Speakers on the sides.

ZetaNeta

1. The sound quality doesnt drop when you close the lid. After all, those speakers are too much high quality to waste them like that.

2. There is more space for the screen. Not sure if that is needed, but it may be.

3. There are no "ventilation"-like stuff on the front, which is both nice, and may be of big use to "skin makers" and just ones who likes to stick stuff around.

The main reason in the first reason. Some people want to put on music, close it, and put it somewhere.

From the bad, i can see that it gets less spill-proof.

The main use of the Pyra will still be gaming - and speakers making sound sideways are sending the audio in a completely wrong direction when playing, so you would sacrifice the sound quality for gaming to improve it when using it as a closed media player.

Not sure many people want that...

The main use of the Pyra will still be gaming - and speakers making sound sideways are sending the audio in a completely wrong direction when playing, so you would sacrifice the sound quality for gaming to improve it when using it as a closed media player.

Not sure many people want that...
Couldn't those speakers just be disabled while opened?

ADDITIONAL speakers?

Where would you fit them? We just barely cramped the current ones in...

1. The sound quality doesnt drop when you close the lid. After all, those speakers are too much high quality to waste them like that.

2. There is more space for the screen. Not sure if that is needed, but it may be.

3. There are no "ventilation"-like stuff on the front, which is both nice, and may be of big use to "skin makers" and just ones who likes to stick stuff around.

The main reason in the first reason. Some people want to put on music, close it, and put it somewhere.

I see why point 1 would be nice, but it's not easy to do this without making it sound worse while holding it like a handheld.

Point 2 is needed indeed to fit the larger screen (and to allow the lid to be thinner I suppose), but the plan already is to have the speakers in the base (roughly where 1 2 0 backspace are on the Pandora), not besides the screen.

I don't really understand point 3.

The N900 and Nokia 810 had speakers on the sides and especially the 810 was loud - could listen to podcast lectures easily from the next room.

Still I think i prefer front-facing.

ADDITIONAL speakers?

Where would you fit them? We just barely cramped the current ones in...
1351109781407.jpg

I see why point 1 would be nice, but it's not easy to do this without making it sound worse while holding it like a handheld.

Point 2 is needed indeed to fit the larger screen (and to allow the lid to be thinner I suppose), but the plan already is to have the speakers in the base (roughly where 1 2 0 backspace are on the Pandora), not besides the screen.

I don't really understand point 3.
Can you point with a finger/arrow? I am cant find where.

Also, the sort of people who would want a portable device that they can set up as a portable sound system are the sort of antisocial cretins who play music too loud on the train that we shouldn't want in this community ;) And people who genuinely need a portable soundsystem are already better supported by a standalone portable expanding reflex speaker, like those X-Mini speakers, that they could be by side-speakers.

The N900 and Nokia 810 had speakers on the sides and especially the 810 was loud - could listen to podcast lectures easily from the next room.

Loudness shouldn't be an issue...

I often play in bed in the morning while my girlfriend is still sleeping...

I'm not sure if she's happy if I send most of the audio directly into her ears ;)

You're misunderstanding. If you have speakers on the side, they are sending the sound straight into your hands when you are gaming.

-God Ginrai

You're misunderstanding. If you have speakers on the side, they are sending the sound straight into your hands when you are gaming.

-God Ginrai
You are holding the lid while playing? What perverted games are you playing i dare to ask?

Oh, you're talking about the side of the lid and not the main body.

The lid is going to be thinner than the one on the Pandora and has also less real-estate as the LCD is larger. I don't think that you can fit a decent speaker in there at all, no matter if front-facing or side-facing. 

You are holding the lid while playing? What perverted games are you playing i dare to ask?
No, the speakers are in the base. And there is no room in the lid for the speakers. Also, if you have the speakers facing sideways from the lid, then they still face the problem of not directing the sound towards you.

-God Ginrai

kinda just tossing this out there, but there are many bluetooth-speaker sets.  Many that are very portable and very loud.  The current pandora has bluetooth, and the new pyra may have it too..if it does, then you probably could make the bluetooth speakers work?

Then...you get better sound for music (which  using the built in speakers will not be very good).

Not everyone wants to carry external speakers around - although there are some advantages of doing so.

Back