Soldering

bismuthdrummer

I was thinking of soldering on a new internal microphone and, if I can, power plugin. I broke off the mic when taking apart my Pandy, and the power loses connection periodically. I believe the inside of the power jack is loose and unreliable from general usage; I can use it if I get the angle just right. But that's annoying.

I already looked at the Wiki and the Hardware Hacker's manual, and I couldn't find answers to the following questions:

1) How dumb am I for trying this?

2) What parts do I need for replacement?

For the mic, it seems to me that this guy would work. But it might make my Pandora explode, I really have no idea. Which is why I'm asking even though I don't mind breaking stuff in the name of education. I couldn't find the power jack either, although I admittedly am unsure what to look for.

3) Any Pandora-specific soldering tips?

Tips as in "advice", not soldering iron tips. I have one that should work.

If there's any resources I missed, kindly post them and I will gladly educate myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
well looking at the pictures in the manual, it looks to me like the mic is through hole mounting, so that will be easy to replace. the mic you have chosen looks like it should work. the charge jack may prove to be problematic though. if you're lucky, it may be a cracked solder joint, so you might be able to just re-tin the connections. if all else fails and the jack is broken, you might be able to ask ED for a jack, or where to buy them.

I can only answer the first of your questions, and the short answer is that it depends on your soldering skill. Electronics aren't magic, so if you solder it right then it should work just fine, whereas if you're the kind of person that tends to drop blobs of solder or cross your tracks, then perhaps you should make do without a microphone.

Assuming you are going ahead with the soldering, I would suggest that you set aside an afternoon to do it, and find some way of setting up a magnifying glass to help you. Although I haven't taken my pandora apart, I don't think the soldering will require any superhuman amount of skill but you'll want to make sure you do it right.

I'll contact ED on the power jack.

My soldering skill is the same as someone who has never soldered before. Because I've never soldered before. I still feel alright doing it, though, I've watched some instructional videos and consider myself meticulous enough not to do anything too disastrous. If come showtime I don't feel I can do it I will live without.

Thanks for the input. That makes me feel better.

Some quick tips, don't solder in shorts or in your underwear.. licking the soldering iron is generally not advised. You can use a soldering iron and a block of wood to make art, perhaps a portrait of EvilDragon or a duck..

Probably my only piece of advice would be not to use too much solder (or tin, or whatever it is called where you live). Other than that, good luck.

Back