So, my Pandora arrived...

marktuson

... at 08:45 this morning. It is as cool as I thought it would be, but there are one or two thing that are bugging me, such as the compilers. Where are they? I was under the impression that it was for development as well, so that's rather disappointing.

Also, it appears not to be able to execute PNDs, unless I'm missing something. And my root password is... was anyone going to tell me? Oh, and how do I actually tell it to connect to my wireless, and I'd rather like to be able to drop down to text-mode as well... shouldn't this stuff be in the manual?

In short, I'm disappointed, but still impressed.

When you say compilers, you mean native ones? Those aren't preloaded and have to be installed with opkg.

There is no root password, you have to set it first with sudo passwd

And if PND's aren't working, something about your firmware is messed up.

Last edited by a moderator:
PNDs are not executable files, if You mean so. They're supposed to appear in menu automagically as soon as ypu put them into the right directory on SD card. You can also start .pnd manually using pnd_run comandline tool. And AFAIR in thunar .pnd files has been associated with pnd_run in one of the hotfixes.

You can find loads of info on the Pandora wiki

Glad to hear she arrived for you.

You may want to check you´ve got your PNDs in the relevant dir structure before reflashing etc but some folk have had corrupted installs that wont launch PNDs. (I believe)

As for dev tools and on the Pandora development you'll want to boot from SD as the dev tools take at least 700mb.

You know what your upto clearly but thats still no reason to not use Dave1234s´ excellent PND utilities for SD card set up and a gui based OPKG installer for the dev tools. Grab both here http://boards.openpa...opkg-installer/

Be sure to make the ext3 filesystem partition at least 700mb larger than the default 900 it requires, to give space for the dev tools plus no doubt a ton of other opgk installs you'll want to make. Other than that you just need the root filessystem image from the OP main site but thats linked in Daves thread.

As for wifi you´ll have to experiment as folks mileage varies from unit to unit (its handy to enable it on boot but to hotkey a toggle for it (theres a guide in the tweaks thread in the help forum), dont bother with a default keyring password, leave it blank or it will ask for it constantly (theres a removal tweak in the same place)), but once toggled on, you should be able to detect available networks from the panel icon, enter the password and it should connect. You can then right click to edit the properties and make it auto connect etc. USB Lan adapters also work for wired connections with just ´create a connection´ and no further details needed. You may need to change router channels and encryption types to get better speeds as Pandora is definitely picky about routers. I couldnt get a connection in France at all on a recent holiday and my mifi wasnt any use as there was no 3g coverage anywhere to roam to. Tethered to USB Lan despite the glorious weather was soon scrapped for sun and fine wine with Exaile booming tunes to my creative BT speakers :)

Hope you get sorted and looking forward to your dev creations! This isnt meant to be patronising either, you know way more then me about linux, Im just suggesting good tools to speed you up in getting sorted out.

The WiFi got connected, but appears to be braindead. It found and connected to the network at home, but won't actually communicate. Won't even ping. Little bit annoying, because I need to network, obviously, if I want to opkg.

The PNDs haven't appeared on any menus at all. Maybe I've got them in the wrong directory, dunno.

I'll look into the devel stuff.

What about console switching? I want to be able to switch ttys, but CTRL-ALT-Fx doesn't do anything.

The WiFi got connected, but appears to be braindead.

any strange dmesg message? a few units may have badly soldered wifi chips

Yeah thats the spirit !! 0_o he`s already on a bit of a downer!! now your hitting him with a possible RMA!!

@Mark.. just go through the wiki... gen up! see if you can work it out... then come back here :)

The WiFi got connected, but appears to be braindead.

any strange dmesg message? a few units may have badly soldered wifi chips

Yeah thats the spirit !! 0_o he`s already on a bit of a downer!! now your hitting him with a possible RMA!!

@Mark.. just go through the wiki... gen up! see if you can work it out... then come back here :)
It is connecting, it just is not doing anything. ifconfig and iwconfig are telling me that I'm on the home wireless network I put it onto, and that I've successfully obtained the IP address 192.168.1.10 via DCHP. However, it's not doing anything when I ping or when I open a browser.

PND still isn't doing anything worthwhile unless I mount them manually. I might just extract the files to the SD card and put a partition on the card in my fstab as /usr/bin/ext/ or so, and shove that in my path.

Still looking for compilers. Getting annoyed.

How do you see if your running hotfix5
It shows up on the initial boot screen in lower right hand corner.

Did you try changing WiFi channel, some don't work.
Out of curiosity, I pung localhost, and I got connect: Network is unreachable in reply. Looks like networking just isn't going to work for me.

Is there a way to masquerade usb as ethernet like on the NanoNote? Or will I have to find a PND and run from that - or cross-compile GCC and everything myself?

EDIT: played with it more. For some reason the WiFi is connecting, but networking itself just simply isn't there.

Does nobody know anything about this?

What do you mean by 'networking isn't there'? If you mean that it's showing a connection but not letting you access the internet, then it's probably a problem with your DNS server. An easy way to test for this is to go to 209.85.227.147 in your browser, which should take you to Google.

Is your network secured because I had problems trying to connect to mine when I had WEP for security as soon as I changed to WPA2 it worked great.
I'm running wpa2 and my pandora won't even see a network at all. How can I get wifi to work. I running htfix5. I know thaathere is a way to reflash it but I'm confused on where to put the file. Is it on the root of the SD card or in 1 of the folders ?

Is your network secured because I had problems trying to connect to mine when I had WEP for security as soon as I changed to WPA2 it worked great.
I'm running wpa2 and my pandora won't even see a network at all. How can I get wifi to work. I running htfix5. I know thaathere is a way to reflash it but I'm confused on where to put the file. Is it on the root of the SD card or in 1 of the folders ?
So your pandora will not even recognise that there is a network nearby? (if you click on the power manager, it should come up with a list of available networks).

EDIT: For reflash, instructions are here.

As MarioPandi have written, the dev tools aren't installed because they need too much space. I want to add that you can get them really easy by using this Script to install Angstrom to an SD and then copy the archive from this thread (attention, German. Use Google translator. This is a direct link to the download, which will sooner or later be outdated) into its root.

Back