Squeezing A Little Bit Extra Out Of Old Games

frolik

Bass Invader
Website
Visit site
I recently rediscovered the old gem Stunt Car Racer that I used to play heaps on my C64, but it's sooo goddamn slow nowadays! So I've adapted the game to bring it up to date, you might want to try this in GP FRODO for your own amusement:

- Increase to frameskip 2
- Turn off speed limiter

Now play the game, or just practice on any track and it's bloody amazing! Just try to stay on the track without falling off and without destroying your car - it's even more playable than Wipeout on the psx.... :D

There must be tons of old games that can be sped up on most emulators like this to add a new dimension to them, especially the 3D ones, has anyone else found any gems like this?

If you have trouble finding a working Stunt Car Racer, let me know

hmmm... yeah.. actually the point I was trying to make was that it runs around 250% of it's original speed and makes a different gameplay experience. Castaway doesn't run as smoothly as Frodo..

one thing I *have* noticed which is cool... if you play super mario bros 3 on a PC emulator and turn the speed up to %120, the handling is just like it is on supermarioworld... I prefer it like that....

frolik posted on Mar 4 2005 at 01:09 PM said:
I recently rediscovered the old gem Stunt Car Racer that I used to play heaps on my C64, but it's sooo goddamn slow nowadays! So I've adapted the game to bring it up to date, you might want to try this in GP FRODO for your own amusement:

- Increase to frameskip 2
- Turn off speed limiter

Now play the game, or just practice on any track and it's bloody amazing! Just try to stay on the track without falling off and without destroying your car - it's even more playable than Wipeout on the psx.... :D

There must be tons of old games that can be sped up on most emulators like this to add a new dimension to them, especially the 3D ones, has anyone else found any gems like this?

If you have trouble finding a working Stunt Car Racer, let me know

I did the same thing with the C64 version of Chase HQ with the CCS64 emu on the PC, I turned the emu up to 250% speed and that horrible little jerky game suddenly became quite playable.

And try doing it with both Driller and The Sentinel (don't know if they will work on the GP32 or not though), that will help the speed on those Freescape games immensely. C64 users back in the day found these games playable as they were.... speeding them up now will help even more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back