Suggestion: Put Search On The Front Page For The Forums

starpause

Website
mp3death.us
everyone hates when a n00b doesn't search ... so why not make the option glaringly obvious?

the ubuntu forums do a nice job of this with a bold search box right there at the top.

i think this forum could benefit from something similar :) ... maybe even a gp32x.de could have a "search the forums" box!

thanks for listening, looking forward to less shouting "JUST SEARCH" @ b00bs :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
"No sir, I don't hate it."

That's a great idea actually ... I'd vote for it :)

This is the best idea since underwear... or computers... which ever came first

Just change the search bar on the left side of the front page to search the forums rather than just the news. And then add an "Advanced search..." hyperlink underneath that goes to the "full" search page.

lol2232 posted on Aug 16 2006 at 03:48 AM said:
This is the best idea since underwear... or computers... which ever came first
12 bucks computers came first... At least this morning, they did.

It's deadeasy to implement too (is that a word, deadeasy?), just one template file to alter. Definitely go for it!

- Alex

Yes, I agree with this search box idea. And it should be surrounded by pics of boobs and twat, that way people will easily find it... erm... they may get distracted however...

I heartily endorse/support this service/event/product.

reaper79 posted on Aug 16 2006 at 09:47 AM said:
Yes, I agree with this search box idea. And it should be surrounded by pics of boobs and twat, that way people will easily find it... erm... they may get distracted however...
lol so true.

Anyway, this is a fantastic idea, no doubt, but I still think people are gonna be too lazy to bother searching....it's easier to ask a question and have it answered than to skim through results. Guaranteed people do the same thing they're doing now if this is implemented :(

Well, my wife joined a forum for artists/illustrators. She never ONCE posted in a topic or created a new one because everything she needed to know was in stickied topics, or was answered through a forum search.

We have now over 10,000 registered users ... many of whom we never see or hear from ... because maybe they did indeed master the art of searching.

</food for thought>

TelcoLou posted on Aug 16 2006 at 07:37 PM said:
Well, my wife joined a forum for artists/illustrators. She never ONCE posted in a topic or created a new one because everything she needed to know was in stickied topics, or was answered through a forum search.
Yes but the unfortunate reality of the situation that you'll have to realise is that your wife is most likely not a complete dumbass. Lots of the new users that come around here are. We should utilise a PM for every new user, or at least make the search a big huge thing on the front page surrounded by boobs and twats.

iignotus posted on Aug 16 2006 at 07:55 PM said:
TelcoLou posted on Aug 16 2006 at 07:37 PM said:
Yes but the unfortunate reality of the situation that you'll have to realise is that your wife is most likely not a complete dumbass. Lots of the new users that come around here are. We should utilise a PM for every new user, or at least make the search a big huge thing on the front page surrounded by boobs and twats.

Why does this device attract such clueless folk? I mean the term 'linux-based' should be enough to scare away the timid ... and after doing a bit of research, learning how involved it is to get something up and running (not hard, but requires some patience and common sense ... )

Never mind .. I answered my own queries ... there is no such thing as common sense ... UNcommon sense is more accurate. :(

iignotus posted on Aug 17 2006 at 12:55 AM said:
Actually, having a PM sent to new members is a really good idea, it could contain links to the most useful pages plus a link to search!

WarmFluffyUK posted on Aug 17 2006 at 05:30 PM said:
iignotus posted on Aug 17 2006 at 12:55 AM said:
Actually, having a PM sent to new members is a really good idea, it could contain links to the most useful pages plus a link to search!
Yes I still like that idea best as well.

Back