Release Sonic Robo Blast 2

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
Put up a port of srb2.

Sonic Robo Blast 2 is a 3D open-source Sonic the Hedgehog fangame built using a modified version of the Doom Legacy port of Doom. SRB2 is closely inspired by the original Sonic games from the Sega Genesis, and attempts to recreate the design in 3D. While SRB2 isn't fully completed, it already features tons of levels, enemies, speed, and quite a lot of the fun that the original Sonic games provided.

Pnd File : http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,35,97
Data Files : http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,35,98 or here http://www.srb2.org/download/

I left it 800x480 fullscreen and its frame skips a lot at 500 Mhz, so either clock up and/or lower the resolution (wont be fullscreen though)

Pickle said:
Put up a port of srb2.

Sonic Robo Blast 2 is a 3D open-source Sonic the Hedgehog fangame built using a modified version of the Doom Legacy port of Doom. SRB2 is closely inspired by the original Sonic games from the Sega Genesis, and attempts to recreate the design in 3D. While SRB2 isn't fully completed, it already features tons of levels, enemies, speed, and quite a lot of the fun that the original Sonic games provided.

Pnd File : http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,35,97
Data Files : http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,35,98 or here http://www.srb2.org/download/

I left it 800x480 fullscreen and its frame skips a lot at 500 Mhz, so either clock up and/or lower the resolution (wont be fullscreen though)

You just made my day. ^_^

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Wolfsclaw said:
Cool, someone with a Pandora do some photos/videos for the rest of us to do what it looks like!? :)

I'll be able to give you a review of it soon. Not sure about photos and vids, however. :\

-God Ginrai

Strange, Even my P4 2.4 ghz with Geforce 4 could not handle it at constant 20 (320x200) fps in some stages...Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to make it run faster?
The psp version is a little...creepy:

Youtube video

So, How well Pandora is running it?

Does someone want to guide me in the right direction? I downloaded both things but it doesn't run when I execute it on my pandora. Is there something else I need? Like original doom stuff?

siloucos said:
Strange, Even my P4 2.4 ghz with Geforce 4 could not handle it at constant 20 (320x200) fps in some stages...Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to make it run faster?

Youtube video

lol
This is a modified "2.5D" DOOM Engine? What the heck did they done with the engine? I mean I've played DOOM onto a 386DX40 and it was fast enough to play it well. :lol:
Where is all the Performance gone? I remember that DOOM itself ran full speed at the GP2X, even Duke 3D ran perfect at 200MHz and it had a far more advanced raycasting Engine than DOOM.
I like the Idea of this Game, I like Sonic. But I guess I wait untill these performance issues are ironed out. :) SONIC needs Full Speed otherwise it is not Sonic.

fusion_power said:
siloucos said:

Youtube video

lol
This is a modified "2.5D" DOOM Engine? What the heck did they done with the engine? I mean I've played DOOM onto a 386DX40 and it was fast enough to play it well. :lol:
Where is all the Performance gone? I remember that DOOM itself ran full speed at the GP2X, even Duke 3D ran perfect at 200MHz and it had a far more advanced raycasting Engine than DOOM.
I like the Idea of this Game, I like Sonic. But I guess I wait untill these performance issues are ironed out. :) SONIC needs Full Speed otherwise it is not Sonic.

That was on a PSP, not the Pandora. I just finished running it at standard clock, and it ran fullspeed, but felt like frames were being dropped. Definitely playable. I will let you know what the results are for 600, and if need be 700 MHz within the next couple of hours.

-God Ginrai

Drak said:
Does someone want to guide me in the right direction? I downloaded both things but it doesn't run when I execute it on my pandora. Is there something else I need? Like original doom stuff?

you need to give more hints on how you did things. Where did you put the data files? Check the log in tmp and post whats in it. Theres also a log in appdata/srb/.srb

Pickle said:
Drak said:

you need to give more hints on how you did things. Where did you put the data files? Check the log in tmp and post whats in it. Theres also a log in appdata/srb/.srb

I put mine in appdata/srb2 and that worked. Why srb?

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Pickle said:
Drak said:

I put mine in appdata/srb2 and that worked. Why srb?

-God Ginrai

sorry that was just a typo, should be srb2

Changed my edit into a post (got ninja'd by a response. ;P): Tried the game at 600 MHz, it ran well but then randomly crashed during the second act, so I bumped it down to 550 and everything was fine. I have noticed that the background music will just stop playing after a while, which I know does not happen on the PC version. (also, it doesn't stop at the end of the loop, but rather in mid song) However, if you get a new life or something that plays special music, then after that music is finished, the background music will start up again.

-God Ginrai

Pickle said:
Drak said:

Ha I checked the dirs after, a blonde moment for me...

Game works pretty well at 750mhz, but there is some slowdown on level 2 where there is lots of baddies :)

Thanks!

Hi Pickle,

I don't have a Pandora so I can't test this port of SRB2 for any problems, but I'd like to say thanks for working on this. =) If you have made any source modifications, I would really appreciate it if you could post them here so I could perhaps merge them with SRB2's subversion repository. And if you haven't done it already, I can make a new Pandora target to automatically create a PND for the SRB2 binary as well.

This is a really cute game, and lots of fun .. however I found it a little bit hard to control at points, Sonic just zips around like mad and that gets frustrating, bonking into walls and so on .. I wonder if thats a control-scheme thing, like maybe using the joypads would help so that there are sensitive moves possible?

Anyway, great to see unique and interesting titles on the Pandora! :)

torpor said:
This is a really cute game, and lots of fun .. however I found it a little bit hard to control at points, Sonic just zips around like mad and that gets frustrating, bonking into walls and so on ..

Welcome to the world of 3D Sonic games :p

The games on the Dreamcast were pretty much just as bad to control!

Callum Dickinson said:
Hi Pickle,

I don't have a Pandora so I can't test this port of SRB2 for any problems, but I'd like to say thanks for working on this. =) If you have made any source modifications, I would really appreciate it if you could post them here so I could perhaps merge them with SRB2's subversion repository. And if you haven't done it already, I can make a new Pandora target to automatically create a PND for the SRB2 binary as well.

I plan to put up a zip of the source shortly

torpor said:
This is a really cute game, and lots of fun .. however I found it a little bit hard to control at points, Sonic just zips around like mad and that gets frustrating, bonking into walls and so on .. I wonder if thats a control-scheme thing, like maybe using the joypads would help so that there are sensitive moves possible?

Anyway, great to see unique and interesting titles on the Pandora! :)

Use Tails, Sonic is considered for expert players that have the hang of his speed and controls ;) Tails is slower, but much easier to control and can fly :D

If we're having a best-character debate, Knucles can drift-fly AND climb walls! :p

SRB2 on the Pandora! YES!
Been looking forward to this port for a while now...

But, question: Can anyone who has a Pandora please record SRB2 running on it? I want some proof that it's running well for my own sanity.
Thanks!

EDIT: 100th Post! Yay! :p

Back