Some things I've noticed with GPEngine...

Ranma13

Do any of you get these same effects?

1. Whenever you play a game where your ship/person/whatever flashes (as in when you just die and you're invincible for a little while), the sprite is invisible.

2. Some games are not playable (do not load, plays a hissing static sound, refuses to go past a certain menu), I know it can't be 100% compatible with all games but the problem is that over 50% of the ROMs I have are unplayable, although they play perfectly fine on the computer.

3. Some sprites just don't show up in certain games (can't name any off the top of my head).

4. Sound is a bit screwy in some games, it's not exactly 100%, kinda hard to describe...

5. Games seem to play slower than the PC version (maybe it's just running at lower framerate, or maybe it's just my eyes)...

In answer to your questions.....

1. GPengine has a default frameskip mode of 1. This means it only displays every second frame. In other words, it's only displaying the 'blank' frames of the flashing sprite. This can also happen the other way around, where the sprite is constantly displayed rather than flashing....

2. Hmmm - this is weird - I found about 95% or ROMS work fine.... Have you definitely got the latest version?

3. Yeah - Bonk 2 for example - just emulation probs again...

4. Again, not perfectly emulated, though about 90% should be ok.

5. Depends on the amount of sprites etc. GP32 has to work much harder and so may slow down a little more often than a nice fat PC when the going gets tough!

Cheers

Also, try Japanese Games rather than US ones. They seem to have higher compatability. The Bonk games are a prime example of this.

Actually, most of the time when games don't play, all you need to do is manually tell GPEngine whether its US or JAP. A lot of them aren't recognised in the database, so appear not to work, but actually are compatible - just a bit more work from you (ideal example being Bonk 3)

Back