Super Gp2x Mod! Everything Fixed

I tried doing the joystick mod, too. Even though it looks simple, the height of each bump should be similar otherwise you lose some directions. What made it hard for me is the fact that I did not have my sharp tipped iron at home, so I used coldheat iron which still works but require a bit of a work rolleyes.gif Anyways, after the mod I had a couple of instances where I released out the top metal simply by pushing the stick a little harder; hence I do not think the solder would be a permanent holder. However, I feel that the durability can be improved easily by some superglue to seal it (if it attaches to the plastic beneath) or some metal-plastic epoxy.

An important tip for any potential modders: the golden pin (shaft) can actually go deep into the brown, gear shaped plastic thingy. If you find yourself unable to close the whole joystick, try to fit the shaft better into that brown plastic smile.gif

Nevertheless, it is a very nice mod, thanks for all the efforts.

Glad to see someone else doing the mod :) Strange that the solder didnt hold for your case, maybe you iron wasn't hot enough to make a solid connection? It holds amazingly well for me but I heated my iron alot and put an excess amount for a contact that would hold.

Nice to know everything worked out...plays a lot better, doesn't it? :)

-Segasonicfan

segasonicfan posted on Feb 21 2007 at 09:10 PM said:
Glad to see someone else doing the mod :) Strange that the solder didnt hold for your case, maybe you iron wasn't hot enough to make a solid connection? It holds amazingly well for me but I heated my iron alot and put an excess amount for a contact that would hold.

Nice to know everything worked out...plays a lot better, doesn't it? :)

-Segasonicfan

I think you are right, the soldering iron was not too hot. I plan to use my soldering iron at work, so hopefully it would improve the stability a lot. However, I just did not have time to actually do it yet :)

And yes, it becomes a lot better after the deadzone is reduced. It helps a lot to reduce the response time and makes the switching (left-right, up-down) faster; plus it retains the stick click.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back