Steve Jobs, co-founder of Apple, has passed away at 56

Very true. There is nothing more worthy of life itself.

I realized that as well when my best friend and colleague (with whom I own my other company) had to struggle 4 years with cancer.

Nobody thought he'd survive - but he did. It's times like those you realize how precious life is.

Knowing this, I can continue to struggle as hard as possible to keep the Pandora going. Whatever happens, I am healthy, which is way more worth than anything else.

I never liked any iDevices and more often than not his speeches agitated me (mostly in the last few years) but still, I hope he rests in peace. Time to forget all the "bad" things and remember the good he did and that after all he was just another human being. R.I.P Steve.

So He-Man has finally vanquished him (he always reminded me of Skeletor). :)

SkeletorShow.png

My dad had one of the first Apple computers made, and that was some of my earliest memories of playing games off cassette tape drives(seems like a lifetime ago). A few years later, my dad bought me and my sister an Apple II+ for school work, but I only ever played games on it. :lol:

I was very young back then, and had no idea who made the Apple, and it wasn't until Jobs came back to Apple after being ousted, that I finally knew about him and his partner. All I ever knew early on was that Apple was created out of a garage.

My mom just bought an iPad 2 this year, and it was her first introduction to the internet and modern technology. So it is for these reason I can say, it really doesn't matter what he does with his money, or how his devices work in the current market place. I was introduced to his products 30+ years ago, and grew away from the vivsion, but in the same time my mom has just walked thru the door and his vision has made that possible for her.

My son who is almost 6 years old, loves many Pixar films, and one day I'm sure he will get his first steps into the digital age by some form of Apple product. So for all this, I say a BIG THANK YOU!

You don't have to agree, like, or love someone to have respect for them, and I think no matter what most of the members of these forums thinks about his business ideals, I think we can all agree he changed the world for the better over his 56 years, and that aint all bad.

RIP Steve Jobs!

Chris

@Lurkio :eek: thats bad taste me thinks, on a side note I love the old he-man cartoon.
So is producing your devices through labor practices that cause people to suicide...don't you think? ;) *sarcastic tone*

RIP you greedy megalomaniac. I'll certainly miss your flashy presentations. He really was the P. T. Barnum of the tech industry.

Last edited by a moderator:
wtf you on about? I think the majority of blame goes to the company in china for their policies etc

its not just apple the use cheap chinease companies who make there staff work for next to nothin you know, so that argument just doesnt wash, just because it was publicised doesnt make it worse than any other big company that uses cheap foreign labour anyway most of the blame for that goes to foxconn.

wtf you on about? I think the majority of blame goes to the company in china for their policies etc

its not just apple the use cheap chinease companies who make there staff work for next to nothin you know, so that argument just doesnt wash, just because it was publicised doesnt make it worse than any other big company that uses cheap foreign labour anyway most of the blame for that goes to foxconn.
Agreed...it's all companies...and me...and you...but Apple was one of the few companies that didn't move away from Foxconn when all that was being discovered...which in my opinion is in poor taste. That was my only point...if you feel them still going with Foxconn is fine I didn't mean to offend you. My apologies sir.

Also my statement itself was supposed to have a bit of a sarcastic tone which really doesn't translate well in text. I edited my post above...sorry again for the irritation.

Agreed...it's all companies...but Apple was one of the few that didn't move away from Foxconn when all that was being discovered...which in my opinion is in poor taste. That was my only point...if you feel them still going with Foxconn is fine I didn't mean to offend you.

Apple did however provide the employees of Foxconn extra cash to compensate the poor pay they got from Foxconn.

Agreed...it's all companies...but Apple was one of the few that didn't move away from Foxconn when all that was being discovered...which in my opinion is in poor taste. That was my only point...if you feel them still going with Foxconn is fine I didn't mean to offend you.

