Super Mario 64 = black screen

Valpskott

Still Fresh
I downloaded Mupen64, tried Mario, it worked... then I tried Zelda OOT, didn't work... then I found a version which had a fix for OOT, installed it and it worked... and ever since Mario64 keeps freezing the Pandora(black screen upon loading the rom). Today I thought I would sort it out. Downloaded 3 diffrent versions of Mupen (2 of them from http://apps.open-pandora.org/ and the last one from http://dl.openhandhelds.org/).

1, I removed the application data + the PNDs on the SD card for Mupen.

2, Then I installed them one at a time.

3, Tested Mario = Black screen

4, Removed appdata + PND.

5, Installed the next Mupen PND and tried Mario again, same result.

Other games works(Zelda OOT and Tony Hawk)... but not Mario.. it only worked that one time.

I read on the forums about someone having trouble with the speed, where people suggested other plugins... so I set mine to

Video Plugin: v0.0.5

Audio Plugin: notaz's OSS audio r2

Rest should be default.

Is there any other place where Mupen data is saved?

Or anything else that I should test?

Just a quick question here in this topic.

Are there maybe other Video/Graphics Plugins for Mupen? , there are only 2 in the list (0.4 and 0.5)

:eek:

BTW , Mario is just working fine on my pandy B) , even the audio is perfect.

Maybe try a full reflash of your Pandora?

I'd rather not reflash(already done it once, but for diffrent reason before even installing Mupen). Setting everything up again with customization just takes too long. I'd prefer waiting for other options first. I've been using Linux since 2007, so if there is anything that gets saved in the system under root(/) I probably know how to fiddle("sudo rm" hehe) with it.

Edit: Clarification

That is, I'd rather know what went wrong and fix it, than just do a complete flash just because of a minor issue in an Emulator and end up clueless of what went wrong(and making the same mistake again).

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe try a full reflash of your Pandora?

I'd rather not reflash(already done it once, but for diffrent reason before even installing Mupen). Setting everything up again with customization just takes too long. I'd prefer waiting for other options first. I've been using Linux since 2007, so if there is anything that gets saved in the system under root(/) I probably know how to fiddle("sudo rm" hehe) with it.

Edit: Clarification

That is, I'd rather know what went wrong and fix it, than just do a complete flash just because of a minor issue in an Emulator and end up clueless of what went wrong(and making the same mistake again).

I take it you tried deleting and redownloading the mupen PND.. also delete any mupen directories in the /pandora/appdata/ directory?

Just could be some odd config file entry causing issues or corrupt PND.. or hell the ROM could of been corrupted on the SD card.. I've had odd issues with SD cards corrupting data..

I take it you tried deleting and redownloading the mupen PND.. also delete any mupen directories in the /pandora/appdata/ directory?

Just could be some odd config file entry causing issues or corrupt PND.. or hell the ROM could of been corrupted on the SD card.. I've had odd issues with SD cards corrupting data..

Yeah, as I said in the original post, I downloaded 3 diffrent versions of Mupen(after the problem occured), deleted both the PND and the Mupen-directories in appdata(on the SD card) before installing a new Mupen PND(and I tried all 3 PND:s by this method of deleting before installing).

It might be the Rom as you suggested... I've noticed that the Mario rom does not show any name in Mupen while the others do, that lends credence to it being broken, but I think the Empty name was like that from the beginning (I managed to start it once) but I can't remember for sure. I'll try it after work, thanks for the suggestion :)

try to delete mupen's appdatafolder: /media/yoursdcard/pandora/appdata/mupenxx

I should read before I answer ;)

Do ANY 3D games work?

Sounds like you have a wrong Graphics driver compared to the kernel... maybe a broken Hotfix Upgrade?

Ahh, I should probably check back when the problem is fixed(and leave a report).... which it now is.

I deleted the Mario 64 Rom and copied a new copy over to the SD-card (just as TrashyMG suggested). And it fixed the problem... now I can play Mario 64 again :D

I had previously shuffled the data back and forth between my Pandora and 2 computers... once because every time I inserted the card, the name of the card kept changing, so I formatted it... and once because I needed an empty SD card in a camera I borrowed.

Guess the datatransfers wasn't 100% accurate after that.

Thanks for the support! :)

Back