SONY PlayStation Vita (PS Vita)

My local Gamestop finally got a demo unit. I got to try out Uncharted, WipEout 2048, Little Deviants and Gravity Rush. The next 18 days will be very long... :D

It's not 100% English.
Ah so the in menu language in the vita cannot be switched to full english.Pain in the arse when it comes to adjusting settings and such.Makes me glad i didn't import.
Actually, I believe the language can be set to full english, or full whatever other laguages are availible. The problem is with the included apps. Many dont have english options, so even though you can do basic system functions in english, programs have native Japanese in place.

@wermy

I went to my local gamestop a few days ago, but they didn't have it. I was actually torn in going, as I knew if I got to play it, the wait would be even worse. So I think I might steer clear of Bestbuy, or other gamestops until release.

Chris

It's not 100% English.
Ah so the in menu language in the vita cannot be switched to full english.Pain in the arse when it comes to adjusting settings and such.Makes me glad i didn't import.
Actually, I believe the language can be set to full english, or full whatever other laguages are availible. The problem is with the included apps. Many dont have english options, so even though you can do basic system functions in english, programs have native Japanese in place.

@wermy

I went to my local gamestop a few days ago, but they didn't have it. I was actually torn in going, as I knew if I got to play it, the wait would be even worse. So I think I might steer clear of Bestbuy, or other gamestops until release.

Chris
Ah ok i see. Think ill save the excitement and not ruin it by playing it before i buy it.For me this is looking far more promising than the 3ds.

http://kotaku.com/5880332/should-sony-be-worried-about-the-playstation-vita-maybe-it-already-is

Should Sony be Worried About the PlayStation Vita? Maybe it Already is...

5483b748bcc2b84903060ae84dfbcda7.jpg

@wermy

Chris

Well according to Gamestop's website, they only started putting out the demo units yesterday, so they may have one now. :) http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/events/psvita/

I'm happy I went, as it made me even more excited than I was! Makes me feel like a kid at Christmas again. :D

Should Sony be Worried About the PlayStation Vita? Maybe it Already is...
If it weren't for this forum, I wouldn't really know about the Vita. It seems to me that Sony did a fairly minimal ad campaign for it. For the PSP, I remember TV ads, billboards, radio spots, controversy. There's nothing like that this time. Looking at it in store catalogues or through brief web searches, I'm imagining someone basically going "Oh, another PSP. I've still got mine" because it basically just looks like a minor iteration to the original.

Agreed! No advertising what so ever.

Here in the states, there is a tie in to Taco Bell, for a free give a way, but besides that, NOTHING, and even if you watch that commercial you would hardly know it was for a new handheld by Sony.

Maybe they don't have the high quantities that would be needed for a worldwide launch, so they are waiting for a later time for a bigger push(trying to avoid sell outs). So many game companies have such a twisted vision of video game consumers, and you can never really tell what is going on in there minds. They may be thinking at this time of year no one is willing to pay so much for a new console except for the hardcore, and they already know about it.

Today is SuperBowl, so I would like to think they would at least spend some money on a cool spot during that, as it is the most watched program worldwide every year. I would love to see the Japanese "Gravity Daze" commercial, as it has that cool superbowl commercial feel from back in the day, but I'm sure no one at Sony is doing that much thinking.

But if they don't run some kind of ad today, I doubt they ever will.

Chris

Agreed! No advertising what so ever.

Here in the states, there is a tie in to Taco Bell, for a free give a way, but besides that, NOTHING, and even if you watch that commercial you would hardly know it was for a new handheld by Sony.

Maybe they don't have the high quantities that would be needed for a worldwide launch, so they are waiting for a later time for a bigger push(trying to avoid sell outs). So many game companies have such a twisted vision of video game consumers, and you can never really tell what is going on in there minds. They may be thinking at this time of year no one is willing to pay so much for a new console except for the hardcore, and they already know about it.

Today is SuperBowl, so I would like to think they would at least spend some money on a cool spot during that, as it is the most watched program worldwide every year. I would love to see the Japanese "Gravity Daze" commercial, as it has that cool superbowl commercial feel from back in the day, but I'm sure no one at Sony is doing that much thinking.

But if they don't run some kind of ad today, I doubt they ever will.

Chris
I hope they do run advertising soon.The new incentives being offered as stated in the kotaku article may just be indicative of sony being more organic in their approach this time.Thay may have observed sales and user habits in japan and just tweaked things for the west.Certainly the absurdly high memory card prices are mental.A reduction to 35 dollars for the 8 gig is good.I hope the vita succeeds as its looks ace.

Perhaps SONY are aiming to be the new Apple, quiet product launch, horrible stock levels, massive buzz generated by media reporting product as constantly out of stock.

It's a weird time of year to launch, too, right after Christmas. It's clearly aimed at the hardcore gaming bunch, because your average kid isn't going to be getting a Vita unless they've got a birthday coming up.

I don't much care if it flops. As long as it gets rooted!

Perhaps SONY are aiming to be the new Apple, quiet product launch, horrible stock levels, massive buzz generated by media reporting product as constantly out of stock.
They did that with the PS3. Didn't work so well.

They did that with the PS3. Didn't work so well.
Yeah, Apple is Apple and I don't think anyone will ever take that crown. They've got blind loyalty going for them, and Sony is in no position to ever get that kind of following. The Vita is a kick ass handheld gaming machine, they need to focus on that, and give up this silly notion of ever competing with Apple and other small phone, and tablet devices. Focus on your strentghs, and don't worry about the rest, as that is out of your control.

Edit:I also see the 3G model being scrapped very soon, and that is the only reason why I see Sony doing these prelaunch deals. They are all only for the 3G units, as I don't think anyone would buy them otherwise. I hate these mutiple systems at launch crap. Just release one damn unit, and call it a day. Stop with all these choices. It just confuses consumers, and clutters the market for no good reason.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Apple is Apple and I don't think anyone will ever take that crown. They've got blind loyalty going for them, and Sony is in no position to ever get that kind of following.
To be fair, even Apple was blown away by their takeoff. I remember back when the first iPhone was announced, in a market dominated by BlackBerry with Symbian and WinMo in distant second and third place, an official press release said they were looking for 1% penetration, and hitting 5% would be a marvel. What are they, 30% now? And with BlackBerry doing whatever it is, there's little doubt going to be a bit more pie for everyone (who isn't RIM) by the end of 2012.

Lightning struck once entirely by accident, now marketers are trying to cargo cult that lightning into a bottle.

Nothing against Apple, i have a Ipod Nano 6 and for me as an Runner, its a nice piece of Hardware: you can controll it whitout problems if you running tho the wood, you can clip it on every place on your cloth, and it has a pedomether (nothing to do whit "pedophil") Pedo = Foot, a Thing who count your Footsteps.., whitch says hoh far and in which time you are running whit a male or femal voice..

Longe ago i hade a Ipod Nano 2 which was nice too,

The Trailers for the Vita (whit the Yelow Guy) where great, but Sony ditnt use to be like Apple i tought, they truy to be a bit better as on the release from the PSP, a bit cooler..

"pedo-mether" sounds like someone with both a child-abuse and a drugs problem :p

A pedometer might indeed be useful for runners ^_^

Back