Suggestions for Moderators

Status
Not open for further replies.

.Gogeta§§J4BR.

that brazilian guy =`]
Website
robertocr.com
some admins thing a forum is a question-answer interaction, while it's certainly not :|
please do NOT close the topic because of 1 or 2 off-topic replies, or because the core of the question has been answered. further discussions may apply, and creating another topic just to continue it is just stupid <_<

Changed topic title - javaJake (10/19/08)

Re: suggestion for this board: not locking every f**king topic

I'm certainly not gonna flame myself, as much as you'd like me to. Who does it, knows it.
this is also a general suggestion, please read my arguments above.

roberto.cr said:
I'm certainly not gonna flame myself, as much as you'd like me to. Who does it, knows it.
.... what?

I do lock a lot of topics and thus I asked for examples of what you consider unnecessary locks, because I will re-evaulate them.

PoisonedV said:
roberto.cr said:
.... what?
I said I wasn't gonna point at any moderator and say "he is the one". Mainly because this is not done by only one moderator here, it's a general behaviour, and I really think many discussion get locked for wrong reasons ("question answered, topic closed", or "I think the question was answered, topic locked", or "uh oh, 2 off-topic replies? locked!" or "blablabla I have the final word, lock!").

but no, fischju, it wasn't you who pissed me off

We're not going to power abuse on you. How do you expect anyone to change their behaviour if you're not honest enough to criticize them directly?

zarneth said:
I think this topic should be locked because of it's utter pointlessness. :huh:
are you an admin now too? :lol:

Kyosys said:
We're not going to power abuse on you. How do you expect anyone to change their behaviour if you're not honest enough to criticize them directly?
I expect people to change their behaviour because I've said what the problem is (why it is a problem and what should be done to solve it), I don't need to say who I'm talking about. It's also not a matter of "honesty", I'm not being unfair when I don't directly attack anyone.
This wasn't supposed to be a huge topic, I just wanted to point out that you moderators need to know what a discussion forum is about, because locking as many topics as you are is not exactly a smart decision. No aggression intended, just my honest opinion.

I think us mods here do a very good job. If you have real issues with the way this place is modded, please can you back it up with examples of such when a mod asks you to do so.

Can I ask you again if you will provide us with examples of unnecessarily locked threads? One suggestion though, you could always PM the mod who locked a thread and discus it with them, it's usually a good starting point!

If you can't back up your thread "suggestion for this board: not locking every f**king topic" then this thread will be locked. Sorry but the title of this thread is very direct and really implies something bad.

WarmFluffyUK said:
If you can't back up your thread "suggestion for this board: not locking every f**king topic" then this thread will be locked. Sorry but the title of this thread is very direct and really implies something bad.
AHAHAHA OH GOD LOLING HARDER THAN EVER BEFORE

i will freely say it. one of the main perpetrators is javajake. of course, i only know that because the other half of the locked or moved or merged threads dont have anyone saying anything about it.
also:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=454&start=10
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=441&start=30
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=400
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3&start=170
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=539
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=462&start=10
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=315&start=10 (i love how the thread they link to for us to continue our discussion was later closed by the same person)
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=521
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=334&start=10
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=334&start=10
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=413
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=414&start=20
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=520&start=20
not to mention all the ones that have been pointlessly moved or anything else.
funny that about half the time its the mods going off topic.

A lot of these weren't closed just for the heck of it, though.

Many of them were closed because there is another thread about it, and it doesn't make sense to have two.

Kyosys said:
A lot of these weren't closed just for the heck of it, though.

Many of them were closed because there is another thread about it, and it doesn't make sense two have two.
like i said on msn, but for anyone else reading, most of the time the other threads werent very close at all to the closed topic

None of those threads appeared to have been closed "for the heck of it". All of them were either wildly off topic, degenerating into absurdity, or were clones of identical threads. Closing dead-end, duplicate and off-topic threads is exactly what moderators are supposed to do. That's why it's called a moderated forum.

The point of these forums is to engage in meaningful discussion about the Pandora and Wiz. It is not a game to see who can make the most useless one-line responses. If you really feel cheated out of something because you are not allowed to ramble on endlessly, then you are missing the point. The moderators are not the problem here. You are.

Chip said:
The point of these forums is to engage in meaningful discussion about the Pandora and Wiz.
Really? I didn't know, cause I've only seen that in 2 or 3 topics. (and, isn't it funny, all of those had off topic sections at some point)

great research, PoisonedV :)

Chip said:
If you really feel cheated out of something because you are not allowed to ramble on endlessly, then you are missing the point. The moderators are not the problem here. You are.
discussion over a topic != "to ramble on endlessly"
actually, the problem here is you trying to attack me just because you think you can. -_-
my points are pretty much valid, and many people have noticed the big ammount of topics locked for nothing.

roberto.cr said:
great research, PoisonedV :)
Most of those topics listed weren't particularly good examples to support your original case. Most of them appear to have been closed for legitimate reasons. Some of the duplicate topics could arguably have been merged, but threads which only accumulate off-topic responses after the original subject has been dealt with, do quite rightfully get locked.

roberto.cr said:
discussion over a topic != "to ramble on endlessly"
Unfortunately the difference between those is rather subjective. If you really want to influence the moderation of these boards please, as has been suggested, provide a few examples of your own. No-one is going to (or at least shouldn't) get angry at you, provided it's valid, constructive criticism.

SteveM said:
Most of those topics listed weren't particularly good examples to support your original case. Most of them appear to have been closed for legitimate reasons. Some of the duplicate topics could arguably have been merged, but threads which only accumulate off-topic responses after the original subject has been dealt with, do quite rightfully get locked..
Unfortunately the difference between those is rather subjective.

Mod comment when my Jacquelyn tribute thread was locked:

"Your thanks is noted."

:lol: Gee, thanks. Admittedly, that thread did not go to plan.

PoisonedV said:
Unfortunately the difference between those is rather subjective.
Looks like you understand the dilemma - couldn't have said it better myself ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back