Sonic Vs. Mario

Mario (NES / SNES) vs. Sonic (SEGA Genesis)

• Total voters

aesir911

aesir triumphs
Which is better, sonic or mario? And we're talking about NES vs. SEGA Genesis games (perchance SNES too). After all, SEGA kinda started to die after that...

(in terms of enjoyment, not "well-roundedness" and how long it is...)

If sonic was all like Green Hill Zone I'd love it.

But then you are straight in to Marble Zone. Which is hopelessly slow.

What were they thinking?

Sonic and Knuckles is probably the best one, but Mario4 beats them all imo.

And I had a SMS/MD.

Sega vs SNES....I'd have to say Mario because the games are much more well rounded. No Sonic game on Sega can compete with Super Mario World's length or setup.

If expanded to the DS games, NSMB (just comparing the 2D platformers) and Sonic Rush/Sonic Rush Adventure, I think it's closer, as the Rush games were a much faster and more fluid experience than I ever had on the Sega.

I just can't find a mario game that beats sonic 2. spin dash or jump on someone... hmmm...

(every sonic game incorporates much more differences and improvements than any mario world game ever did... especially graphic wise. There's also sonic spinball, that's as diverse as you can get!)

EDIT: That's okay CoMiKE, the more who agree with me the better... many people love the old marios just because it has Nintendo labeled to it.

Sonic 2 seems to me like the reference plataformer. It's an incredible mix of fantastic controls, wonderful graphics and incredible rock music.

I do also like Mario music a lot, but the graphics are nowhere near to Sonic and the controls feel too heavy to me.

EDIT: aesir911, you beat me on a very similar opinion by seconds. :D

I never understood Sonic. The 2D games aren't much fun for me. I like racing through a level in those, but after 5 minutes that's boring and I never got how to play it properly. The only Sonic game I had some fun with was Sonic and the Secret Rings on Wii.

Mario on the other hand has pretty much perfect gameplay. Especially Super Mario World on the SNES, which will always be one of my favourite games ever.

I can only quote Tails: "Sonic!"

No, really, sonic is the real deal, on any platform I had so far. Sonic1-knuckles - wonderful. Sonic Adventure 1&2 on Dreamcast - wow. I even love Sonic Unleashed on PS3, Mario is just meeeh. Hope we will see a Sonic Adventure 3 soon.
From what I see in the poll, I can only asume most people here played sonic on the GameBoyAdvance - meeeh.

craigix said:
If sonic was all like Green Hill Zone I'd love it.

But then you are straight in to Marble Zone. Which is hopelessly slow.

What were they thinking?

Sonic and Knuckles is probably the best one, but Mario4 beats them all imo.

And I had a SMS/MD.

I agree with this. I don't like the first Sonic game that much. Only two of the zones really have any kind of speed. Green Hill feels like a tease. Having to constantly stop and wait for moving platforms or get more air kills too much.

Sonic 2 is a much more enjoyable experience for me. I also like Sonic 3 & Knuckles, as a cohesive whole, although I prefer the Sonic & Knuckles levels a lot more than the Sonic 3 levels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mario: Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island and Mario 64 are god dammned masterpeices. As a kid I would have said Sonic, yeah... good old Sonic 2 still has a place in my heart.

I like larger games that allow you to explore.
Mario (we're talking original ones here) was a very linear game, very little in terms of exploration. However, what little exploration there was was encouraged and rewarded with coins or short cuts.
Sonic, on the other hand, had large maps with often different paths to the end. Unfortunately, time and speed were encouraged, not exploration. Although exploration was occasionally rewarded, you had to be lucky to find the reward. You didn't have time to try to jump against every wall or try every path, unlike Mario where hitting down on every pipe didn't really cost you a lot of time.
This all changed with Mario 3, really: bigger world, bigger levels, the ability to fly: all points that increased the explorationability of the Mario games. And when Mario64 came along, that was it: big huge world with no time limits that greatly encouraged exploration. As I recall, when Sonic made the transition into 3D, it basically went the exact opposite: his games became more linear with less chance to explore. Which was sad, because it was a really pretty game.

WizardStan said:
As I recall, when Sonic made the transition into 3D, it basically went the exact opposite: his games became more linear with less chance to explore. Which was sad, because it was a really pretty game.

In Sonic Adventure there were hub worlds inbetween the linear 'Action' stages. Not particularly great but at least the game had variety.

conso said:
Sonic Adventure 1&2 on Dreamcast - wow. I even love Sonic Unleashed on PS3, Mario is just meeeh.

Son, what the hell are you on?

And can I have some?

Nova said:
conso said:
Sonic Adventure 1&2 on Dreamcast - wow. I even love Sonic Unleashed on PS3, Mario is just meeeh.

Son, what the hell are you on?

And can I have some?

Some thing similar to me, because SA2:B is possible my favorite game, and I've only played Sonic Unleashed demo on the 360. but fucking hell it was intense. I love it. The first Rush game is amazing too.

(naw)mcx said:
Some thing similar to me, because SA2:B is possible my favorite game, and I've only played Sonic Unleashed demo on the 360. but fucking hell it was intense. I love it. The first Rush game is amazing too.

Wow. It's like we're from different universes or something.

My world view:

sonicgraph.png

ashdjones said:
(naw)mcx said:

My world view:

I feel exactly the same. And I mean EXACTLY, it's kinda spooky.

ashdjones said:
(naw)mcx said:

My world view:

bdk3uo.gif

Nova said:
I feel exactly the same. And I mean EXACTLY, it's kinda spooky.

We're probably about the same age. Everyone who grew up with Sonic (the Megadrive games) as a kid feels this way I reckon.

Back