Sony Psp2

DaveC said:
Why not just play on a home console then with a bigger screen and better sound.

Why use a Pandora instead of a computer with a decent gamepad..?

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
DaveC said:

You could I guess, no reason why not. Many of the things on the Pandora are emus and those look pretty bad blown up to 20" or so on a PC monitor though. Of course now I suppose you will say just don't blow them up and play in a small window. That could be done but for some reason emus seem better on a portable but that could just be me.

Exophase said:
DaveC said:

Ultimate Answer: because with my PC I can't play Battle for Wesnoth or OpenTTD in bed, HA! :D Cool thing is I even can't play Wesnoth with a NDS or PSP so 1:0 already for Pandora. ;)

DaveC said:
Exophase said:
DaveC said:

You could I guess, no reason why not. Many of the things on the Pandora are emus and those look pretty bad blown up to 20" or so on a PC monitor though. Of course now I suppose you will say just don't blow them up and play in a small window. That could be done but for some reason emus seem better on a portable but that could just be me.

I dunno, I remember playing an awful lot of those games on a 22" Screen back in the 80s and 90s. They looked just fine.

D.

Dunny said:
I dunno, I remember playing an awful lot of those games on a 22" Screen back in the 80s and 90s. They looked just fine.

D.
Well that is different, displaying 1:1 on a CRT looks better than the same graphics scaled up on the same size LCD.

Exophase said:
rsuryase said:
I doubt the PSP2 will outsell the 3DS since its coming out much earlier and cheaper. I think it will lose to the 3DS like the PSP to DS.

I agree, in the gaming market releasing first is an advantage if you're the market leader, and a disadvantage if you aren't. One thing I wouldn't be 100% confident of is 3DS being much cheaper. 3DS strikes me as not really being extremely aggressively priced, costing a good 67% more than the DS did at launch. PSP2 won't be cheap tech for sure, but Sony has a reputation for selling gaming hardware at big losses initially, and at least this time they're not packaging any new optical drive with their platform. The biggest price draw on the PSP2 is probably going to be that high resolution OLED screen.

I could see PSP2 selling for $300, but I guess won't be surprised if it's $350. I wouldn't expect a higher price. If they somehow sell for $250 they'll make Nintendo look pretty bad.

The biggest advantage 3DS will have are the first party titles, which sell like crazy, especially on handhelds. But there'll probably still be room for both platforms, like there was for PSP. Full Android support would change things quite a bit.

That makes no sense really. The 360 was released first and Microsoft was not the market leader but it did give them a huge edge. The reason the Dreamcast failed is because Sega gave up on it. In the first two years the PS2 was on the market it sold 10 million units, the exact same as the Dreamcast in the 2 years it was on the market, so if Sega had stuck with it rather than bailing like they did on the Saturn, they might have actually come out much better.

Releasing first might be an advantage for the 3DS, but on the other hand, having a huge number of people with DS Lites and DSis with plenty of games being released for it could turn out being like the PS3 launch.

migo said:
That makes no sense really. The 360 was released first and Microsoft was not the market leader but it did give them a huge edge. The reason the Dreamcast failed is because Sega gave up on it. In the first two years the PS2 was on the market it sold 10 million units, the exact same as the Dreamcast in the 2 years it was on the market, so if Sega had stuck with it rather than bailing like they did on the Saturn, they might have actually come out much better.

Wii did much better than XBox 360 when it was released. Dreamcast was definitely eclipsed by PS2 hype and not just damaged by Sega giving up on it. 10 million units in two years for a mainstream console is actually not impressive.

migo said:
Releasing first might be an advantage for the 3DS, but on the other hand, having a huge number of people with DS Lites and DSis with plenty of games being released for it could turn out being like the PS3 launch.

Nintendo has the benefit of not releasing a platform for $600. That certainly hurt PS3 more than PS2's continued prominence.

PSP2 actually has to resolve 43% less pixels than PS3 (Most PS3 games are rendered at 720p). And looking at the (available) specs for the psp2 it seems like PS3 quality graphics are a definite possibility. Hell, the demo video they showed of uncharted looked effing amazing.

