Super Gp2x Mod! Everything Fixed

segasonicfan

Still Fresh
So I've had my GP2X for a while and I quickly found that this great little system has 3 major flaws:

1) Video interference (MK1 only from what I hear)

2) Poor controls (stick really not responsive enough)

3) weak audio output level through headphone jack (very weak...)

So being the insane modder I am I set out to fix these bugs!

First, here's the pics:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/Seg...an/gp2xmod6.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/Seg...an/gp2xmod5.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/Seg...an/GP2xmod4.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/Seg...an/gp2xmod3.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/Seg...an/gp2xmod2.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/Seg...an/gp2xmod1.jpg

Now for what I did:

First, I tackled the interference problem as much as I could. From what I guessed, the power input was poorly bypassed. I added some nice tantalums and SMD caps to really smooth out everything. Additionally I added a grounding pad over all the main processors to limit RF interference. As you can see in the pics I grounded the screen through a set of wires (amazing that it wasn't grounded before) and I added a small lead to press down on from the copper pad to further ground it. Thinking back on it I should probably ground it even more...maybe in the future.

Next thing was to tackle the controller stick. I really didn't want to add in a new one especially since sourcing one small enough need salvaging from a broken portable. So I decided to fix the stick instead. I opened everything up and added solder to all the directions which raises the contact point. After a good bit of testing I found that this mod GREATLY improves the response of the stick.

Finally, to fix the audio problem. I was going to put a new amp in for the headphones but came up with a better idea: pull the speaker audio into the headphones and make a switch to swap between the two.
The speaker amp is surprisingly great quality and the switch also helps keep the speakers muted even when using the other headphone input (I found that the mute sense often came unplugged). Well the sound is amazing and really top notch quality. Now finally I can hurt my ears ^_^

-Segasonicfan

I like what you did with the controller stick. This might help alot of people who want to improve their experience, but don't feel confident to do a full d-pad mod. You also get to keep the stick click button.

I find the Mk2 stick quite ok though, so I won't be touching mine. ;)

Edit: Oh and as for headphone sound volume. My Mk2 is really loud. Too loud if anything I would say. I have to turn my headphone's independent volume to minimum. So I guess Gamepark Holdings fixed that issue.

Sounds fantastic, especially the controller mod. I'm a huge fan of joysticks (they don't hurt my thumb; every d-pad I've used for longer than 20 minutes has done) so a simple method of making it work better is very nice to know of. At least as long as you've a soldering iron handy, but hey, I can probably borrow my dad's as and when I get round to trying this. If I do.

I imagine this technique would also help in resurrecting a dead middle-click, with a bit of luck :)

Tobriand posted on Feb 18 2007 at 11:38 AM said:
I'm a huge fan of joysticks (they don't hurt my thumb; every d-pad I've used for longer than 20 minutes has done)

You should try a DaveC joypad mod on your GP2X, its super comfy. Its just the right size that you don't need to slide your thumb around you just rock the pad, and because it uses microswitches you don't need to push down really hard in order to make a connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ey man, your the mad :ph34r:
But that's rather cool, because I always wanted better audio quality.Igot the mk1 also, but the stick is not that bad-okay I'll get my daveC when ED's gonna get some mk1 mods....
Great work,man :D

mfg,
Cheese

way cool! i will definately try that stick mod. I never really complained about the stick as it didn't really annoy me much but seeing that this is quite easy to do and not such a violent mod as changing stick controls to a d-pad I might very well do this.

does the mute button (for the speakers) work when you use the Ext plug (tv out) ? i still get sound out of the 2x when using the tvout

nah, it just works to mute the actual speakers, swapping the output to the new headphone jack.

Edit: Oh and as for headphone sound volume. My Mk2 is really loud. Too loud if anything I would say. I have to turn my headphone's independent volume to minimum. So I guess Gamepark Holdings fixed that issue.

