Someone Can Post Screenshots Of Screen Tearing

renejr902

Website
Visit site
someone can post screenshots of Screen Tearing

i want to see it more precisly , i hesitate to buy it, my online shop has some in stock.

im not sure i saw the screen tearing in youtube. i think my onestation have screen tearing but im not sure about that.

thanks for help.

is it some diagonal line that appears on some textures when the screen is scrolling ?

I saw it in a video that showed a Vice (Commodore Emu) rainbowish loading screen, I believe.. Look at the Youtube vids from Pickle or Craigix, cannot remember which it was.. It's very obvious.

If you have any reservations about the tearing (after you see what it's like) don't buy a Wiz.

It's the main reason I'm holding off. Things like that are enough to put me off from really enjoying a device, and I know that about myself. For less picky people it's probably not a big deal. For others it is. Especially when the screen is so nice - tearing would be like a big ugly wart on the nose of a beautiful face.

Plus, it gives GPH good reason to fix (assuming they really can) the problem if they learn people aren't buying because of it.

I must say, I installed the Ruckage gaming pack on my Wiz (finally got it working again) and completely forgot about the screen tearing issues. Never noticed a single tear.

In the new MAME version there is an option to get rid of the tearing. The performance hit in the games I tested is not that much I expected. Sometimes there is no performance loss noticable.
With the new firmware version 1.0.1 there is no more tearing in the menu.
There never was tearing in the videoplayer since the inital release.

You can see the effect in the flash player in this video @ 1.57 and 2.23 and 2.27.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5szdNBXOFUQ

Regards,
Stephan

Last edited by a moderator:
DigitalAnvil posted on May 31 2009 at 11:40 PM) [quote="Prophet posted on May 31 2009 at 03:13 PM said:
It's the main reason I'm holding off. Things like that are enough to put me off from really enjoying a device, and I know that about myself. For less picky people it's probably not a big deal. For others it is. Especially when the screen is so nice - tearing would be like a big ugly wart on the nose of a beautiful face.

Plus, it gives GPH good reason to fix (assuming they really can"] the problem if they learn people aren't buying because of it.
They will be able to fix it with firmware upgrades.

If im not mistaken, the F-200 had tearing issue as well with the earlier releases.[/quote]
No GP2X models had diagonal tearing. It's not the same issue. It's not something that can be resolved by changing hardware configuration. It's not something that will fixable universally via the firmware alone.

hmmm !! ITS PRETTY BAD. i saw it. does it happen very often in picodrive and gpfce ? every second, every minute ?? at every minute its not too bad, but 5 times a minutes would be horrible.

i just saw a picodrive video playing sonic, it didnt happen in the first 2 minutes. so its not so bad ? isnt? does it happen during gameplay ?

renejr902 posted on May 31 2009 at 06:24 PM said:
i just saw a picodrive video playing sonic, it didnt happen in the first 2 minutes. so its not so bad ? isnt? does it happen during gameplay ?
Look, I can't see how anybody would take the screen tearing as a fucking deal breaker. Its constant, but its HARDLY noticeable. And it WILL be fixed in a later update. So calm down, its a wonderful little machine, but its brand-spankin new. Give it a rest already people!

renejr902 posted on May 31 2009 at 06:24 PM said:
Look, I can't see how anybody would take the screen tearing as a fucking deal breaker. Its constant, but its HARDLY noticeable. And it WILL be fixed in a later update. So calm down, its a wonderful little machine, but its brand-spankin new. Give it a rest already people!
It is a flaw that will bother some people.

I bothers me too. I am not sorry that I bought it because of it, I would buy it again if I had too, but it can be distracting at times.

Like everyone else has said, it really depends on how easily annoyed you are. As for me, I probably wouldn't have even noticed it if it hadn't been such a big deal on these forums. However, even though I NOTICED it, it's incredibly easy for me to ignore, to the point where I typically don't notice it anymore.

I'd upload a video but my camera is very poor quality so you might not be able to see it. However, I might give it a try later today if I can get it focused good enough.

hmmm !! ITS PRETTY BAD. i saw it. does it happen very often in picodrive and gpfce ? every second, every minute ?? at every minute its not too bad, but 5 times a minutes would be horrible.
How often it happens really depends on the author of the software you are using. At its worst, it could happen 60 times a second, at best it will not happen at all. There are ways to alter software which has the annoying effect so that it doesn't happen at all, but it may cause some performance hits.
I very much doubt it can be fixed 100% in firmware alone.

Like everyone else has said, it really depends on how easily annoyed you are. As for me, I probably wouldn't have even noticed it if it hadn't been such a big deal on these forums. However, even though I NOTICED it, it's incredibly easy for me to ignore, to the point where I typically don't notice it anymore.

I'd upload a video but my camera is very poor quality so you might not be able to see it. However, I might give it a try later today if I can get it focused good enough.
I think really the only time it's extremely noticeable isn't when there's scrolling in a game, but rather a quick flash or screen transition, that's where you can usually see it. BUT, it's not that bad, and it doesn't make games harder to play or anything, and after a while of playing with it you'll barely even notice it anymore.

I think really the only time it's extremely noticeable isn't when there's scrolling in a game, but rather a quick flash or screen transition, that's where you can usually see it. BUT, it's not that bad, and it doesn't make games harder to play or anything, and after a while of playing with it you'll barely even notice it anymore.
This is completely true, and usually since it's a QUICK flash or transition it's not going to be anything that would bother anybody. I realized that none of the cameras I have are good enough for you to see the tearing, but to be honest it took me a while just to find something where I noticed the tearing just as an option to film. The one thing where I notice it is if you scroll quickly through a text document in Reader2x, and frankly I doubt anyone is going to be reading so fast that that would be an issue (I only noticed it when scrolling through a document to find a certain part). There are probably certain games that suffer the tearing worse than others but if I can't even find a decent example then I think the issue is blown a little out of proportion.

Thanks for the video sbock,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5szdNBXOFUQ

The screen tearing issue is pretty subtle but it is noticeable.

Wiz vs GP2X:

+smaller
+new gadget smell
+battery life
+d-pad
+OLED

-screen tearing
-performance not much better than 2X (so far)
-costs money when GP2X already owned.
-less software than 2X (so far)

I'll probably stick with my GP2X for a while longer.

Do note that this tearing is only present when developers use the Wiz in 320x240 mode. When they use the 240x320 mode, no tearing is visible.

So if it becomes annoying to you, you can always modify the app to remove the tearing.

Do note that this tearing is only present when developers use the Wiz in 320x240 mode. When they use the 240x320 mode, no tearing is visible.

So if it becomes annoying to you, you can always modify the app to remove the tearing.
Yeah, good luck with that, I don't think firmware 1.0.0 supports the ioctl for changing the screen direction. I assume 1.0.1 does but a lot of people aren't upgrading.

Back