Sopwith Anyone?

this should be trivial. lemme read up on how to package a pnd, refresh myself on cross-compiling & I'll give it a shot. should be a good learning experience.

Consequence_9 said:
this should be trivial. lemme read up on how to package a pnd, refresh myself on cross-compiling & I'll give it a shot. should be a good learning experience.

Would be great. I've been playing this game since I was 7 years old. Would be great to run on the Pandora.

You can already run it in dosbox, but a native Pandora app is also very nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
cbox said:
Looks like a Scramble clone.
Do tell more, I'm curious about computer history. Sopwith is not exactly a new game - and it wasn't actually produced as a commercial product. It was a demo for networking gear, of all things, and featured a simultaneous multiplayer mode in the earliest versions.

Scramble does have similar points, by the wikipedia article - the same weapons, side scrolling, collisions - but other things differ. Sopwith features an angle based control of your ship (turn up/down similar to Asteroids or Spacewar!, flip (necessary to drop bombs below you when flying left), more/less throttle), Scramble has multiple levels, refueling requires you to land in Sopwith or shoot tanks in Scramble. The opponent in Sopwith is also planes of the same type as you play.

By the way, the game got a LOT easier to play when I learned how to set US key mappings. All of a sudden the down key (slash) was actually near the other controls!

Following the link to learn about Sopwith (which looks fun) it seems there was a mid 90's remake called Triplane Turmoil which is also SDL and Linux according to the wiki. Maybe we'l end up with a whole series of these games? I always liked Scramble but this seems different and might actually be more fun? Thanks for trying this Consequence and when my Pandora arrives I will be eager to try this out!

Consequence_9 said:

Has anyone tried to compile it for the Pandora so far?

Poem58 said:
Following the link to learn about Sopwith (which looks fun) it seems there was a mid 90's remake called Triplane Turmoil which is also SDL and Linux according to the wiki. Maybe we'l end up with a whole series of these games? I always liked Scramble but this seems different and might actually be more fun? Thanks for trying this Consequence and when my Pandora arrives I will be eager to try this out!
Hi Poem58, I leave you the [post='792506']link of a post of mine from dec 2009[/post] talking about these series of games. And now I'll try to compile Triplane Classic...

I have succesfully compiled Triplane and made a pnd. All from the pandora, I love it :) The config files are stored at home because I still don't know how to store them in the appdata dir. When run if it doesn't detect a previous config file then it copies a default one with the "mutiplayer at 800x600" option disabled, because if not it crashes. I converted the pdf manual to text and it is available at the Documentation menu. It runs at 2x. You'll have to redefine the keys which works wonderfully. And the pnd doesn't have an icon yet.

Here you can download it: Triplane Classic PND until I can upload it to the apps store (probably when I have an icon).

Enjoy it!

Back