Start Up Scripts?

DBH

Website
nicholas.piresonline.com
Hi I was wondering how do you setup a configuration script to tweak system settings for the GP2X on boot up. I want to limit the volume of the device on boot up because on default its at max volume and I get alot of static white noise when using the headphones (even with volume limiter on)

Thanks.

DBH posted on Jul 17 2006 at 02:59 PM said:
Hi I was wondering how do you setup a configuration script to tweak system settings for the GP2X on boot up. I want to limit the volume of the device on boot up because on default its at max volume and I get alot of static white noise when using the headphones (even with volume limiter on)

Thanks.

I haven't tested it (only had my GP2X for a few weeks and have been more interested in playing than hacking), but you could put your script in /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/

I'm just assuming that the GP2X runs in runlevel 5---the standard multiuser graphical login.

Of course, you'll probably need a simple script to copy your script to that location as you don't have access to it directly.

Alternatively, you might try to add your script to /etc/rc.d/rc.local

Worth a shot, what's the worst that could happen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thx for the advice. The other thing is when I plug the device into my PC via USB port and power it up and go into USB setting in the GP2X and connect by trying to mount either the NAND or SD card it doesnt recognise the device?? have I done something wrong? I got a SD card reader so putting stuff on isnt a prob but I want to tinker around and have a look at the folder structure on the device.

DBH posted on Jul 17 2006 at 11:58 PM said:
Ok thx for the advice. The other thing is when I plug the device into my PC via USB port and power it up and go into USB setting in the GP2X and connect by trying to mount either the NAND or SD card it doesnt recognise the device?? have I done something wrong? I got a SD card reader so putting stuff on isnt a prob but I want to tinker around and have a look at the folder structure on the device.

Well, that depends---what operating system to you have?

I don't know much about Windows but if you have linux, you might plug in the GP2X, goto the usb menu, pick sd, and then on your linux box do a

fdisk -l

this will list all mounted and unmounted storage devices hooked up. You should see the GP2X---maybe at /dev/sda1/

If it is there, just do a

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/GP2X

Card reader is a better option anyway---the usb eats lots of battery and you can't see any of the file structure anyway---except what you could with a card readed. I guess the usb option would let you copy stuff to the nand (without a script), but there really isn't much space there anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
you can have a autorun.gpu (or gpe not shure) and it will execute it. you might need to turn this on in settings though

yes .. the best way to have things run automatically when you start up your GP2X is to use the autorun.gpu/.gpe method .. put the script on your SD card, name it autorun.gpu/.gpe (i think both work) and it will run for you whenever you turn on your GP2X ..

..and that way, if you screw it up, just delete it from the SD - much much safer.
I would really recomment you don't put scripts in rc directories unless you know the script works first.
You'd probably have to reflash firmware, or at the very least hack through the menus to delete the offending script.

Kev

Thanks guys! mucho appreciated for the advice. Now how the heck to do the parameter commands to change the volume because going into music playing a tune and knocking the volume down a bit will become tedious lol.

i'm using gph firmware v2 and renaming lgpt.gpe to autorun.gpu and having that sukka at the root of my SD card made the application launch on startup ... too rad, thanks to torpor :wub:

Back