Strange Stain On Mk1 Lcd

virusx

Virus Infected Person
Website
www.budburnerz.com
Me again... :D

I noticed recently some strange lighter stain on the middle of my Mk1 screen.
Does anybody knows if it can be fixed?

I will post a picture as soon as I get in front of my laptop.

how old is you gp2x? This sounds like the common problem that was present in the first edition units - but haven't heard of it since!

I managed to look at it few minutes ago...
Firstly I saw it only in the first dark splash gp2x boot screen.
I tried to see it again on others screens, ingame etc...
But I couldn't!
So I booted the 2X again and saw it again.
The splash screen is making this? No way!
Then I launched the test utility from the normal firmware (I use Gmenu2X) and I saw it on the test black screen (not really on the lighter ones).
I had to be in a dark room to see it btw.
Just to test Vimacs idea, I pressed on the screen and I saw the stain moves.
So I think that Vimacs idea is the good one. I will try to unscrew the beast to see if it fix the problem.

Ps: My gp2x is the first Mk1 gp2x

yeah mine has a strip going all the way around it, with a curved part in the top center....i guess i should just open it up and take a look but i had assumed there wasn't a fix, and it doesn't bother me that much.

actually i probably did it myself the last time i opened it, by closing it too tight :D

rokdcasbah said:
yeah mine has a strip going all the way around it, with a curved part in the top center....i guess i should just open it up and take a look but i had assumed there wasn't a fix, and it doesn't bother me that much.

actually i probably did it myself the last time i opened it, by closing it too tight :D
Wow... That's exactly the same "strip going all the way around it, with a curved part in the top center".
I really see it when the creen is dark and on a dark place.
I will try to unscrew the beast tonight and let you know if it changed something.

Last edited by a moderator:
virusx said:
rokdcasbah said:

Wow... That's exactly the same "strip going all the way around it, with a curved part in the top center".
I will try to unscrew the beast tonight and let you know if it changed something.

Hmm, mine has the same thing. Anyone else with a MK1 FE? I wonder if it's connected to the "stick on yourself" screen protector we had to install.

I don't think so because i don't saw that at the begining.
But it's a so small difference that I could have missed this too.
I will do some test tonight and let you know the results.

pkostrze said:
virusx said:
rokdcasbah said:

Hmm, mine has the same thing. Anyone else with a MK1 FE? I wonder if it's connected to the "stick on yourself" screen protector we had to install.

Mine is exactly the same, its a mk1 first edition, its never really bothered me much though, I can only really see it when it boots up :rolleyes:

I don't think this is the stick pressure problem, its something different. Besides which I have a d-pad now and the screen is the same as it was when I bought it in 2005.

dosteridge said:
pkostrze said:
virusx said:
rokdcasbah said:

Mine is exactly the same, its a mk1 first edition, its never really bothered me much though, I can only really see it when it boots up :rolleyes:

I don't think this is the stick pressure problem, its something different. Besides which I have a d-pad now and the screen is the same as it was when I bought it in 2005.

I got this too. On a MK1 second edition. Didn't really notice it in the beginning but lately it's become really visible and somewhat annoying. It's like a square around the screen with the top part curving down in the center. Would be great if it was fixable.

i have the "strip going all the way around it, with a curved part in the top center" too i thought i had a bad unit :D

I also have the "strip going all the way around it, with a curved part in the top center" on my MK1 screen that I got today :) I don't bother though.

Eolair said:
...Would be great if it was fixable.
Vimacs said:
probably some pressure on the tft, try losing the screws a bit.
mrsnature said:
As I said, this is a common fault with FE units, sent mine back for a different reason, and got back a later MK1 without the problem.

see here:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=22438&hl=
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=22908&hl=

I'll try the first and easy way from Vimacs then, try to see what it could be from the two previous posts.
It really looks like a pressure on the TFT.

So...
I tested the 'losing the screws' method but that didn't changed anything.
I'll try to see if I can find why this is happening.
It's not really visible in fact :)

virusx said:
So...
I tested the 'losing the screws' method but that didn't changed anything.
I'll try to see if I can find why this is happening.
It's not really visible in fact :)
The stain/darker borders are "built-in" to the screen. I tried loosening it totally from other parts and they're still there. So don't bother opening your GP2X :p

Back