Sonic Vs. Mario

Mario (NES / SNES) vs. Sonic (SEGA Genesis)

• Total voters

(naw)mcx said:
sonicrev.png

FTFY

Last edited by a moderator:
aesir911 said:
I just can't find a mario game that beats sonic 2. spin dash or jump on someone... hmmm...

(every sonic game incorporates much more differences and improvements than any mario world game ever did... especially graphic wise. There's also sonic spinball, that's as diverse as you can get!)
I agree and disagree with this statement. Staying within the criteria I will only be accessing the NES/SNES and Genesis. I agree that Sonic 2 is absolutely fantastic and probably does beat any single Mario game but when you look at the series as a whole any Mario game beats Sonic 1, 3 and Knuckles and if you want to talk about the diversity of the Sonic franchise citing games like Sonic Spinball don't forget about the acclaimed Mario Kart series which was started on the SNES and while they are completely different genres and shouldn't normally be compared, Mario Kart was a much better game than Spinball.

Also, every Sonic game did incorporate small significant improvements, however, the core gameplay was largely the same from each of the four games. Each Mario game was drastically different, compare SMB1 to SMB2(USA) then to SMB3 each game was very very unique its own right. SMW followed SMB3 footsteps pretty closely and in doing so perfected the whole series, imo.

So, I believe the Mario games are indeed better.

However, having said all that, your first post you asked to judge "in terms of enjoyment, not "well-roundedness"" and considering all this, I must say, I definitely enjoyed Sonic more.

I grew up owning a Sega MegaDrive in my early teens so mostly played on Sonic. But my neighbour had a Super Nintendo and had a small collection of Mario games. To be fair, we both played them equally as we would take turns in hosting a console session and we sometimes used to give up on Mario as at times would wind us up when we couldn't do a certain level to try and unlock/complete Mario with 100%. So at most of those times used to pick up Sonic for a more enjoyable fast paced gaming session.
smile.gif

I have to say Mario because I've enjoyed Mario games more. Sonic games were just too fast and most of the time just seemed to be the same thing over and over. The only level I really liked in Sonic 2 was the oil factory one because most of the level wasn't running around but more of a plat former.

Also, Mario has stayed true to his roots over the years, every Mario game feels like a Mario game. Sonic games have gone through some weird stuff, their RPG didn't seem like Sonic as much as Super Mario RPG, Partners in time, and Bowser's inside story seemed like a Mario game.

Mario games however are simple compared to Sonic games. I'll use the RPG element again, Sonic Chronicles had a much better story line than any of the Mario RPGs.

I like Sonic games but I just like Mario games more.

[X] Sonic of course! :)

I loved all Megadrive Sonic Games, especialy Sonic 2, I loved these Graphic style, the music and the Levels. Fav Level/Music was "Chemical Plant Zone" but I also loved the Graphics of the other zones like Aquatic Ruin or Emerald Hill.
All in all the better game compared to Sonic 1 (in my opinion)
"Sonic 3" + "Sonic & Knuckles" is also a very good game(s) :)
Of course, Sonic is more like a 2D racing game instead of a classic Platfomrer so comparing Sonic with Mario is not so easy I think.

Back