That's great news...can other ppl vouch for this?

as far as the stick mod goes: it's not as easy as it looks. Granted, it's not super difficult but it certainly isn't easy. Getting the top off is a pain, I actually went ahead and cut the 2 metal connections and resoldered them later (worked great for testing). Lining everything up with the spring inside and getting it all put back together was a pain too. Also, make sure you have a pencil tip soldering iron to reach in there- it takes a little skill and a steady hand to do the job without melting the surrounding plastic. Finally, make sure you have some desoldering braid on hand. If you get too much solder on the contacts the braid works great to pull it off and start over. Also, I recommend only adding solder "bumps" to the up, down, left, and right directions (which is what I did shortly after taking the pic).

-Segasonicfan

Hehe, nice job. So do you guys like have multiple GP2X's to test on? Or are you all just very brave in taking the chance of improving the device, or completely ruining it? Or maybe you just have a good history of doing stuff simialar to this? :ph34r:

lowered deadzone is KEY. I wish I was skilled enough to pull this off.

once again sir you have amazed me. genesis/cd/32x/sms portable, Tiny superguns, all sorts of sweet modding services, and now this. Very nicely done.

wow, so great to see such positive responses! keep em coming...heheh :D

BTW, I am seriously thinking about doing this controller mod for people as part of my modding service. I'd charge something like $25 for the work if there's any interest. Just thought I'd throw that out there (not trying to be some money grubbing salesman) I just do a lot of this stuff for people already and it makes such a huge difference for gameplay. I played Magical Drop yesterday and got to my normal final stage (27) cause the controls are so much tighter. :)

I also want to improve the GP2x scene for what I can do (hardware) since I can't code at all. It's a fantastic handheld and maybe by improving these hardware flaws I can inspire more homebrew/sales? That would be nice.

-Segasonicfan

When I first thought about improving control I thought about some sort of shim/spacer on the contacts. I went the joypad route instead as I didn't think the spacer idea was very robust.

Let us know how the joystick holds up after some time. It would seem that the soft tin solder may wear down after awhile.

Let us know how the joystick holds up after some time. It would seem that the soft tin solder may wear down after awhile.

Nah that's very unlikely if not impossible. There is so much extra solder that even of some did get skimmed off the top there would be plenty left for great contact. The only future problem might be tiny solder dust bits rubbing off, but even that would take years (look at the Neo Geo CD pad friction problem with soft plastic).

I think it's definitely a solid mod and that these concerns are super unlikely. but I guess time will tell..

-Segasonicfan

I have a mkI but I don't know the video interference thing, care to explain?
The second and third issue on the other hand... they really drive me nuts :(

I think I'd definitely want to get this mod done. Although I'd like to see what the DaveC Ngage QD mod is like. I think I might prefer the stick.

segasonicfan posted on Feb 19 2007 at 02:30 PM said:

Nah that's very unlikely if not impossible. There is so much extra solder that even of some did get skimmed off the top there would be plenty left for great contact. The only future problem might be tiny solder dust bits rubbing off, but even that would take years (look at the Neo Geo CD pad friction problem with soft plastic).

I think it's definitely a solid mod and that these concerns are super unlikely. but I guess time will tell..

-Segasonicfan

I tried doing the joystick mod, too. Even though it looks simple, the height of each bump should be similar otherwise you lose some directions. What made it hard for me is the fact that I did not have my sharp tipped iron at home, so I used coldheat iron which still works but require a bit of a work :rolleyes: Anyways, after the mod I had a couple of instances where I released out the top metal simply by pushing the stick a little harder; hence I do not think the solder would be a permanent holder. However, I feel that the durability can be improved easily by some superglue to seal it (if it attaches to the plastic beneath) or some metal-plastic epoxy.

An important tip for any potential modders: the golden pin (shaft) can actually go deep into the brown, gear shaped plastic thingy. If you find yourself unable to close the whole joystick, try to fit the shaft better into that brown plastic :)

Nevertheless, it is a very nice mod, thanks for all the efforts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back