My only wish for the psp2 would be that it was an Android phone. Do both at the same time, ala iPhone/iTouch. It's proven to be a successful model for Apple and Sony could knock the nuts out of iPhone with a badass Android gaming phone. Android just surpassed Symbian. Take the HW accelerated canvas API stuff from 3.0 and you have a usability parity with the iPhone but smoke it in features. 2011 *just* started and Android is already steam rolling the competition.

Apple will continue to be the BMW like they want to be. Android will replace MS in the situation.

God damn, if only the PSP2 was an Android phone/device. I mean, I'm still going to buy the PSP2 regardless, but how I wish it was a phone.

@davec

I would very much like console quality graphics on a 5" handheld. Since I'm a father now, my only time to game is during my commute. And while I'm going to be getting a 3DS as well, the 3D effect via the glasses-less display only works when it is perfectly lined up. Buses/trains move around WAY to much to be viewing 3D content. Mostly, I'm getting it because I want to play Ocarina of Time in 3D at some point.

Exophase said:
Wii did much better than XBox 360 when it was released.

Nintendo was last in the market before the Wii was released, Sony was the market leader, not Nintendo.

Dreamcast was definitely eclipsed by PS2 hype and not just damaged by Sega giving up on it. 10 million units in two years for a mainstream console is actually not impressive.

The PS2 only sold 10 million in 2 years, so it's not impressive either?

Nintendo has the benefit of not releasing a platform for $600. That certainly hurt PS3 more than PS2's continued prominence.

They're releasing it for $250, which for a Nintendo system is almost as bad.

Phawx said:
PSP2 actually has to resolve 43% less pixels than PS3 (Most PS3 games are rendered at 720p).

Actually, a lot of the earlier ones are rendered at quite a bit less than 720p and upscaled. Even GTAIV was upscaled to 720p.

And looking at the (available) specs for the psp2 it seems like PS3 quality graphics are a definite possibility. Hell, the demo video they showed of uncharted looked effing amazing.

I'm curious how the chip they use compares to the RSX, which aside from hardware lighting capabilities was rather underwhelming performance wise. I doubt though that the Quad core ARM would come close to the Cell in performance though

My only wish for the psp2 would be that it was an Android phone. Do both at the same time, ala iPhone/iTouch. It's proven to be a successful model for Apple and Sony could knock the nuts out of iPhone with a badass Android gaming phone. Android just surpassed Symbian. Take the HW accelerated canvas API stuff from 3.0 and you have a usability parity with the iPhone but smoke it in features. 2011 *just* started and Android is already steam rolling the competition.

It doesn't even have to be a phone, because holding it to your face with the analog sticks would suck, but definitely installing Android 3.0 (or at least leaving it as an OtherOS option) would be great for it. Probably the best move they could make, and since several Android phones have still not been rooted, they might be satisfied with the security it offers.

Apple will continue to be the BMW like they want to be. Android will replace MS in the situation.

Android has already replaced WinMo, but also shares some of its problems, so the longevity is questionable. WP7 follows Apple's model more, so might actually be more successful in the long run.

PSP2 phone = bad idea

Nokia N-gage, anyone?

PSP phone = failure

Who's gonna buy a PSP phone when PSP2 is already out. Sega 32x, anyone?

migo said:
It doesn't even have to be a phone, because holding it to your face with the analog sticks would suck, but definitely installing Android 3.0 (or at least leaving it as an OtherOS option) would be great for it. Probably the best move they could make, and since several Android phones have still not been rooted, they might be satisfied with the security it offers.

Sony did make the PSPgo. I'm sure Sony's engineers are more than bright enough to make a PSPgo styled PSP2.

Orion4874 said:
Well, here's the wiki with a chart thats describes the various PS3 models. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3
The original 20 and 60gb models were hardware based and the next 60 and 80gb models were software based. Why they got rid of the emulator idk but I read that the compatability rate was about 70% and that the 70% was less than perfect so maybe it just wasn't cost efficient to keep trying to update it anymore, who knows!
They removed the emulator when they removed the PS2's GPU. Both hardware and software emulation used the PS2's GPU.

DaMummy said:
yea because the psp go is sony greatest achievement...

