe per-game options (default cpu speed overrides?), and a ROM picker so we can ditch zenity. Make me a list, I'll keep abreast of this thread :) (I'm living on my phone mostly lately, checking threads once or twice a day until things go back to normal)

jeff

Science said he added .cht support (not in this build right?), so it would make sense to have the ability to enable/disable specific cheats within the .cht file. What gpfce does for nes cheats works very well I think and is very simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Skeezix/Science

Did you get chance to get to the bottom of why save states had borked it?

Thanks skeezix and sience for the emu, I can't believe I'm playing kirby superstar on a handheld!

I must say, I'm not a big fan of the 3:2 scaling, everything looks streeeetched. Not a big fan of stretched text especially, its a bit ugly. But, if it makes dave happy.. :D

quartercast said:
Thanks skeezix and sience for the emu, I can't believe I'm playing kirby superstar on a handheld!

I must say, I'm not a big fan of the 3:2 scaling, everything looks streeeetched. Not a big fan of stretched text especially, its a bit ugly. But, if it makes dave happy.. :D
Actually I don't use that mode, it is for those that complain that the borders are too big and that it doesn't fill the screen enough. It still looks better than a fractional fullscreen stretch but yes SNES wasn't widescreen.

I just use the straight 2X mode.

jonlad1 said:
Hey Skeezix/Science

Did you get chance to get to the bottom of why save states had borked it?

They are broken? Hm. Works on my Dingoo. So maybe this Bug is Pandora specific. I can't test, i have no pandora :-/. Sorry.

DaveC said:

my mistake. so you use the old executable? does sound work on the old pnd? i cant seem to get it to work, even with Prometheuses notes. Only the scaled version plays sound on my panda. :(

Yeah, I've gone back to the old one too cos saves work.

Dave, how can you get 2x working in the old pne? The full screen option in the menu doesn't work?

jonlad1 said:
Yeah, I've gone back to the old one too cos saves work.

Dave, how can you get 2x working in the old pne? The full screen option in the menu doesn't work?

I'm pretty sure the old one was already 2X.

@quartercast: Really? You tried Prometheus's suggestions about deleting the PND and appdata and redownloading it? I'd try it on another card, then, just to see if it is a problem with the card you are using.

-God Ginrai

DaveC said:
Actually I don't use that mode, it is for those that complain that the borders are too big and that it doesn't fill the screen enough. It still looks better than a fractional fullscreen stretch but yes SNES wasn't widescreen.

SNES wasn't narrow screen either. Both are wrong, and by the same amount: one is 20% too wide and the other is 20% too narrow

(although arguably, with overscan the narrow one is probably better than that.. it all depends how much the TV cut off horizontally vs vertically)

Exophase said:
SNES wasn't narrow screen either. Both are wrong, and by the same amount: one is 20% too wide and the other is 20% too narrow

Yep, which is why the 4:3 software scaler for GPFCE on the gp2x by notaz was perfect. Hopefully we will eventually see such an option for the pandora snes and nes emus.

naples39 said:
Yep, which is why the 4:3 software scaler for GPFCE on the gp2x by notaz was perfect. Hopefully we will eventually see such an option for the pandora snes and nes emus.

The option is in the Pandora port of gpfce. It's just broken. :(

(Temper also has a scaler with the same algorithm)

dunno about you perfectionists but I like the full screen hack we have at the moment its not wasting any screen real estate - well maybe a tiny weeny bit at the edges.
It will be better when we have a hardware accelerated full screen option that's adds filters so it looks like it would on a real CRT TV and not seeing the exact pixels like we do currently.

milkshake said:
dunno about you perfectionists but I like the full screen hack we have at the moment its not wasting any screen real estate

you like it that everything looks stretched and fat? ugh

@ GodGinrai

I will try again, that's a good suggestion.

Ive been more or less 'away' fir a few weeks with just time for minor things. Ill be more back next week and ba k to normal in a few weeks

So i made 3x2 scaler. Ut barely had time to run it and no time for debuggery - full time babysitting and beaching instead ;)

Jeffphone

Exophase said:
DaveC said:

(although arguably, with overscan the narrow one is probably better than that.. it all depends how much the TV cut off horizontally vs vertically)
I know, I didn't say either was the correct aspect I just said what I prefer. For some reason though the narrow one appears less distorted. The fullscreen one looks more squashed than the narrow one looks tall. I don't know why maybe optical illusion? I would still like that over a ripply and/or blurry fraction scale from 256 to 320 unless some serious code magic can be done to stretch horizontal only and not lose contrast and sharpness (and not slow it down to a crawl).

skeezix said:
Ive been more or less 'away' fir a few weeks with just time for minor things. Ill be more back next week and ba k to normal in a few weeks

So i made 3x2 scaler. Ut barely had time to run it and no time for debuggery - full time babysitting and beaching instead ;)

Jeffphone

I know you've been real busy but I ( and others for sure) would really appreciate a fix for the save states and the new version when you get chance next week (or whenever). :)

I've started using the old version cos I needs me save states! :lol:

skeezix said:

Jeffphone

Oh! I wish I was beaching, it's miserable in Syd at the moment. Don't forget your babies here on the forum Jeff :D :D :D

Back