Sorted Bios Now Have A Display Problem

Steve-O

Well I sorted the BIOS problem I had and it was running Fine. Went to format it and its got problems :( ... To save me all the typing out bother again, heres a copy of what I posted on the Hardwareanalysis forum -

I have a Medion computer here with a MS-6533 motherboard. It had a BIOS problem which I sorted by re flashing the BIOS and it was working fine but needed formatted so I booted the system from my XP disc and it froze on the screen just before the Repair or install windows screen. I turned the System off and back on again but it would not display anything. I turned it off again and unplugged it and left it for 5 mins and turned it back on again and it displayed the startup screen but then the screen just went black. I turned it off and back on again and the same thing happened, no display untill I left it off again for 5 mins etc.

Its like after 5 - 10 seconds of running it just turns the display off...

Please could someone help

Thanks

Anyone know whats wrong :(

Thanks

Could it be a sort of Capacitor problem?? Capacitors build up with electric and loose it when the device is off dont they... Its like One of the Capacitors on the board are building up with electric and then shutting the display signal etc off then you have to leave the computer off for 5 mins to get it working again (like when the capacitors are discharged..). I also found out that after leaving it off all night gave me a much longer runtime (got into windows etc and ran a few programms) then it shut down...

hhmmmm

doubt its caps, unless some have burst or they are leaking,

are you using onboard graphics ? (monitor plug on the back of the motherboard) or a pci/agp card ?
if its pci/agp you need to select it in the bios for it to work (or use the motherboard one).

if the computer is randomly shutting down it could be a few things either the motherboard is screwed, ram is bad and is making errors (do you get Blue screen errors ?), the power supply could be knackered (if its a micro ATX motherboard it might have MicroATX powersupply which is probably f'd if its oldish, depending how much load is on it M-atx psu's are pretty low wattage), the hard drive might be damaged (hard to tell)

could be a heat problem as well, try turning the pc on the side and open the front.
Check if any of the heatsinks feel hot.
Depending on the bios you may also be able to check temps/voltages in there.

Its not shutting down, its just loosing the display signal and all seems cool in there. Also, Bios is set to AGP like it should be. No blue screens

Strange

I had a problem similar to this. Booting into Safe Mode allowed me to start Windows, and setting the resolution to 640x480 made the monitor work - even though the same hardware worked at 1024x768 before. I'm not sure why, but it is, I suppose, an old machine with an old graphics card.

Fixed it... I removed the memory and swapped them around and put them back in and it works now... Must have been a bad connection with the memory

Could also be faulty memory which could bite you again in the future - run something like memtest86 from a floppy or usb stick over night and see if it comes up with anything. I've spotted problems in the last 256MB before which are not immediately obvious (as the OS doesn't immediately use that area).

Squidge said:
Could also be faulty memory which could bite you again in the future - run something like memtest86 from a floppy or usb stick over night and see if it comes up with anything. I've spotted problems in the last 256MB before which are not immediately obvious (as the OS doesn't immediately use that area).
Thanks, will give him that software to try

Last edited by a moderator:
Back