snesemu and snes9xgp... the difference?

othersyde

Still Fresh
I would sincerely love to play some SNES games on the GP32, but I don't know the difference between the two emus. Can anyone tell me? Are there any specific differences? Also, is there seriously no saving? I guess Chrono Trigger is out of the question...

Snesemu runs games ok without sound and without saving, its been discontinued though. Snes9x is stil being worked on and is not quite as fast as snesemu even with sound off, but there is a new release of gpsnes9x comming out shortly and it should outperform snesemu.

The current release of snes9x seems even too slow to play rpgs, but it does support saving. If you look past the fact it only runs normal speed with a frame skip on 8+ for most games, its a good emu.

SNESemu: No custom keymapping, no saving, but fast - 20 FPS in Zelda, 24 in Super Punch-Out!!, etc. Transparent layers are displayed as solids, causing visibility issues in some games.

SNES9xGP: Has saving and keymapping, but 0.95b release is slow; 12~15 FPS in most games. The next update should improve to about 15~20 FPS, though the project will die if the source isn't released (no more updates are planned). Most RPGs (Seiken Densetsu 3, CT, and FFs) should be fine; Mario RPG's SA-1 chip will likely cause heavy slowdown.

In fact, here's a general list of games that will run slowly or not at all for various reasons - sadly, many of the best SNES games are sluggish or unplayable:

Mode 7-heavy:
Super Mario Kart
PilotWings
F-Zero
F-Zero 2

DSP
Super Mario Kart
F-1 ROC II
PilotWings

Capcom C4:
Megaman X2
Megaman X3

SA-1:
Super Robot Wars EX: Mashoukishin/Lord of Elemental
Super Mario RPG
DBZ Hyper Dimension
Kirby Super Deluxe/Fun Pak/Super Star
Kirby's Dream Land 3

SuperFX:
Stunt Race FX
StarFox

SuperFX2:
DOOM (but we've got an even better port already)
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Street Fighter Alpha 2
StarFox 2

So SNES9X HAS saving?????? As for the framerate, I don't particularely care, I would like to play Chrono Trigger quite a bit, and that shouldnt need to be played too fast.

yeah snes9xGP has save support as far as -- if the actual game has save spots, those will work. Sram save i think it's called. it's not save states like snapshots (when you can save anytime, anywhere, in any game - such as in the 8Bit NES emulator Little John)

NiN^_^NiN posted on Aug 26 2003 said:
Snes9xGP is faster than snes emu now with sound off.

But still u have to have frameskip 3 to get 90 tp 100% speed.

Im not really excited about this update no reason to be really -_-

:ph34r:
Um.. either you are mistaken, handicapped, or talking about the new Snes9xGP coming out. And I'm hoping its the third.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno why intellecto is porting SNES9X instead of Zsnes =/ I can get that to run on weaker machines than SNES9X and it has an infinitely superior layout...

But that's his business, not mine really....Just wondering *shrug*

RoboJoe32 posted on Aug 27 2003 said:
I dunno why intellecto is porting SNES9X instead of Zsnes =/ I can get that to run on weaker machines than SNES9X and it has an infinitely superior layout...

But that's his business, not mine really....Just wondering *shrug*
zsnes is pretty much written entirely in 86x assembly, so it would be a bitch to port. Probably easier to completely rewrite the code for gp32.

snes9x is written in c++ so it is much easier to port, although that is also why it is so slow.

I think the point is that in order to get a decent snes or genesis emulator, we will need a "pedal to the metal" emulator written entirely in arm assembly. I don't think anyone is working on this so don't expect anything anytime soon. It doesn't seem like there are many assembly programmers out there in the gp32 scene.

Ah, so in other words...... (no offense to any of the great coders here) We need a godlike coder of arm and ASM and such, who knows the SNES more than he knows his self and family?

Actually zsnes is in c++

They made it opensource and replaced the asm with c++ the current pc version uses asm but the source code doesn't

Also dark god i think u need to read a bit better let me quote AGAIN

Snes9xGP is faster than snes emu now with sound off

i am talking about the new snes9xGP if u still dont understand

But porting zsnes wouldnt really be worth it as the c++ source is different it just supports the chips and a few other functions a bit better than snes9x but they are basiclly the same besides the menu's thats it.

:ph34r:

Actually zsnes is in c++

They made it opensource and replaced the asm with c++ the current pc version uses asm but the source code doesn't

I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'the current pc version uses asm but the source code doesn't'?

I just downloaded the most current source from sourceforge.net and reviewed the code.

It is about 95% x86 assembly with maybe 5% C misc code.

Actually, an assembly version that looks to be cleaner and more simple to port is SNEese. The sourcecode looks somewhat comprehensible and doesn't have the sprawling bloat of zsnes. I think it is still an active project so it might be worth a look any way.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sneese/

And to answer RoboJoe's question: yep, we need a god as quick as mercury, as strong as hercules and as wise as Apollo and maybe we have a shot.

Lord Namsu posted on Aug 27 2003 said:
No-one ever seems to mention that chrono trigger can't be played because after 5 minutes it just resets the gp32.
I have never had this problem with Chrono Trigger. I run the standard un-altered rom with the latest SNES9x and it works fine. Do you get any errors or is it always five mins into play? Do you get this on any other games?

It runs fine until you have a couple of fights, then it resets. And when Marle gets caught in that time portal at the beginning of the game. I'm not the only person to have these problems either. Another game that doesn't work is Final Fantasy 6, it just reset the GP32 at the same bit of the intro.

It's both. The snes9x port probably doesn't support as many roms as the native PC version does, so your ROM only works on PC. There will be better dumps of Chrono Trigger that work on both snes9x versions.

Back