So Where Is The Pandora In The Press?

craigix said:
parag0n said:
craigix said:
I look at emulation a little like iPods and your old CDs - rip the music you already own and play it on the ipod, so what is wrong with ripping your old PSX CDs and playing those on the Pandora?

Are there arguments for this already?

why are you posting on the forums instead of giving your talk at lrl? :(

what talk? someone tweeted me about doing one but no one ever got back to me about it.

This one. Seems to have been a communications breakdown here.

Last edited by a moderator:
cobaltage said:
I think there will be a huge, probably brief burst of blog coverage when the device is actually out. There's really no point in trying to get more press now anyway.

Hell there is! I want to make as many suckers out there as jealous as possible. :)

Wookiee said:
As much as I sometimes enjoy watching the Gadget Show. You can see bias in the way they sometimes rate things. Can equally imaging Jon Bentley giving the Pandora a rating of two Gs because it doesn't run Windows 7 or something equally as irrelevant.

I like the Gadget Show but it does try to be a little too like Top Gear for my liking. But Suzi...urm (yes I am middle-aged).

craigix said:
parag0n said:
craigix said:
I look at emulation a little like iPods and your old CDs - rip the music you already own and play it on the ipod, so what is wrong with ripping your old PSX CDs and playing those on the Pandora?

why are you posting on the forums instead of giving your talk at lrl? :(

what talk? someone tweeted me about doing one but no one ever got back to me about it.

Fuck Craig! If only you were organised we'd've had our Pandoras two months ago. :p

Edit: typo. As per.
Edit: @banjeed - Nice Logo!

Been talking about reviews etc in another thread and reminded me wanted to throw my view out there about publicity.
Considering the 1st batch sold out, lead time for 2nd, last thing we need is publicity about our bit of kit that's not out yet, delayed by a year, and has always been about to be released. They'll just mention things like phantom etc.
Once it's out, then look for publicity, all those things could then be spun(although it would be the truth) how didn't want to rush it out although could have like other devices. Better hardware, better software, etc. Suddenly the delay is a positive.

Prometheus said:
craigix said:

+1 - it's "format-shifting" to me, as well. :p

Isn't it legally format shifting anyway... because that's precisely what you're doing. Running a backup copy. Or is it the 'emulation' that is the problem, reverse engineering and such?

Also, I remember the bit in Linux Format - I'm sure they'd love to review one, they've done one on the GP2X and the Wiz if I remember correctly.

may88 said:
Pc Plus ran an artical about how Opensource Hardware is almost here. We I had to agree with that. The main bent of the piece was lower cost and open use. Not sure the pandora falls into the first category (but I understand and accept why not). Still no mention. :(
Some nice projects though. Frankencamera RepRap and of course arduino and good old wikipedia has this to ofter (uzebox look interesting).

Pandora is NOT opensource/copyleft hardware. It is an "opensource device" in the sense that it may be used with any OS you want (aka no DRM like on the Ipod or so where you need to "break in" to get stuff running) and the software happens to be "opensource" and the Pandora team promised to release all needed information to *interface* with the hardware. This is a big difference versus truly "opensource hardware".
A true Opensource hardware platform would also release the schematics and gerber files (so that you can actually make your own "copy", just like you can make you own Linux "copy" from compiling the source of a linux distro).
The only current true "opensource" hardware project that even comes vaguely close to the Pandora (in the sence it's a handheld computer device) is the Ben nanonote of qi hardware.

sidenote: I'm not bashing anyone here, just trying to explain the difference.

Back