Sonys VR Headset.

This could be a real competitor for the occulus rift not to mention it may push ps4 sales significantly beyond those of the xbox one.
They don't really need it since the PS4 is already selling faster than the Xbox one.

Competitor to the Rift? I don't think so.

Sony has been making shitty headsets for the past 5 years, I don't see them coming back with something super innovative or super efficient either. It's going to be a cheap/ shittier version of the Rift, that's what I am predicting.  

But wouldn't that seriously impact the marketability of the rift? Making it definitely a hardcore gamer/geek only device (especially if they are to some degree incompatible)?

But wouldn't that seriously impact the marketability of the rift? Making it definitely a hardcore gamer/geek only device (especially if they are to some degree incompatible)?
The market won't be niche anymore once people realize what a powerful PC with a rift can do at home. I'd actually say this will be a revival for the PC market, and that will push the need for powerful graphics cards further. Consoles are already completely underpowered to face what's coming on the PC side in the coming 2 years. Whoever stays on consoles to play is going to miss a whole lot in the near future. My bet is all on the PC.  

They've had their 'HMZ' range of headsets since the '90s, I have one of the first ones still! They've only recently hit 70 degree FOV with those though, and the emphasis was always on media viewing rather than 'immersion'. They didn't typically enclose your face excluding external light either - the one i have even lets you adjust the transparency of the screen so you can see through it.

I thought Sony already released an VR Headset 1-2 years ago, but nothing heared about it since then. :ph34r:
They released it and sold nothing because it was crap as hell :p

I tried several iterations of it. Looks like you play the game through a window, and the headset weight is not properly adjusted so it kills your neck after a while and the 3D effect was virtually nil. Worst headset ever.

Consoles are already completely underpowered to face what's coming on the PC side in the coming 2 years. Whoever stays on consoles to play is going to miss a whole lot in the near future. My bet is all on the PC.  
Consoles are not underpowered at all. In the matter of fact PS4 is the most future proved gaming hardware, and it is the best gaming investment.

Any 400 Euro PC configuration will be obsolete for gaming after 1 year, If you ever manage to build "gaming" rig with 400 Euro :D

(maybe with AMD Kaveri you will be able to fit)

Nothing special is coming on the PC scene. They just squeeze the market like they allays do.

Every new GPU is  ~10-12% better then the old one. 

For the CPUs the picture is similar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Consoles are not underpowered at all. In the matter of fact PS4 is the most future proved gaming hardware, and it is the best gaming investment.
Mouhahahaha. The PS4 was already obsolete in terms of 3D performance when it came out. You must be joking. Look at the AMD APU specs and compare it with a mid-range nVidia card, you'll see what I am talking about.

Note that i'm not the only one saying that, virtually every industry observer out there is saying the same thing: the PS4 and XBoxOne are just cheap hardware machines.

If that's future proof, your future is very, very near-sighted.

Every new GPU is ~10-12% better then the old one.
Yeah, and 10% every year is actually amounting to a lot more after 3-4 years.

While you GPU on PS4 will stay the same for the next 10 years. No thank you.

Any 400 Euro PC configuration will be obsolete for gaming after 1 year, If you ever manage to build "gaming" rig with 400 Euro :D
Completely false. I am still playing fine with my gaming PC built 2.5 years ago. Still everything running Full HD, medium to high details and looking much better than what you have on consoles anyway. At 60 fps or more.

Mouhahahaha. The PS4 was already obsolete in terms of 3D performance when it came out. You must be joking
You didn't understand what I was trying to say. The whole idea here is to give one time 400 Euro for the hardware and forget about it in the next 6-7 years. All the games will run flawlessly on it no mater what.

Yes there will be a differences of course, but you will get 60 fps on every game.

Look at the AMD APU specs and compare it with a mid-range nVidia card, you'll see what I am talking about.

I know exactly what AMD APU is. There is no need to enlighten me here :)

Completely false. I am still playing fine with my gaming PC built 2.5 years ago. Still everything running Full HD, medium to high details and looking much better than what you have on consoles anyway. At 60 fps or more.
To better understand what I am trying to say, try to run Diablo 3 on a 400 euro hardware from 2006, then run it on Xbox 360 and compare the the graphics. Thats future proof.  :)

EDIT: To be back on the topic, I also think that the Oculus will be superior. For sure there are several years ahead in order this hardware to be properly integrated in the games.

I wish if they try spending more time making better games instead of making better hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I suspected the Playstation VR has been given an RRP of €399.99. So about the same as the ps4.
Having read various articles my feeling was that Sony would aim for an affordable price of around 400.

It won't be as powerful as the Vive or occulus; but does it matter? At that price I can see swift adoption- even newcomers to ps4.
Current ps4 owners will lap it up no doubt too.

• PS4 + Playstation VR = €750
  • Occulus rift = €700
  • HTC Vive - €899.00
http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/gd...ull-details-of-ps4-powered-oculus-rift-rival/

Now it remains to be seen how powerful the Playstation VR is compared to its two rivals.

Sony are going to make a killing.

The main problem with all these, is sorting out the feeling of nausea that comes with playing for not too long a period.
The idea is great, as you can really get immersed into the game, but because of that immersion you'd want to play fairly long games [for me anyway], I hope they can sort that out, even with the ~120 fps, that is one thing that I think really needs sorting before I would part with the cash. I'd be looking to play for long sessions.
Still, really looking forward to some great games coming out for it

Now it remains to be seen how powerful the Playstation VR is compared to its two rivals.

Sony are going to make a killing

Highly doubt it.
Because consoles usually don't sell peripherals very well. (there's so many examples out there, check it out).
The one that worked the best may have been the Kinect so far, but while it was supposed to revolutionize gaming and shite like that, nothing really happened with it apart from stupid mini-games.