Apple did however provide the employees of Foxconn extra cash to compensate the poor pay they got from Foxconn.
Is that how Foxconn could afford all those suicide nets they put up around the perimeter of their factories? (Again...sarcastic tone)

Honestly, my main gripe with Apple and Jobs has been this...

http://www.rositacor...-case-of-apple/

I don't really like wealth that doesn't give back...I'm huge into philanthropy and I'm broke most of the time...why Apple isn't is kind of sickening. Seems like there could be a lesson about greed in all this...somewhere...possibly. (more sarcasm)

I can recommend the Movie "Pirates Of Silicon Valley", where the Story of the early Years of Steve Jobs, Bill Gates & Co. are told. Some very enlightening moments about these guys. :D

For everything he achieved he would have swapped places with any one of us in an instant to be well again, health and happiness is far more important than money and fame.

I am a fan of how easy Apple devices are to use, my Gran can use an iPhone, but I was not a fan of the man himself. Using Chinese slave labour and being obsessed with money isn't my bag.

Bill Gates might be a bastard too, but he genuinely seems to want to do some good with his riches.

Oh well, I'm off to watch the Diana like madness sweep the internets for the next few days, no doubt with clueless news readers thinking he invented the phone, apps and computers.
I wouldn't say he was obsessed with money. I think he later business practices and the closing of his systems is more due being prudent. After all, remember what Bill gates with his company Microsoft put him through? They stole windows from him, became a powerhouse company and almost ran him to the ground and Apple computers along with it. Microsoft business take off and Apple's downturn was probably one of the major reasons the board of directors fired him from his own company, thinking they were gonna find someone to do better. If it was obsessed with money he wouldn't have invested in Pixar when no one else did. Steve Jobs was actually more like any of us who's sole purpose was to put out innovative products instead these other companies who waits a product to be made public and kirf the hell out of it under their own brand names. That's why he became the way he was, continued being innovative while at the same time learned from past experience how to keep big kirf companies from taking him down with his own products and ideas. In his shoes you would do the same.

For everything he achieved he would have swapped places with any one of us in an instant to be well again, health and happiness is far more important than money and fame.

I am a fan of how easy Apple devices are to use, my Gran can use an iPhone, but I was not a fan of the man himself. Using Chinese slave labour and being obsessed with money isn't my bag.

Bill Gates might be a bastard too, but he genuinely seems to want to do some good with his riches.

Oh well, I'm off to watch the Diana like madness sweep the internets for the next few days, no doubt with clueless news readers thinking he invented the phone, apps and computers.
I wouldn't say he was obsessed with money. I think he later business practices and the closing of his systems is more due being prudent. After all, remember what Bill gates with his company Microsoft put him through? They stole windows from him, became a powerhouse company and almost ran him to the ground and Apple computers along with it. Microsoft business take off and Apple's downturn was probably one of the major reasons the board of directors fired him from his own company, thinking they were gonna find someone to do better. If it was obsessed with money he wouldn't have invested in Pixar when no one else did. Steve Jobs was actually more like any of us who's sole purpose was to put out innovative products instead these other companies who waits a product to be made public and kirf the hell out of it under their own brand names. That's why he became the way he was, continued being innovative while at the same time learned from past experience how to keep big kirf companies from taking him down with his own products and ideas. In his shoes you would do the same.

Microsoft stole windows from Steve Jobs? What on earth are you talking about. If anything Apple stole 'windows' from Xerox (and others).

Microsoft stole windows from Steve Jobs? What on earth are you talking about. If anything Apple stole 'windows' from Xerox (and others).

And it led to one of the most hilarious IT moment, when Apple wanted to sue microsoft.

Xerox came out and say : if you really want to sue, then i'm in and i will kick you both.

And Apple gently canceled the idea.

True story.

After all, remember what Bill gates with his company Microsoft put him through? They stole windows from him, became a powerhouse company and almost ran him to the ground and Apple computers along with it.
Another victim of Apple marketing nonsense...

Apple computers was maintained by the Apple II line, not the Macintosh line, for pretty much the Apple IIs entire run.  The Apple II competed with Commodore Business Machines to provide businesses, basically, with the ability to run VisiCalc, and later programs, and thus generate limited reports without bothering the big machine database guys.  The original Mac OS was literally stolen from Xerox Alto via Steve Jobs bribing Xerox with Apple stock to gain access to their facility and ordering copies of their OS for his entire development team for a hardcore Reverse Engineering effort.  Apple's grand-theft-OS was a dysfunctional piece of junk out of the door, just like OS X was that they would get under control later.

