Release SunVox (ultimate multiplatform synth/sampler/tracker)

First of all, how do I delete a note that I have entered in? In one Youtube video, I saw it recommended to use the DEL key to delete notes, because using backspace will not JUST delete the note, but also move all the other notes after it back a space (which you'll probably not want to do). But on the Pandora, using the DEL (shift+backspace) key doesn't seem to do anything at all.
AFAIK the non-functional del key is common for all Pandoras but there is some solution.
Oooh, thanks for that! Looks like something that ED should think about fixing in hotfix 6, since it's such a simple and basic thing. Although Fn+backspace isn't all that comfortable to be honest. Maybe I'll put Delete somewhere else...

Secondly, f9, f11 and f12 are used as keyboard shortcuts to play and stop. This is very awkward on the Pandora's keyboard. Maybe those could be moved to something else, such as shift+1, shift+2, shift+3? (most keys are already being used, but those ones don't seem to be. Don't use shift+4, though, because the tilde symbol is used for placing an "end note" mark, along with CAPS LOCK).
I personaly don't see the difference between pushing F9 and Shift+1 on Pandora, they are both double key presses.
Do you own a Pandora yourself? Try pressing both and see which is more comfortable... pressing F9-F12 is supremely awkward because both they and the Fn key are on the right side of the keyboard, so you either have to take your left hand away, or put your right hand in a weird position where your sideways thumb is pressing the Fn key and your index finger is pressing the F key. While with shift+1 for example, all you need to do is press the "L" shoulder with your index finger and the "1" with your thumb; much more natural.

Finally, does anyone know how to change the number of units in a pattern? (32 by default I think) This isn't Pandora-specific, I'm just kinda stuck.
Do you mean the length of the pattern? This can be changed in pattern properties from menu.
Yep, that's it. Is there some kind of shortcut for adding/removing lines from it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to get DEL to work by the method in there, but it doesn't seem to be working (maybe I have to restart or something until changes in .pndXmodmap are saved?). Anyway, for now I can get around the problem by using backspace to delete, then pressing INS (Fn+backspace) to insert in the space that was just removed.

One more question: what is the default playing speed, and is it possible to change it? I know that I can right click in the pattern window, click "set effect" and change it there... but I'm not sure what I have to enter in, or what it's counting as a "beat". How many lines are in a "beat"?)

EDIT: Never mind, found it. Main menu->song properties->BPM (beats per minute)

NightRadio cooked some new stuff in his kitchen B)

v1.6.4 (03 aug 2011):

new module: Side Chain Compressor;

new module: DrumSynth with 120 unique synthetic drum sounds;

new module: Amplifier;

added multitrack WAV export;

double click on the empty area of Sound Net -> Create a new module;

double click on some pattern of Timeline -> Open a window with pattern properties;

maximum BPM increased to 800;

interactive waveform drawing added to Generator (only for type 4 (dirty));

added new simple examples: compressor, drumsynth1-4;

added new examples: chain reaction;

iOS: added stereo mode to Input module;

iOS: added Online Help (in Main Menu);

many bugs fixed.
Updated pnd in the repo.

I need to try this when I get my Pandora back... I wonder if it's as easy as the composer in WarioWare DIY.

If you hook MIDI keyboard to it, it's round about 500 ms (my rough guess by ear), with Pandoras keys it's little bit better but not really usefull for live playing. I didn't try it but with overclocking and lowering the output bitrates and frequencies via config file might get you closer to better latencies at cost of compromising the sound quality.

*bump*

Really enjoying this, thanks for a very slick port. One issue though - fullscreen not working? I've looked at appdata/SunVox/sunvox_config.ini and played with the fullscreen parameter, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I'm running HF6b1. Was fullscreen working under HF5?

*bump*

Really enjoying this, thanks for a very slick port. One issue though - fullscreen not working? I've looked at appdata/SunVox/sunvox_config.ini and played with the fullscreen parameter, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I'm running HF6b1. Was fullscreen working under HF5?

Yes, it's working with HF5 (at least on my machine).

This line is in my config:

Code:
fullscreen 1

I'll have a look on HF6b hopefully in a week or so.

Sorry for late check. I get to Pandora way long after my holiday.

I installed HF6 final and fullscreen (from config) works for me.

In windowed mode I always have to click minimize/maximize window icon twice to get the whole SunVox workspace displayed properly but that was standard behavior in the past as well.

I also checked:

Code:
cat /dev/midi1

and saw some input while I pressed keys on Korg NanoKey, although these were all some weird characters. Raw MIDI perhaps?
Hi, I just discovered this awesome software SunVox. I'm very familiar with trackers, as I've been doing chipmusic with Atari ST for years.

Anyway, I would like to connect my microKORG to the OP and give it a try with SunVox. I have a M-Audio MIDISPORT 2x2 that I use sometimes for connecting my MIDI devices to the PC or Mac. In the USB compatibility list the MIDISPORT appears listed, so I thought it will work.

I'm not very familiar with Linux configuration. I did a ls /dev/ and I don't see any midi1 or similar. The MIDISPORT has a LED that turns on once you connect it to a computer. It doesn't happen with the OP.

Please, could somebody give some tips? Thanks a lot in advance.

It might be a USB 1.1 / 2.0 issue. Reboot your Pandora (to ensure USB is re-initialised) then connect your device through a hub. Open a terminal and enter

Code:
lsusb
and you should see it listed. (You may need to use sudo, try it without first)

If you ever use lsusb and get 'unable to enumerate device', that means the USB has crashed due to a 1.1 device being plugged in without a hub.

It might be a USB 1.1 / 2.0 issue. Reboot your Pandora (to ensure USB is re-initialised) then connect your device through a hub. Open a terminal and enter

Code:
lsusb

If you ever use lsusb and get 'unable to enumerate device', that means the USB has crashed due to a 1.1 device being plugged in without a hub.
Thanks a lot. I'll try. It has to be a self-powered hub?

Code:
lsusb
Yes, lsusb shows me now a list :)

• Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
  • Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
  • Alcor Micro Corp. Hi-Speed 21-in-1 Flash Card Reader/Writer (Internal/External)
  • Midiman MidiSport 2x2

So it seems like de MidiSport is detected (though the LED on the MidiSport doesn't turn on like when I connect it to a PC).

Still there isn't a /dev/midi1, but I did ls /dev/ before and after connecting the HUB and I've seen that with the HUB connected I get some extra entries:

1:0:0:0

1:0:0:1

1:0:0:2

1:0:0:3

sg1

sg2

sg3

usbdev1.5_ep00

usbdev1.5_ep81

usbdev1.6_ep00

usbdev1.6_ep01

usbdev1.6_ep82

usbdev1.7_ep00

EDIT: With the HUB connected, but without the MidiSport, thse entries are not there:

1:0:0:0

1:0:0:1

1:0:0:2

1:0:0:3

sg1

sg2

sg3

What should be the next step?

Thanks a lot for your help

Back