The PSPgo also wasn't a phone. If Sony was selling the PSPgo at $250, it could have been subsidized through carriers. PSPgo Free or $50 with contract. I mean, come on guys, let's not be SO rigid with our imagination.

Sony has already gone on record that the PSP2 will NOT be running Android and instead will be running a custom OS. So my fantasy of the perfect device is still up in the air.

This is what I had been saying about the Pandora. It's WAY too weak, especially with Sony's new PSP coming out. Quad-core processor, Quad-core graphics, dual analog nubs and shoulder buttons along with the X, O, Triangle and Square buttons. This can be an emulation MONSTER and the extra gimmicks might make some decent homebrew games.

To those who wish this would be a phone, firstly, the phone part would rape the battery. Secondly, you don't think it would be awkward holding up the NGP to your ear with the analog sticks sticking out? I think it's just fine as being a PMP and the 3G can get you data on the go and maybe even VoIP for voice calls over WiFi or 3G.

The difference between this and the PS3 is this will have a marketplace in the Playstation Suite. If Sony is serious about apps and games a la App Store and Android Marketplace, they could make PLENTY of revenue through it. If Sony sells the NGP for $300 or even $250, that's creating a large userbase for it. And what do large userbases bring? Developer support. The more developer support, the more apps and games created. The more apps and games created, the more revenue Sony gets from the ads and their share of the app/game price. I think it would be a great move for Sony to implement the Android marketplace into the phone. That way all the emulators will have good hardware to work on. And the Xperia Play is trash compared to this.

Unfortunately Craig is stuck in a pickle right here. There aren't many people who have the Pandora yet it's been obsolete for a year now. What does he do? Does he continue supporting the very weak Pandora or create a new one and leave current Pandora owners in the dust? I'll get an NGP, though I might not get it this year. The price will surely fall and if people can hack it, there would be zero reason to have the Pandora unless the analog sticks and buttons are crap.

Though you do have to admit this is like a dream machine. It's as if someone made a list of everything he wanted in a new PSP and Sony just created it. NGP FTW!

Phawx said:
Sony has already gone on record that the PSP2 will NOT be running Android and instead will be running a custom OS. So my fantasy of the perfect device is still up in the air.

Running Android as the main OS on a high-profile gaming platform would be stupid, but there's no real saying that Sony won't offer the ability to install Android secondarily. It wouldn't necessarily have to be a dual-boot situation either, they can possibly adapt Android to launch as a self-contained program. The thing is, they could do this at any point during NGP's existence, so you can't really completely rule it out from happening.

I admit it's probably less likely that it'll happen than that it won't, but it has enough perks for Sony that it could still see it happening.

Exophase said:
Phawx said:

Running Android as the main OS on a high-profile gaming platform would be stupid, but there's no real saying that Sony won't offer the ability to install Android secondarily. It wouldn't necessarily have to be a dual-boot situation either, they can possibly adapt Android to launch as a self-contained program. The thing is, they could do this at any point during NGP's existence, so you can't really completely rule it out from happening.

I admit it's probably less likely that it'll happen than that it won't, but it has enough perks for Sony that it could still see it happening.

Couldn't they just implement the Android Marketplace on it like as an app on their custom OS? Having Android would be trash due to the fragmentation and the bugs it has but just having the marketplace wouldn't be as you'd have access to the thousands of apps it has. If Sony wants to make some money, I think it would be a good idea for Sony to have both the Android Marketplace and their own separate app store, which I presume would be the Playstation Suite.

General Tso said:
Couldn't they just implement the Android Marketplace on it like as an app on their custom OS? Having Android would be trash due to the fragmentation and the bugs it has but just having the marketplace wouldn't be as you'd have access to the thousands of apps it has. If Sony wants to make some money, I think it would be a good idea for Sony to have both the Android Marketplace and their own separate app store, which I presume would be the Playstation Suite.

Being able to run Android apps means you, in some sense, have Android. They could make a standalone implementation of Dalvik - I have no idea what would be involved in also getting ARM NDK support working on top of that - but that could end up being a lot of work to provide the functionality that Sony's OS might not map well to. Running the actual Android kernel and userspace is probably an easier way to accomplish this.

Back