Snes9Xc

Viranimus

Still Fresh
Hello.

I just got my Caanoo and after fighting with it for 8 hours last night to get emulators working on it, I managed to get GPSP working flawlessly and the NES emulator working albeit slow and buggy.

I cannot however get Snes9xC working. Ill try to be as specific as possible and I would appreciate any help that can be given.

First and foremost, while I dont know everything, I am at least reasonably capable of doing this. I have ran an A320 for the last year now with little or no issues outside of the device itself. I also spent a large bulk of the 8 hours last night working on this, reading various sources between here, and open consoles website. Ive searched FAQs and manually scanned relevant documents, Ive read the Readme file as well and have yet to hear mention of this specific issue.

I am running base firmware at the moment. I somewhat regret loading everything up to my SDHC card before doing the firmware upgrade, but once I get the base files in place upgrading firmware shouldnt be a problem once i have a SD (non HC) card)

Now here is the issue. Ive been hammering my head against a wall trying to get Snes9xC to work. On only one occasion have I gotten the blue load screen for it, but when I did, There was no menus or text, just a blank page. Ive since tried other options to no avail. Now I can get the Caanoo to recognize the emulator, but all it does is goes to a load screen (black top, white UI bottom) and then after about 4 seconds it goes back to the main menus.

Ive tried to install it to the games folder (the snes folder + config file) (EDIT: Ive tried running it from the explorer menu system) Ive tried to install both files directly to the card inside no file. Ive tried creating a subfolder in games folder to install it there. Ive tried "*you have to adjust the Snes9x4C_Net.gpu and rename to Snes9x4C.gpu" as mentioned in the read me. Ive tried a delete and reinstall. Ive tried to run it as the zipped file. Ive tried to install it from direct extraction. I have basically ran out of ideas on what else to do here.

After trying all these things, ive not once seen a blue screen outside of the one blank fluke to which I cannot recall what I had done to get it and now I seemingly cant even replicate that.

This was the first thing I wanted installed and this is the last major hurdle to work through, outside of waiting for psx/n64/saturn emus

Anyway, I thank you for reading this, and In advance I appreciate any assistance or guidance that might be rendered.

Some people, me included, found the trouble was with the rom names in the /rom folder. Snes9x4C's browser is very basic and can't handle subdirectories or unusual characters being in the rom folder (mine crsshed because some of my filenames had the Spanish ñ character). Maybe you should look in your there and make sure all the roms don't have any odd characters in their names.

I sent you a link with the correct config and instructions via pm let me know if you continue to have issues. You can use sub directories and crazy filenames because it uses pickle launcher instead of native rom browser

YES! Qbert you the man.

Part of what took so long was getting it, installing it, migrating files over into it. (The file names werent an issue as I transposed my library from my a320 dingo and had to manually rename all the snes roms back then)

It does work, ive loaded some games the a320 couldnt even boot.

It is sluggish in performance. Seemingly capping out at 20/60 fps. Also, despite manually configuring the sound level im not hearing anything. All things considered both are a minor bitch as I play mostly RPGs which dont require twitch reflexes and can be ran slowly if need be, and its 8 bit sound, its 9/10 annoying anyway. Would be nice to run smoother w/ sound, but honestly not a real huge concern.

None the less I do thank you for getting me where I needed to go. It is very much appreciated. Now all I have left to do is wait for a working PSX emulator and for the thumb wifi drive to come in to check out the wifi and web browsing capabilities.

Again, thank you, everyone, for the assist.

Viranimus Invictus said:
YES! Qbert you the man.

Part of what took so long was getting it, installing it, migrating files over into it. (The file names werent an issue as I transposed my library from my a320 dingo and had to manually rename all the snes roms back then)

It does work, ive loaded some games the a320 couldnt even boot.

It is sluggish in performance. Seemingly capping out at 20/60 fps. Also, despite manually configuring the sound level im not hearing anything. All things considered both are a minor bitch as I play mostly RPGs which dont require twitch reflexes and can be ran slowly if need be, and its 8 bit sound, its 9/10 annoying anyway. Would be nice to run smoother w/ sound, but honestly not a real huge concern.

None the less I do thank you for getting me where I needed to go. It is very much appreciated. Now all I have left to do is wait for a working PSX emulator and for the thumb wifi drive to come in to check out the wifi and web browsing capabilities.

Again, thank you, everyone, for the assist.

No problem glad it worked. The emulator is currently in beta so it will be a little slow. Overclocking and frame skip is coming soon. What games were having sound issues? I haven't come across any but I don't play rpg's. If you are having any other problems getting other emus working let me know

Last edited by a moderator:
qbertaddict said:
No problem glad it worked. The emulator is currently in beta so it will be a little slow. Overclocking and frame skip is coming soon. What games were having sound issues? I haven't come across any but I don't play rpg's. If you are having any other problems getting other emus working let me know

Sorry for delayed response. Real life called. As an update, both the slow framerate on the Snes as well as Nes emus has been resolved along with the lacking sound issue on the snes emulator. Both seemingly were resolved by upgrading from firmware 1.0.1 to 1.0.6. Now they run normal as in the case of the NES emulator, to too fast as in case of the snes emulator requiring manual adjustment to frameskip settings. All more than tolerable.

Now I am left with the final configuration war which is with wifi setup.

Again, thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back