Successful Multiplayer (Over Network) Anything?

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
I'm a week or two out of date with minimal free time right now, but I lost track of what options we have for MP over the network right now?

(once I get some free time, I will have to look into Nettrek, which is really crazy goofy fun (16 player pvp looking like asteroids) :)

- freeciv - should work okay; I don't think we have a working sdl-freeciv build (try angstroms?), but the windowed freeciv should be fine -- just some screens you'll need to lean on the shift/alt to move the over-big windows around; still, net play should work fine (even against non-pandora folks, since turn based would remove any handicaps.)

- Battle for Wesnoth -- I seem to recall this has MP, but never tried it.

- Quakes - I've not had time to attempt any of them for MP; I forget if we built Q3 to have networking support in there (I've not muddled with ioq3 much, since it has some transparency issues; I've only used Q3 proper), but it seemed my q3 could never detect existing servers, nor allow me to enter IPs so I couldn't connect to a server if I wanted to.
- didn't try Q1/Q3 deathmatches

What other Mp-netplay options do we have? Anyone had any network games go? How'd it work out?

Lastly -- any netplay games you'd love to see ported (ie: existing Linux netplay games.)

(Aside, yes, I'm working on BattleJewels multiplayer, but cut me some slack :)

jeff

I tried Wesnoth multiplayer for 5 minutes, and it worked, although screen resolution wasn't the best. :)

I tried also Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup on console, after changing font size of terminal in order to be able to have the minimum cols/rows needed:
Code:
$ ssh -2C -c blowfish joshua@crawl.akrasiac.org
(password joshua)

Played some Q2 multiplayer on a public server. After some minutes my Q2 client starting to stutter/lag and also I had to try many servers until I found one which doesn't need additional files/mods on the client.
This server seems to work : 79.136.84.237:27920

Also, someone might wanna give using the DC Q3 map pack a look for Q3 multiplayer, might be a bit friendlier on our limited resources ;)

My port of OpenTTD works with multiplayer, you can join any PC server running the latest stable build.

Claude said:
Played some Q2 multiplayer on a public server. After some minutes my Q2 client starting to stutter/lag and also I had to try many servers until I found one which doesn't need additional files/mods on the client.

And why exactly can't we download the additional files?

Also, why does it lag so much? (questions for everyone btw, online gaming was a huge selling point for me)

@joseluizjazz: How badly does the screen size affect gameplay? How's ingame chatting? Any possibility you could make a video?

If the quake games never going to work online as expected, i'm going to rage hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wolfsclaw said:
@joseluizjazz: How badly does the screen size affect gameplay? How's ingame chatting? Any possibility you could make a video?

Not until I receive my pandora back, probably in a week, currently in its way to be have the screen cable repaired. On Wesnoth I only tried to install some add-ons, enter multiplayer, and watch 1 minute of a game, but I didn't play. So if nobody does it before, I'll make a video showing a game being played, although it will must be taken from my phone. :)

Wolfsclaw said:
Claude said:

And why exactly can't we download the additional files?

Also, why does it lag so much? (questions for everyone btw, online gaming was a huge selling point for me)

If the quake games never going to work online as expected, i'm going to rage hard.

Simply I'm too lazy to search for the proper files/mods :)

The lag could also be from the server or from my wifi connection !? I will try the same server with an USB Ethernet adapter.

Back