Sun Releases Java Under The Gpl

Judland

Still Fresh
Website
judland.blog.ca
So, I was wondering if this news about Sun releasing Java under the GPL would have any benefit to the GP2X community. Is it something the developers of GP2X technology can take advantage of, now that Java is free software?

Any thoughts?

Well, they've open sourced Java Platform Micro Edition (Java ME) along with the other versions. If this gets ported to the GP2x, numerous mobile phone games could be played on it.

Not too sure about what restrictions they have put on it?
The last I heard was that they were releasing it with a new license that would allow Linux distributions to be released with it included. Not too sure if this will cover the ability to install it as a seperate library or not?
GPH could always intergrate it directly into the system though I suppose?

The last I heard was that they were releasing it with a new license that would allow Linux distributions to be released with it included. Not too sure if this will cover the ability to install it as a seperate library or not?
From everything I've read, the license chosen is the GPL. So, I believe that would cover installing it as a separate library and integration into the GP2X itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
From everything I've read, the license chosen is the GPL. So, I believe that would cover installing it as a separate library and integration into the GP2X itself.
yeah, its all gpl :).

yeah, its all gpl :).
no it aint, paps :)

first of all, its not gpl'ed yet, and even when it becomes, there will be some things not gpl'ed.

first of all, its not gpl'ed yet, and even when it becomes, there will be some things not gpl'ed.
Hmmm... I'll have to do more research on this and keep my eyes open to new info. coming out of Sun Microsystems. As I said, everything I've read so far is quoting it as being GPL'd.

Well we still have GCJ, which is the FSF's slightly ghetto free implementation of the JVM, as part of the GCC.

It doesn't do everything right and Sun's linux installer (for the pc) sucks, it just dumps its crap into a folder and expects you to sort it out. Hopefully that means there will be a nice Java package for me (and all them other linux users) to download with their package manager soon.

Well we still have GCJ, which is the FSF's slightly ghetto free implementation of the JVM, as part of the GCC.

It doesn't do everything right and Sun's linux installer (for the pc) sucks, it just dumps its crap into a folder and expects you to sort it out. Hopefully that means there will be a nice Java package for me (and all them other linux users) to download with their package manager soon.

You have it easy! Installing Sun's Java is a real pain for us BSD users. Although, it's getting easier.

I think this could be a great move for Sun. Especially with that softly spoken natural diplomat CEO of MICROS~1 talking about patents and the (in my opinion at least) insinuation that not paying Judas/SCO-vell's 'protection racket' for safe use of Mono etc may get your legs broke.

A free Debian/FreeBSD Java solution that's endorsed by RMS and just a few key presses away could be just what the doctor ordered!

Why .NET when you can apt-get? :lol:

You have it easy! Installing Sun's Java is a real pain for us BSD users.
No it's not. Just download the source from the FreeBSD Java page, then cd /usr/ports/java/diablo-jdk15 && make install clean. Or just download the binaries from the same place and pkg_add it. I guess if you're using Open or NetBSD there might be some problems, but on FreeBSD it's easy enough.

You have it easy! Installing Sun's Java is a real pain for us BSD users.
No it's not. Just download the source from the FreeBSD Java page, then cd /usr/ports/java/diablo-jdk15 && make install clean. Or just download the binaries from the same place and pkg_add it. I guess if you're using Open or NetBSD there might be some problems, but on FreeBSD it's easy enough.
You missed this bit: "Although, it's getting easier." <_<

It's not "getting" easier. It's already there. It's easier on BSD these days than it is on Linux, and has been for a while now.
and how is it different on linux? you know you cant just say that. on all distributions you can simply download the self extractor, run it and boom, you have java. granted, it wont be in your PATH.

and then on many distributions you can simply install it, just as easily as you say bsd can do..

for example ubuntu has java in its repositories, and gentoo too. (yes, even the official sun java, but gentoo also has the others, like ibm, blackdown and such..)

Back