Plus, the PS4 is completely under-powered (as I said before). I used the PSVR last year at the TGS and while the hardware is very decent (better than I thought), what the PS4 was displaying was awful and there was no way you could pretend "being there" in any of the games you played, because it felt like games from 10 years ago.

On top of that, devs don't have yet a good idea of how to use VR to make games. It's easy to convert an existing game concept in VR, but it does not always make sense. There needs to be a lot of trial and error before they finally find something that clicks with it.

...On top of that, devs don't have yet a good idea of how to use VR to make games. It's easy to convert an existing game concept in VR, but it does not always make sense. There needs to be a lot of trial and error before they finally find something that clicks with it.

I think the Survival Horror genre will be a good one, and there seems to be quite a lot of those being made recently, or that I've noticed recently anyway.
I think those would be good because often you're not running around so fast, like some FPS type games, so less likely to get dizzy from playing.
Also survival horrors would be great to get fully immersed into, to really soak up the moody atmosphere.
Hopefully some good ones will come soon after launch, and done right ... but I know what you saying with the trial and error, as devs start to pick up this new style of gaming to play around with

Highly doubt it.
Because consoles usually don't sell peripherals very well. (there's so many examples out there, check it out).
The one that worked the best may have been the Kinect so far, but while it was supposed to revolutionize gaming and shite like that, nothing really happened with it apart from stupid mini-games.

Plus, the PS4 is completely under-powered (as I said before). I used the PSVR last year at the TGS and while the hardware is very decent (better than I thought), what the PS4 was displaying was awful and there was no way you could pretend "being there" in any of the games you played, because it felt like games from 10 years ago.

On top of that, devs don't have yet a good idea of how to use VR to make games. It's easy to convert an existing game concept in VR, but it does not always make sense. There needs to be a lot of trial and error before they finally find something that clicks with it.
Yeah kinect didn't do anything new in the end- there was way too much lag in the first version at least. I'm sure devs will get to grips with VR sooner or later and we'll see what they come up with.
Does the VR helmet share processing power or enhance the experience? Perhaps not- it was rumoured but I don't see any mention of it- that said VR is being very heavily hyped simultaneously by several companies which can only help sales along- kinect was I guess one of a kind at least in the mainstream.

It seems that playstation move controllers are required for some games which adds to the cost- for existing move owners though it's likely some will opt for the VR helmet.

I'm firmly in the oculus rift camp, however I truly see the price point advantage here. Also being able to play all your existing PS4 games in a virtual environment without the need of an additional television sounds fantastic. For those non-techy console people, I can see the desire to have something that just works, and works well 100% of the time.

That said for the spec whore in me, I know I wouldn't be satisfied with it. Just knowing that a significantly better experience is available with a PC+rift/vive would leave me constantly wanting. Knowing that I would have basically the best spec'd thing out there and the alternative if better is only marginal lets me sleep well at night ;)

The realist in me says that this will do extremely well. This is not like the kinect/move, DDR game pad or some other form of input. This is truely a new way of experiencing games that while great if developers support it with original made for VR content, it's not required at all to get a massive level of enjoyment out of it. I feel sometimes people don't want to jump around their living room to get their game on, and just rock out to some call of duty or something on the couch. This will allow you to do both, and experience immersion on those games in a way that previously was only possible if you had a massive television.

Last edited:
This is truely a new way of experiencing games

How many times did I ever hear that... :p
[doublepost=1458193568,1458191697][/doublepost]
and experience immersion on those games in a way that previously was only possible if you had a massive television.

I dont know. Have you tried VR by yourself ? I did, many times in recent years. I have never been blown away.
For me the closest thing to being "actually pretty good" is the head tracking part. This is a game changer for cockpit-based games and racing games for example. For the rest... meh. I'm not convinced with what I have seen for FPS games, and I have never felt the "3D" effect promised by the VR equipment. Add that to the fact that VR equipment is extremely expensive, and I'm really dubious it makes a lot of sense to buy VR headsets in 2016.

Maybe if they get really good ideas/concepts later on, why not... but the price has to come down significantly, and we need way more capable graphic cards too. This is really only the beginning, and while it's way better than what we had in the eaarly 90s, it's still nowhere near "feeling like you are in a different world" despite all the PR bullshit you hear.

I am a VR enthusiast, I was actually warning people years ago back when the rift kickstarter came through, as to not jump in too quickly because of how bad things used to be not too long ago. https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/th...picking-up-an-oculus-rift.69772/#post-1188568 If you are familiar with the emagin z800 from 2005, one of the best consumer level headsets back then, this isn't just marginally better, current gen is literally over twice as good in almost every area of measure. I tried some current gen stuff for myself and I have to say it's absolutely remarkable the difference in quality.

I feel the idea of presence (transported into another world) can be achieved in degrees with the current gen. It does require some amount of suspension of disbelief, and either way it's enjoyable. I don't feel it's going to live up to expectations that are set too high though. This gen is the first gen that does what all previous generations promised to deliver but fell way short. This generation is indeed usable, it doesn't suck. and that's why I say it. Please don't confuse my enthusiasm, I'm not suggesting some magic glasses that are 1:1 to real life, I'm just saying today it is usable, unlike previous ones, even if used only as a alternative monitor, you shouldn't feel ripped off for buying one. That's why I say it will do well.

Truely a new way of experiencing games, as in the method has been around for a while, but the actual usability alone and then when considering price, it made it not plausible before now.

now vs then interview with emagin, talks about the z800 specifically and the advances since it's reign of the market.

Last edited:
Back