Softdisk Catacomb series + Hovertank 3D now open sourced

Catacomb Abyss was one of the very first pc games I ever played (at work actually as I had an Amiga, not a pc at the time). It was awesome. Until Wolfenstein 3D and Doom arrived...

Catacomb Abyss was one of the very first pc games I ever played (at work actually as I had an Amiga, not a pc at the time). It was awesome. Until Wolfenstein 3D and Doom arrived...
You had an Amiga and you thought that Catacomb Abyss was awesome? Really?

D.

I had never played any real-time "3D" type games on the Amiga (it wasn't until Doom that these arrived) - the only other game I'd played like this prior to it was Sultan's Maze on the Amstrad CPC. There was Dungeon Master et al, but that wasn't full real-time movement. This was also my one of very first proper FPS games. Sure the graphics weren't great, but the game played brilliantly. Me and a work colleague spent hours playing it through during quiet periods. It introduced a new genre to me and showed that the future of gaming was going to get even more interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had never played any real-time "3D" type games on the Amiga (it wasn't until Doom that these arrived) - the only other game I'd played like this prior to it was Sultan's Maze on the Amstrad CPC. There was Dungeon Master et al, but that wasn't full real-time movement. This was also my one of very first proper FPS games. Sure the graphics weren't great, but the game played brilliantly. Me and a work colleague spent hours playing it through during quiet periods. It introduced a new genre to me and showed that the future of gaming was going to get even more interesting.
Ahh, you're talking about Catacomb3D. The original was 2D, character based movement and was altogether bloody awful :)

D.

Back