So... Still Not Impressed With Xbox 360 Graphics?

bast525

Well... I ended up picking up an Xbox 360 this past tuesday.

I wasn't going to. I didn't preorder one. Everyone who knows me at all was surprised... I mean I have almost every system ever made... console and handheld, going back to 8 bit NES. I've made it a point to be among the first to own any system since I've started working and could make that choice for myself.

But the 360 just didn't do anything for me. I was at E3, and the games I saw... didn't look a whole lot better than say, Doom 3 on Xbox 1. Plus once they decided to split the market with the Core and Premium packs, I was pissed.

Well... long story short, I changed my mind... I bought into the hype, everyone I knew just reacted like "Dammmmnnn you're NOT gonna get one?" and in the end it was just peer pressure :p I got my image to maintain... so, I bought one.

Okay now that that bit of backstory is out of the way, I just had my first "WOW" moment... mind you, this was surprising to me... as I said, I tried quite a few games for the 360 at E3 and was not impressed, as most of you have not been, by it's graphics. But I just saw it do something that literally made me unconciously just drop my jaw and say WOW, and my wife too, as she was watching when I was playing.

If any of you want any help being convinced that this thing is WAY more powerful than the Xbox, PS2, GC or whatever... play Kameo. There is a scene in the game where you are trying to reach a forest and must cross thru a battlefield to get there.... the camera pans down onto the chaos and there are HUNDREDS of guys fighting it out. This isn't FMV or scripted nonsense... you actually ride right thru this mess in real time. You can see that each character has his own AI, they fight their own fights and everything is just chaotic.

You can even get off your horse and partake in the fighting if you want... be careful though... stay off your horse too long and one of the bad guys is likely to steal it! More evidence that each character has a decent rudimentary AI going on that they react to you in this way.

At any rate... hundreds of guys onscreen at once, all fully detailed great looking character models, and a tremendous draw distance, you can see the fighting from VERY far away, and best part of all?

All this going on and there is NO drop in frame rate whatsoever!!

I bought Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, and Project Gotham 3. Having played a few hours of each of them, the other two are good looking games but I don't see any huge leap above current gen graphics, but Kameo just blew me away... sure, taken on their own, a single Kameo character model is not that much better than the average Xbox character model, but no way in hell could the Xbox 1 throw around hundreds of guys like this at once without dropping a single frame.

Oh and it's a damn good game too, though I'm sure most of you have already formed your oppinions on the 360's games being good or crap.... but this is a really good game. Keep in mind, I am much more a fan of old school 2D than anything new.

Ahhhhh now it's just a matter of waiting for Gears of War and Elder Scrolls :D

But FMV is shiiiny....

And I've not played kameo, but the other ones don't look as good as FFX

FFX = Final Fantasy?

You're kidding right?? Hey FFX looks great sure, but me thinks you haven't actually seen PDZ or PGR3 in person to really say that.

PDZ is great looking, not leaps and bounds above Xbox 1, but still above it. The textures, bump mapping, and overall look of the character models is VERY nice, much better than even Doom 3 Xbox.

FFX looks great but trust me it doesn't look better than these games.

I would indeed like an XBOX360...but like most people, pre-order didn't come through (thanks PLAY), so unless a second batch arrives soon...it is unfortunately no XBOX360 for me.

Kameo sounds good Bast, it was Kameo and Condemned that I was going to pick up with my XBOX.

read reviews dude... Condemned doesn't look so good.

Condemned was one of the five playable games at E3 in may and was one of the reasons I was NOT going to get a 360, if that tells you anything. Think your favorite FPS, then take out any weapon that shoots and replace them with pipes or boards with nails in them, and you have the general idea.

The melee combat system IS fun but gets old before too long. Graphically it's good but not fantastic.

I recommend Kameo wholeheartedly. So far I'm loving it, having played about 5 hours of it, spending much of that time just wandering and exploring and looking for hidden goodies. Several times I've just stopped to admire the scenery.

Though I'm not uber-fond of Gamespot, I say read their review of Kameo, I agree with it 100%, and definately think this or maybe perfect dark zero are the best first game to get for the system.

Thanks Bast, Condemned seems yp be getting decent enough reviews?

Do you remember a game called Kingpin? That got slamemd in places, but I loved it, Condemned seems to remind me of that.

The melee action is a major attraction to me...it might get boring fast, but I feel like a change, you know.

PDZ - loved Goldeneye, hated PD on the N64. So, it's a no go. I have COD on the PC, so no point there.