Apple's direct competitors, aka 68k home computer systems, Commodore-Amiga released their own platform with GUI OSes and a full software suite around the same time

https://www.youtube.com/embed/V-SJQdREDKM?feature=oembed in 1985 and thus it was useful for more then a conversational piece.  Amiga was actually a revolutionary piece of kit, unlike the Macintosh and tended to be considered better with no indication that they didn't develop their OSes entirely in house, unlike Apple.  The problem with Commodore-Amiga and Atari is that the now former Commodore CEO took the reigns of Atari, and basically was determined to drive his former company into the ground destroying all of the old names but Apple in the process.  Apple survived due to it's traditional lack of interest in being price competitive and protective contracts with schools, and can only claim to have ever competed with Microsoft based on everyone else having eventually left the field.

A few years earlier Microsoft, the owners of BASIC, joined with IBM to help provide support with their intent to move into the PC market.  People that were sceptical of the numerous home computer companies saw IBM as being more dependable for them to invest with.  IBM took it one step further and did the unprecedented thing of literally opening the hardware and giving the specs in the manual with their initial line up, while all of their competitors were purely proprietary systems.  This in turn led to viral PC market we have today.

Bill Gates ended up suggesting QDOS to IBM after CP/M turned them down, but his company would not be involved in OS development until IBM decided to make HDD instead of floppy based OS.  The media had a circus day claiming QDOS was pirated off CP/M, and there were pirated versions of CP/M, but QDOS was not one of them.  As Microsoft broke away from IBM things moved to Microsoft verse IBM's OS/2 around 1987.  Microsoft decided around this point to license from Apple for Windows 1.0, which was basically a two column file explorer people familiar with running DOS have seen in one flavor or another.  When Microsoft hit Windows 3.0 in 1990 they moved to a basic 1980s style GUI, and Apple as always decided patent trolling is better then trying to compete, so launched this utterly dunderheaded lawsuit over having a similar "look & feel", aka icons and windows you can put icons in, just like they're now doing to Samsung, which got thrown out on its ear.  At no time was there any claim of code being stolen and that wouldn't even make that much sense as Apple was running Motorola 68k processors in their Macintosh line from day 1 to that point while Windows was for x86 and built around MSDOS.  Note the 80486 came out in 1989 and combined with other improvements driven by the IBM's decision to go with open hardware everyone else had already started to fall behind purely based on hardware and DOS being very lightweight.  Of course the classic Microsoft rule of initial products being less then wonderful applied and Windows 3.1 didn't show up until 1992.  Incidentally Linus Torvald's released the initial Linux kernel in 1991, and the X Server is actually rather old.

Then 1995 rolled around and as far as I can tell Microsoft has sole credit for the then novel concept of having a task bar you could minimize applications to and maximize applications from instead of dragging windows and other more limited approaches.

Apple, unlike Microsoft, has never been good at competing in the purist terms, but they have always been very good at marketing and being able to sell computers to the computer illiterate while spinning it so they can pretend they're elite, much to the annoyance of everyone else that has to suffer said people.  The reality is that while Apple might be at war with Microsoft, Microsoft has never been at war with Apple.  To take advantage of its strengths Apple has needed to jump around with products, although none of them could be called innovative rather then market deformation due to a company with some clout and the willingness to bully forcing their way in while playing their classic marketing games because they can only keep that marketing magic viable so long.

Apple is one of the biggest Intellectual Property criminals in the industry, being well known for buying out companies for gimmicks they can lock down IP on and frivolous patent trolling and hence in many respects represents one of the biggest _obstacles_ to actual innovation in the industry.

Steve Jobs was not a good man, but he did get things done.  Given he was dealing with cancer I hope he didn't suffer that much, but I can't honestly say I have much respect for the man or his company.

Back