Release SunVox (ultimate multiplatform synth/sampler/tracker)

Ah sorry I missed your question. That might be as far as I'm able to help. I haven't gone as far as using MIDI hardware with Sunvox yet. If I find time I'll give it a go today, maybe I'll learn something useful.

[edit] Ok, some test results. First up I tested a Numark Dj2Go. Not my most stunning piece of gear; it's also a direct USB device, so no need for a MIDI adapter in between. After confirming it was present via lsusb, I jumped straight into Sunvox, clicked the spanner, opened Preferences and then MIDI. Clicking 'MIDI Keyboard' on the right, the dropdown menu listed the Numark. Once selected it behaved like a MIDI keyboard; the various cue and pitch buttons triggering notes. Not useful, but a successful test.

Then I plugged in my USB MIDI cable, and connected my Casio DG-20. Selecting 'USB MIDI cable' from the aforementioned dropdown menu had it up and running.

So, no need for me to delve into /dev (to be honest I would barely know what I was looking at in there anyway).

When you connect everything up and go into Sunvox MIDI settings, are you not seeing your MidiSport listed at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
Any generic USB MIDI cable should work. With combined audio-midi interfaces is often the problem the lack of linux drivers.

Hmm, do you have any other USB MIDI gear you can try? A generic USB MIDI cable perhaps?
I'll buy a USB MIDI cable to try and let you know. Thanks a lot.
OK, I bought this cable. It appears as USB MIDI cable in SunVox, and when I touch keys on the OP, it sounds on my MIDI keyboard, but I cannot do the other way (which is the one I'm interested). I tried 2 different keyboards (a Korg and a Yamaha). The MIDI IN LED is blinking all time, but nothing sounds or appears in SunVox :wacko:

OK, I bought this cable. It appears as USB MIDI cable in SunVox, and when I touch keys on the OP, it sounds on my MIDI keyboard, but I cannot do the other way (which is the one I'm interested). I tried 2 different keyboards (a Korg and a Yamaha). The MIDI IN LED is blinking all time, but nothing sounds or appears in SunVox :wacko:

I've just been experimenting a bit with my keyboard and sunvox on my netbook. It took a while to figure it out, but I'm wondering if you have enabled midi input. To do that open the main menu (the spanner at the upper right) select Preferences, then Midi and choose your midi device.

- Neelix

I've just been experimenting a bit with my keyboard and sunvox on my netbook. It took a while to figure it out, but I'm wondering if you have enabled midi input. To do that open the main menu (the spanner at the upper right) select Preferences, then Midi and choose your midi device.

- Neelix
Hi Neelix, thanks for the tip. Indeed I did, but nothing comes from the keyboard to SunVox.

In all my testing, I have not had anything connected to MIDI out. Have you tried with MIDI in only connected? Do double check the plugs aren't swapped too - I know that is borderline insulting advice, but I have the same cheap cable and I do it all the time.

And here we go again with the funky. Alex brought us some nice new features here and there. Especially the analogue generator is cool.

Enjoy the new version in the repo.

v1.7 (09 apr 2012):
  • ported to Android;
  • ported to Meego;
  • real-time recording of any types of sound events (notes, Touch Theremin, controllers changing); WARNING: recording is not available for PalmOS version;
  • if you want to enable/disable the metronome for recording - go to the Main Menu -> Preferences -> Recording -> Metronome = ON/OFF;
  • new module: Analog Generator with the following features: 32 double alias-free oscillators with internal 12/24dB filters; exponential envelopes; smooth parameters changing;
  • Bypass 'B' button has been added to the window with module's controllers;
  • View 'V' button has been added to the window with module's controllers: with this button you can change the view mode (one, two or four columns);
  • polyphony has been increased from 16 to 32 for the Sampler and the SpectraVoice;
  • number of sample slots has been increased from 16 to 128 for the Sampler;
  • "Roll-off" (dB per octave) controller has been added to the Filter module; available values: 12dB; 24dB; 36dB; 48dB;
  • now you can load samples through the "Load Module" file dialog; Sampler will be created automatically;
  • "Preview" button has been added to the "Load Module" file dialog;
  • mouse wheel is now enabled for any type of controllers and scrollbars;
  • mono mode has been added to the LFO module;
  • new features in the Main menu -> Edit: Shrink pattern and Expand pattern;
  • new standard pattern effects 40...5F - delay an event for selected fraction of the line (from 40 (0%) to 5F (100%));
  • new standard pattern effect 04 - vibrato with parameters FFAA, where the FF - frequency, AA - amplitude;
  • new standard pattern effect 22 - set the controller's value to the random number from 0 to PPPP (parameter);
  • new controller in the Filter module: "Exponential freq" for exponential frequency;
  • new function "Stereo to mono" added to the Sampler (sample editor);
  • new sunvox_config file option: pencontrol - force UI (User Interface) optimization for Pen/Mouse control;
  • new sunvox_config file option: ppi - pixels per inch; example: ppi 160;
  • new sunvox_config file option: scale - UI scale factor (normal=256); example: scale 128 //reduce the size of UI items in half;
  • new sunvox_config file option: synths_min_num - minimum number of modules on x-axis;
  • new parameters (Control Type and Scale) in the Preferences for the UI scale configuration; use it if you want larger or smaller interface elements;
  • Windows: now DirectSound is default sound system; but if you need ASIO output, just select it in the sunvox_config.ini file (audiodriver asio);
  • iOS: "Create Directory" feature added to the Wi-Fi file browser;
  • new examples: electrohouse, afternoon, pong, space_trip, 8bit_tales, sfields1, 1bit;
  • new instruments;
  • sound engine optimization;
  • many bugs fixed.

Thanks for the update. :) I would still like to a see a true fullscreen mode, not just maximised. I grabbed these lines from another PND and put them at the start of sunvox.sh:

Code:
export SDL_VIDEODRIVER=omapdss

export SDL_OMAP_LAYER_SIZE=fullscreen

Did the trick. (ps. I have no idea if there's any reason this shouldn't be done.)

Is your solution anyhow different from setting "fullscreen 1" in the sunvox settings file? (should be located in the app folder) Also, you should be able to change the ppi and scaling of UI in the latest version. (again, possible to set this in the setting file)

yeah! another update! thought not used program much recently good to know maintainer is on top of things. thanks cube48!

All right, I'll have a look on it when I get home. Can you still Alt+Tab to a desktop when in this forced fullscreen?

For info, i can run sunvox under Slack. I just had to symlink libpthead... to libpthead-stubs...

I provide a realtime kernel so if someone wants to test, he just have to use the 13.37 and install and configure the r_limits.

Back