If I do manage a 360 though, I'll defoo pickup Kameo - to me, it reminds me of StarFox adventures on the GC (one of the few games I truley loved on the GC).

bast525 posted on Dec 4 2005 at 10:58 PM said:
Oh and it's a damn good game too, though I'm sure most of you have already formed your oppinions on the 360's games being good or crap.... but this is a really good game. Keep in mind, I am much more a fan of old school 2D than anything new.
Ahhhhh now it's just a matter of waiting for Gears of War and Elder Scrolls :D
N!gga, thanks for that, because I am now convinced that the XBOX 360 will be my next videogame console to get and when I say, to get I mean, SOON...very soon.
*runs out to get an XBOX 360* :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of peeps on these boards already know that I like to talk "BLACK" and call everyone, "n!gga"
It's sort of a public joke?
For example,
Heyzzzzzzzzzz n!gga what~~~~
What's up man? You know what?!!!! You're ma number 1 n!gga !!!!!!11111111
B)

bast525 posted on Dec 4 2005 at 12:13 PM said:
FFX = Final Fantasy?

You're kidding right?? Hey FFX looks great sure, but me thinks you haven't actually seen PDZ or PGR3 in person to really say that.

PDZ is great looking, not leaps and bounds above Xbox 1, but still above it. The textures, bump mapping, and overall look of the character models is VERY nice, much better than even Doom 3 Xbox.

FFX looks great but trust me it doesn't look better than these games.
All I've seen is the fifa game, which looks horrible.

kameo-elements-power-3.jpg

Yum

I will be getting a xbox 360 because is is more powerful than the rev and less powerful then the ps3.(fact the middle system always gets the most games 2600,nes,sms___turbo,gen,snes (samish)___3do,psx,ss,n64___cube,ps2,xbox)

rabbits with hats posted on Dec 4 2005 at 10:56 PM said:

Yum

I will be getting a xbox 360 because is is more powerful than the rev and less powerful then the ps3.(fact the middle system always gets the most games 2600,nes,sms___turbo,gen,snes (samish)___3do,psx,ss,n64___cube,ps2,xbox)

Nothing to do with popularity. Nope.

Kop_007 posted on Dec 4 2005 at 02:31 PM said:
PDZ - loved Goldeneye, hated PD on the N64.
!!!

I don't get that, Goldeneye WAS great but PD eclipsed it in so many ways. I'd go far as to say that PD was the best 64 game released in fact. What was it about PD that you didn't like

SONY posted on Dec 4 2005 at 05:05 PM said:

not a hugely funny one

rabbits with hats posted on Dec 4 2005 at 09:56 PM said:

Yum

erm.....
the GC is much more powerful than the PS2.

bast525 posted on Dec 4 2005 at 12:31 PM said:
read reviews dude... Condemned doesn't look so good.

Condemned was one of the five playable games at E3 in may and was one of the reasons I was NOT going to get a 360, if that tells you anything. Think your favorite FPS, then take out any weapon that shoots and replace them with pipes or boards with nails in them, and you have the general idea.

The melee combat system IS fun but gets old before too long. Graphically it's good but not fantastic.

I just played condemned and the graphics are pretty fantastic as far as looking real, so I disagree here. It is probably the most realistic looking game out. The textures are super sharp, the lighting and shadows look real and the characters have a good amount of polygons. There are some parts that look totally real. Maybe it is because you are always walking around in shithole places that the graphics don't impress? Shitholes never looked so real in a game as in this one though. It is a pretty creepy game and has mood. It is not a FPS though. My biggest complaint is that it is very linear and not super long. I blame that on rushing to get it out for launch.

BTW are you using a HDTV? If not then you are definetly missing out. I have it connected to a HDTV at 1:1 pixel mapping with the VGA cable and the sharpness and detail is amazing. Think like a computer monitor only much bigger.

I played it and everything was all metallic and plasticy. Like a robot mixed with a collagen lip surgery gone horribly wrong. Give me Super Mario Brothers anytime of the day, thank-you-very much! (the upciming one for DS looks awesome)

SONY posted on Dec 4 2005 at 12:05 PM said:
A lot of peeps on these boards already know that I like to talk "BLACK" and call everyone, "n!gga"
For example,
B)

Never...... :rolleyes:

Can someone say "POSER" !!!

Saying N*gga is the quickest way to get beat. :ph34r:

SONY posted on Dec 4 2005 at 05:05 PM said:
For example,
B)
just signed in to say this guy is a complete cock, i bet your mother dislikes you greatly

Back